Milk (Rotten)

It just ocurred to me. Why is all the milk you find already rotten? Isn’t the cataclysm supposed to have happened a small time before the start of the game?

Game start is 5 days after zeds hit critical mass* in New England. Power’s been out for a while. Even though it’s around March or so, still not the safest conditions for food storage.

*Enough that the infection/rezzing spread faster than it could be contained.

I think the assumption is that one of the first things to go would be power, and without proper refrigeration, milk goes bad pretty quickly. Left out at typical summer temperatures of around 25-30°C, milk can easily spoil in a few hours.

Yes, but the game starts on Jan 1 (or Spring 1 in this case). But still, milk does go bad quickly, just maybe not that quickly.

Who knows how long that cow squeezing was sitting in the fridge before the power died.

And furthermore who cares? The end of the world means that those of us who are lactose intolerant no longer have to have the wretched moo juice offered to us by well meaning but uninformed people!

Freedom!

[quote=“Rivet, post:5, topic:2343”]Who knows how long that cow squeezing was sitting in the fridge before the power died.

And furthermore who cares? The end of the world means that those of us who are lactose intolerant no longer have to have the wretched moo juice offered to us by well meaning but uninformed people!

Freedom![/quote]

Nut/soy/rice milks come in aseptic packaging. Should keep for at least a month or two. Worthwhile to add?

Or powder milk + water = somewhat regular milk?

Follows KA101’s ideas.

[quote=“Otaku, post:7, topic:2343”]Or powder milk + water = somewhat regular milk?

Follows KA101’s ideas.[/quote]

But then Rivet gets lactose’d again. :frowning:

[quote=“KA101, post:8, topic:2343”][quote=“Otaku, post:7, topic:2343”]Or powder milk + water = somewhat regular milk?

But then Rivet gets lactose’d again. :-([/quote]

THINK OF THE WOMAN LACTOSE PEOPLE.

Also, what about baby powder? Same as powdered milk. Here in NZ we dont really have the problem of milk going bad unless its left in the fridge for awhile, even if the powers off its not really that hot here, at the hottest temperature in summer its around 25C, and on average its like 15-20C

[quote=“KA101, post:8, topic:2343”][quote=“Otaku, post:7, topic:2343”]Or powder milk + water = somewhat regular milk?

But then Rivet gets lactose’d again. :-([/quote]
A new game trait? Probably not.
Is there lactate in powder milk? How about skim milk powder? Or any other non nut/soy/rice milks?

im sure rivets not the only lactose person on the forum, especially the only lactose girl, I try not to point gender out on the forums xD

Hm, add cows and add the option to ‘milk them’ and deer. Milk deer

A jerrycan full of chocolate milk.

[quote=“AerialK7, post:11, topic:2343”]im sure rivets not the lactose person on the forum, especially the only lactose girl, I try not to point gender out on the forums xD

Hm, add cows and add the option to ‘milk them’ and deer. Milk deer[/quote]

Well, just since you dont like it I will point it out.
Add milking option to female NPCs. Just for the inappropriate theme.

Jordan (me) made a mistake in his last post, and has fixed it

and yeh…heres a post. The woman would have to be pregnant first (and in the late weeks)

I think milk goes bad after 30 min in game.

Cataclysm characters are lucky since none are lactose intolerant. I’d kill a few dozen zombies to be able to eat ice cream.

In all seriousness though being able to find yourself (or trade a NPC for) a milk cow like in The Unreal World would be very nice for a long-term survivor. Hit her up once or twice a day and keep your character supplied with milk so that it’s got more of a function in the game than being what amounts to a joke item found in refrigerators.

And seriously, human milk? I was about to say, ‘This has got to be the first videogame to even consider having adults consuming breastmilk in order to stave off starvation,’ but then I remembered how incredibly depraved videogames can be. Or perhaps it could be a touching affirmation of humanity, shades of ‘The Grapes of Wrath’.

Also for some reason the phrase ‘deer milk’ makes me laugh like a fool. I should probably keep away from these sort of discussions while in an altered state.

Oh hey there Rivet, I noticed you were possibly intoxicated or high. (or maybe just tired) Give me what you’re having. I need to be dazed and distracted, like, right now;-; depression kicking back in guh>.<

Was an article in the paper here about camel milk making a comeback. $11/pint or somesuch though. X-(

Re human milk: that was in Proletarian Lit as something a dementia-ridden factory owner did. Open-source can also be rather depraved, to put it nicely. (And IIRC some London (England) folks decided to make ice cream from human milk IRL, with the humans in question apparently being enthusiastic about the project. ???) In any event, I don’t think we need that sort of thing in Cata. Oppose.

Re milking non-humans: cattle, etc could be interesting…until one recalls that there’s a Cattle mutation category. See previous paragraph. :frowning:

XKCD, always appropriate.

As for the milking part, it was only really meant as a joke. As for milking cows/deers/camels/etc. I dont think they would be able to survive the eating humans (cow, double pun), they would run away before you can milk them (deer) and New England is too cold for them (camels).

Here is actually a serious idea, goat milk. Often made here in Nepal into some great cheeses, but still /sorta/ nice as a milk.

On an unrelated note camel milk is actually pretty tasty, but woofully limit stock.

You’d be suprized at the shit people do. I wouldn’t enjoy drinking human milk. Diseases 'n stuff, HIV is rather bad.