Mining in Cataclysm DDA, and extending woodland survival a bit

I’ve gonna eat the next person that fails to remember that the construction menu exists. :V

And…you’re using stable, bloody hell.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:21, topic:10811”]I’ve gonna eat the next person that fails to remember that the construction menu exists. :V

And…you’re using stable, bloody hell.[/quote]
What do you mean? There’s more versions?

facepalms

http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

Experimental versions, right sidebar. It’s been a thing for quite some time.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:23, topic:10811”]facepalms

http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

Experimental versions, right sidebar. It’s been a thing for quite some time.[/quote]
I-I honestly never knew about this. I just assumed we got dev logs until the new release happened, like with Dwarf Fortress.
In fact, I kind of thought the game was dying out.

Is fine. But yeah, lot of content getting added with regularity. <3

1 Like

If I might ask, is the experimental build playable relative to release C?

Usually it is. There’s an outstanding bug involving shoulder straps from guns causing crashes, a fix for which has just been merged. Give it a bit and the next build should be glitch-free. o3o

If I might ask, what’s the general timeframe for release D?

Currently isn’t being considered until a few major dev projects are finished. Z-level mode is being fleshed out with the intent of being the norm, and NPCs are in general being unfucked.

For me, it's less a matter of practicality, and more a matter of having an alternative source of metal, so us woodland survival folks can be somewhat more self-sufficient without raiding towns.
Now that I think of it. You can scavenge metal by breaking random cars at the road. They are there quite often (in fact way too often) and despite it being pretty tiring process without certain CBMs or shittons of explosives it works and you don't need to raid towns.

As for the idea I can say one thing: it’s there already. However, it requires a lot of time, resources and luck to use it proficiently, but the idea being that you mine your way up to a lab and break into from underground.

We do have mines and natural caves, but they’re done in code and not json, making them more annoying (imo) to add. For extremely simplified planning purposes, a basic list of potential metals/mineables:

[ul][li] Iron (possibly add in steel processing while we’re at it)[/li]
[li] Copper [/li]
[li] Tin [/li]
[li] Silver [/li]
[li] Gold [/li]
[li] Lead [/li]
[li] Aluminum (requires intensive processing, also not that useful currently) [/li]
[li] Coal (pretty sure this is already in and mineable) [/li]
[li] Sulfur? (No clue how this is mined/harvested tbh. Edit: cursory investigation indicates it’s often a byproduct of smelting processes. I can cover lead, silver, and sulfur by adding galena processing.) [/li]
[li] Salt (Again, I think this is in) [/li][/ul]

Those are the obvious ones I could think of. I don’t mind json’ing out the terrains, items, and recipes for processing for them if someone wants to commit to heading into the twisty tunnels of the mine and cavern code to make them spawn.

Sulfur is generally found around volcanos, lava vents etc.
Otherwise it’s usually found as sulphates or metal sulfides bonded to other stuff. According to wiki apparently the main production method today is by filtering it out of crude oil.

Like I said before the easiest way would probably be just add a class of monster that drops some sulfur when killed and emits poisonous gas. Alternatively, some kind of industrial refinery. By the way the leaky barrels I meant before don’t really need to leak, we could just define some puddles of acid or something to make them appear leaky. Non-working conveyor belts would be a bummer though.

As to salt, we’ve already got easy ways of that. Go to a swamp and boiling salt water will give you more meat jerky than you’ll ever need.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:30, topic:10811”]

For me, it’s less a matter of practicality, and more a matter of having an alternative source of metal, so us woodland survival folks can be somewhat more self-sufficient without raiding towns.

Now that I think of it. You can scavenge metal by breaking random cars at the road. They are there quite often (in fact way too often) and despite it being pretty tiring process without certain CBMs
or shittons of explosives it works and you don’t need to raid towns.

As for the idea I can say one thing: it’s there already. However, it requires a lot of time, resources and luck to use it proficiently, but the idea being that you mine your way up to a lab and break into from underground.[/quote]
That still isn’t outright having ore on hand.
I’m talking full Minecraftian-woodland survival. As in nothing but trees, and animals.
Also, is there any way to mine stone without using a metal pickaxe or a jackhammer?
Maybe have some kind of stone chisel that breaks in one use, takes 2 stones to make, and takes like 10 hours to break down a single block of rock?

Maybe give ore a somewhat similar algorithm to trees where they’ll just randomly pop up. Hell, plastic can be produced via cellulose (e.g. using a byproduct of certain plants), or of crude oil that we may be able to find underground, should we dig deep enough.

Also now that I think about it, there should be a way to naturally get plastic without milk and bleach, both of which require raiding towns. Or maybe some alternative to plastic in some of the tool recipes.

Forgot to mention I actually already added a pull request for chunks of sulfur spawning near lava vents/fumaroles. So hey, innawoods has access to sulfur now. I don’t think it can get black powder yet though.

Nice jokermatt! Good work.

I’d just like a purpose to mining other than stones. Getting steel/iron is already easy enough. Copper is getting easier to get, and aluminum is not really reasonable in the new england region. ore would be nice for a touch of reality, but not really useful when there are so many more readily available sources unless you like to play with as little time in towns as possible.

[quote=“saltmummy626, post:35, topic:10811”]Nice jokermatt! Good work.

I’d just like a purpose to mining other than stones. Getting steel/iron is already easy enough. Copper is getting easier to get, and aluminum is not really reasonable in the new england region. ore would be nice for a touch of reality, but not really useful when there are so many more readily available sources unless you like to play with as little time in towns as possible.[/quote]
That is exactly what I’m talking about. No towns, full 100% woodland survival, with all the complexities that come with starting over with literally nothing.
Ore can be somewhat rare, and it definitely will be a lengthy process. All we need is a way to mine without a steel pickaxe.

Hmm. I recall that antlers were one prehistoric alternative for stone mining. Also, fire-setting could facilitate a player’s ability to access resources with the need for less digging.

[quote=“majesty327, post:36, topic:10811”]That is exactly what I’m talking about. No towns, full 100% woodland survival, with all the complexities that come with starting over with literally nothing.
Ore can be somewhat rare, and it definitely will be a lengthy process. All we need is a way to mine without a steel pickaxe.[/quote]
Where feasible, we like to support all kinds of crafting, but a single person mining by hand for ore, smelting it, and making things out of it is not remotely feasible, especially if that person is scavenging for food and other supplies at the same time. If someone wants to make a mod enabling this kind of thing, that’s awesome and we’ll support them with code in the game to support it as necessary, but anything remotely resembling “industry” is not going to be in the default game content.

Exactly why I prefer that the mining focus should put priority on things that would be feasible to work with individually, without much need for processing. It would limit the amount of things the player can mine for, but allow us to put off adding the ability to re-start industry until we’ve already fleshed out the smaller-scale options.

From my research, it looks like smelting and processing a lot of basic metals by one person would be stupidly time consuming, hard labor, and definitely not worth it versus scavenging, but I don’t see why it’s not possible. I don’t mean aluminum processing, but basic iron, tin, and copper at least should be feasible, even if it isn’t easy. After all, prehistoric cavemen achieved it.