Metal detector and hidden SHTF supply caches

what about being able to use a metal detector or terrainian sonar to hunt down buried supply caches? in RL, there are plenty of people who bury 55 gallon drums or other containers full of supplies behind the storage shed, under the sandbox, beneath the old oak tree, etc, so it would make sense to be able to find them in the game as well

What are the realistic chances, even with a metal detector, to actually find something like that IRL without prior knowledge?

Just seems kinda far fetched to find buried crazy people treasure randomly.

But I could see a starting trait, something like "There were always rumors that the townsfolk here buried the city’s supply of gold years ago. Now that no one can stop you from digging all around town… yadda yadda"
With some kind of vague indicator on the general area of the treasure. But then you only know one and that doesn’t seem like it would help much. Being gold and all.

*Edit: Changed cities to city’s. City, that’s a made up word.

What if a survivor note or map could have the location of a secret cache on it…

I’d like this. Not trivial to code i think, but it would add a little extra depth to the game.

Well geocaching exists, you do need co-ordinates but lots are easy to find. Items like laptops and PDAs exist in game, it could be another use of USB/software to find rough co-ordinates to stashes, then you can go digging. Stashes were in the game for a long time, but were taken out because of the nonsensical arrangement of totally visible traps surrounding them, this might be a cool way of adding them back in.

agree and like every comment so far. still think a metal detector or some other kind of item should be required to zero-in on the stash though.

-To find weird items buried in craters, helicoper crashes, rubble of all kind
-To find buried mines from afar
-To find really, really rare things survivor hid
-To find luchbags with jewlry or notes
-To find garbage
Ideas!

[quote=“StopSignal, post:7, topic:9036”]-To find weird items buried in craters, helicoper crashes, rubble of all kind
-To find buried mines from afar
-To find really, really rare things survivor hid
-To find luchbags with jewlry or notes
-To find garbage
Ideas![/quote]

Upvote

Hey, the metal detector is detecting something!
waves metal detector around heap of metal debris
:stuck_out_tongue:

Though making Terranian Sonar reveal items under debris would be cool.

I was thinking about this all wrong, I’m on board.

Hey, the metal detector is detecting something!
waves metal detector around heap of metal debris
:stuck_out_tongue:

Though making Terranian Sonar reveal items under debris would be cool.[/quote]

Hahahaha, i totally failed my logic there!
You made me giggle, that was fun.

Looks reasonable, randomly looking would have extremely small chances of finding things, but it would be very useful for targeted searches.
We need buried item support for it to work properly though.