Mainly Domesticated Animal Questions

1. Animal spawn density got dramatically reduced because the previous density was crazy high.
  2. I have no idea how animal zombification works. There’s no individual option for controlling this feature.
  3. There is no plan to reduce the density of zombie spawn on farms. You can mod the JSON definitions to reduce or eliminate the spawns yourself.
  4. There’s no definition for horse colts/foals at this point, so your horses won’t breed.
  5. I have no idea.
  6. Random animal off-spring are assumed to not have been tamed before the Cataclysm and would have no reason to become domesticated just by giving them food. That said, I’ve always thought that the spawn of friendly animals should be friendly but haven’t added it to the code.
  7. I know I have personally led cows up 4 flights of stairs to store them on a fire hall roof, so they will if you have z-levels enabled.
  8. Animals don’t have gender and there are no roosters. Any animal has a 50% chance of reproducing in any given reproduction cycle. I don’t think eggs hatch into chickens anymore because Kevin eliminated rot-spawns just before releasing 0.D and no one has gone back and fixed it yet.[1]
  9. Animals aren’t aware of each other on different z-levels, but a single cow has a 50% chance of reproducing anyway so it doesn’t matter.

[1] In part because there’s been a huge backlog of changes that are still jamming up the merge queue, and in part because vermin spawning is weird and complicated and no one with the coding knowledge to fix it has take the time to investigate.

1 Like