Meal Ready to Eat

I’ll eat it eventually.
I’ve eaten many of them. Just stay away from certain things. :stuck_out_tongue: Like the dairy shakes. Some people say they are good. But they had a bad batch at one point that could get you seriously sick. I haven’t touched em since.

For some reason “I’ve eaten many of them” made me think, "This is my MRE, there are many like it…"
No idea why <_<

"I’m here. I ate every MRE on the way.

There were many."

/JA2 reference

Oh cool, MRE thread

I see we’ve established the existence of both the variety and the self heating pack. There are some interesting uses for a lot of the stuff inside one of these. I’ve heard of everything from improved culinary explosive devices to toilet booze come out of these things.

Surprisingly they’re actually pretty tasty (though people have different preferences over different menu items). Two pieces of advice:

1. Like people mentioned, there’s a fuckton of calories in each of these. Don’t binge on them. Beware of massive bowel movements if you eat the whole thing.
  2. Don’t chew the gum. It contains a laxative designed to assist with the first problem. If that is a problem for you, chew the gum after eating and may God have mercy on your butt.

We’ve come a long way from the 90’s Gulf War era MRE’s that were weird foil wrapped squares of who knows what. Maybe it’s goulash? Maybe it’s chili? It’s on a need to know basis just put the Tabasco on it and eat it. If we’re putting modern/future era MRE’s in the game I think the negative penalty for eating an MRE should probably go. Compared to the generic cooked animal flanks and other strange crap you eat without penalty I think an MRE would be a treat.

Oh and dont’ forget the alternate use to the chemical heater. MRE bomb. Aka, plastic bottle + 1 unit of water + MRE heater. Seal, shake, throw. It’ll go boom from the expanding steam and heat after a bit. Boom as in a loud noise. It’s a cleaver use of the age old MRE bomb prank. I can see it now…
“You have created an MRE Bomb (active)!”

You’ll have two skill zero recipes:
MRE Bomb:
MRE Heater
Water or Clean Water
Plastic Bottle

Hot MRE:
MRE Heater
Water or Clean Water
MRE Beef Packet or MRE Vegetable Packet

munches on his MRE cheese and crackers and plots

What if the MREs came in different sorts? The British version (i think) comes with a small STOVE and the french ones for the longest time came with wine… So if we have army surplus ones, current army ones, civilian knockoffs and foreign military ones that would just be insane.

That sounds cool, but you’d have to code that and most of hte ones in the area in question would be US Military surplus.

What if the MREs came in different sorts? The British version (i think) comes with a small STOVE and the french ones for the longest time came with wine... So if we have army surplus ones, current army ones, civilian knockoffs and foreign military ones that would just be insane.
Absolutely, but only if Sony wraps japanese ones. You need one half-charged AAA battery connected to the foil; in a matter of seconds - a robot uveils itself from inside the bounds. He asks you for your preferred language and cuisine while mixing up your favourite beverage, cracks jokes on blondes and barbarians while cooking, issues a napkin and politely disassembles itself into useful crafting parts, and a cookie afterwards. Naked-booty-cook-apron optional.

No need to be snide- a ‘I disagree’ would suffice.

Also: I disagree with alternate versions; superfluous.

Yeah, the setting of cata is the US; foreign MREs just aren’t the sort of thing you’d be at all likely to find.

Ah well. There are still tons of random variants of MREs here in the US. could we atleast have some of those?

Those stoves are (or were) simply little metal racks with chemical fuel blocks inside. the whole thing would easily fit in a pocket or mess-tin. You unfold the metal rack, break a couple of chemical bricks into it, light them and boom-- instant fire. They’re pretty handy for keeping the wind off the fire. Stick a mess tin on top, boil some water and shove your Regulation Nutrient Paste™ in and you’ll soon have a warm and possibly edible meal.

You can even make a cup of tea with the boiled water, although the water always seems brackish to me and never makes a truly good cuppa.
Of course, such tea is potable enough in times of hardship (read as no tea) and winter (read as bloody freezing.)

Iosyn, are you British, American, Polish, Swedish, [size=8pt]R[/size][size=7pt]u[/size][size=6pt]s[/size][size=5pt]s[/size][size=4pt]i[/size][size=3pt]a[/size][size=2pt]n[/size][size=1pt]?[/size]

It matter? Stove tins man, stove tins.

anyone ever made a “hobo stove” with a can? not exactly MRE related, but reminds me slightly of that field issuable stove.

I made one once.

Pro tip, dont make them out of gallon olive oil cans or arizona iced tea cans.
The first smokes, the second melts.

I find that coffee grounds cans work nicely

Never seen those…

Russian army exports a lot of their MRE’s, and they’re quite popular amongst the survivalists of the world. They’re quite voluminous, but they do contain:

1. 2 cans of cooked meat aka тушенка(for you to find easily what I mean) with additional filler - heat up and enjoy filling and tasty meal. Really tasty.
  2. Chocolate - yup, chocolate.
  3. Apple jello - to put on your crackers.
  4. Crackers - to enjoy with the jello.
  5. 2-3(don’t remember correctly) packs of instant tea - quite sweet and, damn, it tastes like a REAL TEA
  6. Little volume of salt and pepper
  7. One vitamins pill - sweet and somewhy big
  8. Stove tin(or whatever is it) and 4 “dried alcohol” pellets to cook food
  9. Peppermint bubblegum - yup. “Orbit”, IIRC

I’d love to see a hobo-stove, but it can only hold tiny fires.