Metalworking Package ~or~ Blacksmithing After the Apocalypse!

Git!

In which an entirely new branch of crafting which uses the fabrication skill utilizes a newly-minted set of metalworking tools in order to forge many items never before craftable, including several new historic objects of warfare.

Come with me to the merry old (new!) days of burly blacksmiths and fuming forges. Smoky smithies await in this unprecedented expansion of metalworking craft, from grand weapons and armor to humble tools and sundries. We’re survivors, we don’t wait around for the world to come to us. Put that metal scrap to use for you and make the tools to rebuild the world.

Includes new tools:

A battery powered electric forge which is the core of the blacksmithing system.
Various other metalworking tools including: anvil, tongs, chisel, swage kit, and crucible.
Leather apron with pockets. Not required wear for smithing, but it sure does look awesome.

Tons of new recipes:

We have lots and lots of new recipes, far too many to list here, some of which have to be acquired from the new smithing skill books.

New recipe skill books:

Learn how to craft the weapons and armor of historic Western and Eastern warriors by locating and reading four new books.

New arsenal:

A small list of historical arms and armors to enhance options for medieval warrior types. Includes awesome samurai armor and nodachi sword!

New profession:

Seriously, where would this expansion be without a blacksmith profession?

How long will we need to wait before playing this awesome expansion?

We don’t have to wait! It’s live and ready to play in the latest experimental build right now!

May your newly-forged swords strike true.
Enjoy the crafting and smiting, my lovelies.

OK, OK, it’s good enough…I’ll have to check the JSONs for cookery and see about getting this magma-fed.

:wink:

And now I can fulfill my dreams of becoming a lady blacksmith in Cataclysm! (Thank you for this GREAT idea, Colbert)

But seriously, this is awesome.

Awesome work! This is a huge first step toward a more progressive crafting tree. I’m really looking forward to trying it out.

Electric forge? What is wrong with good old wood/charcoal forge? I guess the game has no way to recognize “Fire in a forge”, and I agree that blacksmithing on a campfire is idiotic, but maybe you could create a charcoal recipe and then use that charcoal as charge for a “Charcoal forge” item? Smithing would then require forge with x charge of charcoal (and maybe even a lighter to light it up. :slight_smile: )

Seems more realistic than a battery-powered forge.

Seconded. Why an electric forge? A decent charcoal flame can smelt damn near anything and what’s more in an apocalypse like this wood is plentiful and making charcoal would be pretty simple (although I’d still throw it as say, survival 3/4.)
Aside from that, it’s a great idea, I’ll have a look right away. +1.

By all means go ahead and add to this. If you want to make a system that uses charcoal to run a charcoal forge for these recipes I’m fine with that.

Just because you didn’t originate the content doesn’t mean you can’t work with and around it.

[quote=“Rivet, post:7, topic:2832”]By all means go ahead and add to this. If you want to make a system that uses charcoal to run a charcoal forge for these recipes I’m fine with that.

Just because you didn’t originate the content doesn’t mean you can’t work with and around it.[/quote]
I’m not nagging you or anything man, I love all your work. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll have a look, maybe see if we can use something like the wood stove code.

Yeah, I’d do it myself, I’ve just never ever created anything in this game. ^^

’ We don’t have to wait! It’s live and ready to play in the latest experimental build right now! ’

Meaning it will most likely be in 0.8 along with the tileset?

Awesome!

[quote=“Austupaio, post:10, topic:2832”]’ We don’t have to wait! It’s live and ready to play in the latest experimental build right now! ’

Meaning it will most likely be in 0.8 along with the tileset?

Awesome![/quote]

It’s in the current experimental build right now, so far it looks pretty good.
It’s a great way to use the fabrication skill as well, as that was always hard to train up without disassembling and creating a thousand things you’ll never use.

Oh my GOD it’s ALIVE! :slight_smile:

So th… this m…mm… means I can m… make a full set of glass armor?
We only need dire beasts to ride and we’re made.

is this in the new dailies? Have not tried a new one in a while. i have a good world going on one from a few weeks ago.

I have a new PR just in that adds charcoal and its related hardware and recipes for metalworking and such.

Hold on…

Isn’t Samurai armour made from WOOD, not metal?

Laquered leather or metal, according to Wiki. Could justify WATERRESIST or whatever the tag is, since that’s why it’s laquered.

Holy crap, looks like if we used everything on that wiki page you could base an entire crafting system on Japanese armour alone.

how about more construction options? We may need to wait for z-levels to do this though.

Noob question here:
How does one install this?

This was merged on…Aug 26, 2013. That means its already part of base game.