My first impressions of 0.A release

1600x900 resolution causes game to crash when full screen.
I tried to make the game fill my widescreen 16:9 ratio monitor and it crashes when it tries to render the screen.

In the character creation menu under profession the Bionic solder flavour text cuts off and no way of scrolling it.

Grenade explosion blasts through solid walls.
I blew a hole in the side of a bunker with some dynamite and then I threw a Grenade in and ran around to the side of the building that did not have a hole blasted into it. I got caught in the blast even though there was a metal wall between me and the source of the explosion and no damage was done to that wall.

Labs get really cold the lower you get (Feature?) like -50 degrees on the 4th level. Is this intentional it makes exploring a pain in the ass because I was Very Cold even though most of my body had lots of clothing except for my face and there is not many items that cover the face to provide warmth.

Items in inventory assigned a blank character tag. I don’t know how to reproduce it but I got some items (plastic bottle of clean water) that have a blank letter assigned to them.

Impressions or critics? Anyways, most of them are things that are trying to be fixed, specially lag-crash based things.

Labs were too easy to explore. So I made half the labs get really really cold for each floor lower you went. :slight_smile:

The lab and blank items are both intended. Half of the labs are ice labs, which get colder as you descend. As for the items, in order to allow the player to carry more than 75 or so items it was necessary to make it stop assigning characters at a point. You can reassign new characters to items by hitting ‘=’ and then manually using the up/down arrow keys to select the item.

Could we make some kinds of inventory stuff get priority while assigning letters? Because sometimes there is stuff we don’t use much while there are other things that we do, and having to look for them is kind of stressing, even knowing it’s just 3 seconds.

Could we make some kinds of inventory stuff get priority while assigning letters? Because sometimes there is stuff we don’t use much while there are other things that we do, and having to look for them is kind of stressing, even knowing it’s just 3 seconds.[/quote]

PRESS I FOR ENVENTORY. USE ARROW KEYS TO NAVIGATE TO ITEM. Then press a or whatever you are doing. Clothing auto gets a letter.

At the moment I believe it will automatically try to give an inventory letter to the same item as it was last assigned. For example if you last assigned the letter ‘B’ for your plastic water Bottle then if you pick up new water bottles it will try to assign the key ‘B’ to them.

Could we make some kinds of inventory stuff get priority while assigning letters? Because sometimes there is stuff we don’t use much while there are other things that we do, and having to look for them is kind of stressing, even knowing it’s just 3 seconds.[/quote]

PRESS I FOR ENVENTORY. USE ARROW KEYS TO NAVIGATE TO ITEM. Then press a or whatever you are doing. Clothing auto gets a letter.[/quote]

Thanks for the obvious and incredibly helpful guide. I asked something, no need to be like that.

[glow=red,2,300]Welp, there goes my general game strategy[/glow]. THANKS

Can i transfer a .9 game save to .A?

They should be compatible, yes (though you won’t get any new map features until you start to explore ungenerated areas).

Ice labs need adjustment; at 50 degrees below zero things start getting really absurd. That sort of environment would ruin most of the items you’d find in a lab and render most of the systems inoperable.

Agreed, when you get to 50 degrees below 0, there should probably be no edible food. Just frozen dinners, frozen vegetables, and popsicles. You shouldn’t be allowed to use liquids, which will freeze there. It’s possible that they may have specially designed computers for cold weather in the future.

Things other than the player should be affected by extreme temperatures as well. Even if they aren’t subject to stuff like hypothermia, being trapped in a glacially cold area wearing nothing but a lab coat and some panties would take its physical toll on a zombie’s body.

I don’t think lab coats and panties should exist at the bottom of ice labs. Instead, special antarctic coats and mammoth fur jackets should be more common. Perhaps the monsters should gradiently change to become ice skeletons, simulcra, and martians.

I read somewhere here earlier that ice labs are not supposed to be deliberately cold environments, they’re labs which have been rendered unnaturally cold due to the presence of some subprime portal or something within them.

one more thing, a temperature difference of 100+ degrees would created monster convection winds tearing from and into the depths of the lab until the temperature is equalized, unless there is a constant source of cold air like the aforementioned portal, in which case it would be just blowing out from the depths, and with such a temperature difference, it would be a significant wind through (relatively small for such a difference) doorways or staircases. it definitely adds some depth to the game, i am just an engineering student eager to seem smart :stuck_out_tongue:

and yes this seems more like a list of critical observations than “first impressions” lol. semantics.

also, i think a concussive shockwave would indeed travel through a metal wall; enegy may be absorbed by the wall but depending on the thickness (whatever thickness a tile is) there will still be sufficient energy to shake your insides up and do some damage, and thats if it doesnt completely knock you on your ass.

although, if you were outside a metal building, and a grenade went off just inside the wall, idk… it would depend on the case. keep in mind that theoretically, these “metal walls” are the same thickness of the “canvas walls” of FEMA camps and the windows that line buildings

So, about transferring my save…I did. And now there are shit tons of sinkholes in the lab. NO, the lab is not in a swamp, far from it actually. I hit about 3 sinkholes just dragging my ass out of the place, before falling right in front of a turret. So long, Sterling Archer. RIP

So yeah this is more of a thread of criticisms and odd things in the game here are a few more.

eyebot corpse is butcherable. kill and eyebot and the corpse is butcherable although I did not get any items from it.

Gun mods listed as Bionics. In the inventory the gun mods are listed under Bionics I think this is wierd but its not a big deal.

It’s really hard to learn recipes from books (101 crafts for beginners) I spend entire days reading 101 crafts for beginners and still only end up learning 1 recipe if I am lucky. I still cant find a recipe for a lightstrip…

Turrets have unlimited ammo making them slightly OP IMO.

[quote=“Champagne, post:18, topic:5342”]So yeah this is more of a thread of criticisms and odd things in the game here are a few more.

eyebot corpse is butcherable. kill and eyebot and the corpse is butcherable although I did not get any items from it.

Gun mods listed as Bionics. In the inventory the gun mods are listed under Bionics I think this is wierd but its not a big deal.

It’s really hard to learn recipes from books (101 crafts for beginners) I spend entire days reading 101 crafts for beginners and still only end up learning 1 recipe if I am lucky. I still cant find a recipe for a lightstrip…

Turrets have unlimited ammo making them slightly OP IMO.[/quote]

Eyebots: Yeah, lot of robot corpses are butcherable. Perhaps we could create some sort of solution for that. Or rename any references to ‘butchering’ to ‘deconstruction of the remains’.

Gun mods: This should have been fixed. For me they got displayed under the ‘mods’ section. Sure you are playing with 0.A? Or could you give the gun mod that is misbehaving? Somebody might have missed a category.

Books: yeah, annoying I agree.

Turrets are op, and very dangerous. By design I guess. shrug (Not my department, :wink: ).

dont mess with turrets without some form of explosive launcher. thats my strategy. and there is an electronics book for the lightstrip recipe, though the name escapes me… it is a beginner electronics book, easily found in libraries or electronics stores