Methods and Workarounds for Metal Doors?

I have slain many foes, be it Triffid, Hulk, Fungus, or some other inter-dimentional horror. There are few enemies which I cannot best, through skill or patience, but there is one enemy which has me leaving even the most promising l00t behind: The Mighty Metal Door.
Dynamite can destroy the concrete walls around it but not the metal door itself!? I’m at a loss, besides mininukes. What less-lethal-than-mininukes methods do you have for destroying this mighty enemy?

1 Like

I may be remembering incorrectly but can’t you lockpick metal doors?

Somewhere around here, someone posted their car design, which included a long, reinforced probe for poking holes in buildings and giving you a lockable passage between them and the interior of your deathmobile. I don’t know if they work in the latest experiementals, but I can tell you they are great for bypassing the OPness of metal doors in older versions.

A settling torch.

I’m using experimental 5677 from sometime last month, and you still can’t pick metal doors, I read that at one point you could, but that was before I found the game. And that door-ram seems like a good idea for the surface, but what about secluded and hard to navigate areas like deep labs and- as I recently discovered, the absolutely BRUTAL challenges of the vaults, which are entirely metal and hard in every possible way to explore?

Depends on the door. Gunstore doors can be lock picked. Metal lab, bunker, and bank vault doors cannot be picked.

You can use an acetylene torch to cut through the door. Sonic Resonator can destroy them too. Dynamite should work, but you need to make sure it lands right next to the door. Preferably in a corner to focus the blast wave. But yeah, in both cases they’ll usually just destroy concrete walls before the door so you might as well just have a jackhammer for all your lab/bunker busting needs and hack the bank vaults.

Sonic resonator works, but very rarely. Also, MMR with hydraulic muscles and a sledgehammer has trouble breaking them down with smashing. Metal doors are tough.

just use a jackhammer of any sort.
on the walls near the door by the way.the damm doors are made out of god knows what.
i have seen them offer cover against tank drones.

1 Like

Ah thanks for the info on the gunstore doors, I knew I remembered lockpicking them at some point, didn’t realize the gunstore doors and other metal doors were different beasts.

But anyway, breaking the walls is pervectly valid. I recall a quote along the lines of “If the doors are invincible go through the wall” Seems apt here.

Gun Stores in 1 variety at least; the rear and inside doors cannot be picks nor have keys to open them. You are forced to ram them or go through a wall. Which has been bad for at least a few hundred updates. How the simple stuff never gets fixed is a little surprisingly to me.

Half the game gets borked with crap we don’t want or need and the basic stuff added that does make sense never gets any attention =(

Rather saddening.

I just wish we could make steel doors that can be BLOODY LOCKED to keep NPCs out.

Also, I would like to be able to make winches and large steel doors, like firestations. That would be EXCELLENT for keeping out unwanted guests… such as both zombies AND NPCs!

[quote=“Mr. Moustache, post:1, topic:13055”]I have slain many foes, be it Triffid, Hulk, Fungus, or some other inter-dimentional horror. There are few enemies which I cannot best, through skill or patience, but there is one enemy which has me leaving even the most promising l00t behind: The Mighty Metal Door.
Dynamite can destroy the concrete walls around it but not the metal door itself!? I’m at a loss, besides mininukes. What less-lethal-than-mininukes methods do you have for destroying this mighty enemy?[/quote]

Acetylene torches. If the building has metal bar window, use a hacksaw or toolbox on them by choosing the cut up metal command. Smash the glass out first.

I recently discovered that toolboxes can be (a)pplied to “cut up metal” in the direction of… fences. I haven’t tested this on metal doors, but I’ve heard the acetyl-whatsit torch works. Gun stores are SOMETIMES lockpickable, I think there might be some bugginess in terms of which direction the door can be lockpicked from. I wound up smashing the concrete with a sledgehammer or pickaxe in multiple cases.

Thanks for the tip about using hacksaws/toolboxes to cut up metal of iron bars.

Curses! Acetone Torches are a limited natural resource! Well… there’s nothing a dose of collateral damage can’t solve. :wink:

~ g find metal door enter find correct symbol for unlocked metal door enter escape

Because sometimes it’s just silly.

But yes, oxyacetylene is your best bet, and often only. Save those for metal doors unless you have no other recourse but to use them on vehicles.