Preserveing food

First time posting and I was wondering if anyone had any idea’s on how to heat food without a Heatpack (I can’t seem to figure it out.) And how to Preserve food (Like bone broth and human flesh.) So i can get a stockpile going. Thanks in advance!

You can cook foods on a nearby fire.

I know how to cook food. I’m talking about for the long term. Like how beef jerky lasts forever I was wondering how I can do things like can foods. I know you can preserve things in glass jars but I don’t know where to find them.

I know how to cook food. I’m talking about for the long term. Like how beef jerky lasts forever I was wondering how I can do things like can foods. I know you can preserve things in glass jars but I don’t know where to find them.[/quote]

You can preserve foods 3 ways (that I know of):

1. Jerky
  2. Canning
  3. Vacuum sealed bags

It may require some degree of Cooking skill, and a little luck to find the materials. For example, to make jerky you need salt.

dont worry about preserving food. you can pickup rocks and throw at rabbits. rabbits spawns are very high. so there is always food.

cooking doesn’t preserve food or help with rotten food in .6. it rots just as fast. There are some cooking crafting that can get you vacuum sealed stuff or beef jerky. requires a little higher cooking. really dont worry about this. its so easy to kill rabbits.

To cook…

go outside and get a rock and wield. go back to evac shelter and hit 's’mash. Then pick up splintered wood (the 2x4 is good for crafting so dont use this).
go outside and drop 1 splitnered wood.
stand next to it. press ‘activate’ and when your inventory comes up select your starter matchbook, press the arrow key for the direction to start your fire.

press ‘&’ to cook.

To cook field you need a pot/frying pan or stone pot (requires level 2 survival and level 1 cooking, plus a hammer/stone hammer) or a pointy sticky (craftiable under weapons and you use the 2x4s you get for smashing your bench. you go to crafting and food. to purify water going to crafting and drink.

when you run out of benches, you will hopefully have a wood axe (or stone axe you crafted). wield it .go to a tree. press ‘*’ for construciton and chop down tree. then chop up logs. Logs are heavy to carry so just carry a weapon and stuff with pocks. grab as many as you can and pile them near your house.

your goal is to eventually construction a stove (see bottom of construction). the material is tougher to come by.can be crafted but you have to find stuff. it rains outside and fires dont last long in the rain. you can make a campfire outside with rocks, but that oesn’t see to do much.(its under construction).

finding lighers/matchbooks are very common in town. I dont think I have seen a way to start a fire with just crafted items.

You can start a fire with fire drills, you can craft them with the survival skill. :slight_smile: It is hard to do if your survival skill is low, it takes time to get a fire started and you can’t use it to lit molotovs or fire arrows, but they are always an good option if you just want to start a cooking fire. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot! But I was wondering, anyone know where to get Glass Jar’s for canning? I can’t seem to find any.

So far you can only get them from existing food, spaghetti sauce or something being one of them.

I think rarely they can drop off zombies, but fridges and homes most likely.

Plastic bags can be gotten from all sorts of things, and are presumably a lot lighter.

You can sometimes just find glass jars lying around in houses, usually kitchens I think, but yeah generally you will get a glass jar of some foodstuff in food spawn, eat/throw out the food, and you get yourself a jar.

Don’t forget that places like Grocery Stores, Gas Stations, and Pharmacies all stock food…

A tip is you can Unload jars, cans, bags, etc. Found that out, and suddenly plastic bags of candy became more useful, as well as glass jars of things.

Find A cow man, give it some cattle fodder and use a rope to lead into to the back of your car. You want like 4 smoking racks for this fully loaded up with charcoal. You butcher the cow & smoke the lot of it. Smoke it twice to last all year.

2nd Choice is find a minifreezer (Icecream Truck/Cart) Now you got a small meat locker.

Or power a full sized freezer but its not good for mobile.

Turkey is your best bet for a few weeks of easy to hunt meat