Magic, Monsters, a new you, and stuff!

As a player, I don’t want it TOO free - I don’t want to be able to drop into, say, that one temple with the big scary D in it, not bother fighting ANYTHING, fire off the map just to get a mapping of the area at the -1 level, and leave again. That’s too much.

You should have to clear the area first… but not have to clear the bloody UNIVERSE, which is practically what’s required to get good maps of anything now (with the exception of the ground level around labs).

I think you’re failing to understand what magic mapping does. Again, imagine the road maps. What happens when you use those? It reveals unrevealed tiles on your "m"ap screen. While I guess you could exploit this underground to automatically find basements, labs, and such out in the distance, but I’m still not sure if we’re on the same page here.

I think you’re failing to understand what magic mapping does. Again, imagine the road maps. What happens when you use those? It reveals unrevealed tiles on your "m"ap screen. While I guess you could exploit this underground to automatically find basements, labs, and such out in the distance, but I’m still not sure if we’re on the same page here.[/quote]

No, I know exactly what it does - I’ve used it plenty with the version of the orb I created, and I’ve used clairvoyant artifacts for comparison. The issue is primarily flavor - this should take time, and possibly be bad for your brain (“tearing the veil” or whatever euphemism for seeing more than one should), and neither of those things should be the sort of thing you try to do when there are hostile forces nearby!

Hmm. Right. In case I did go ahead and replace the mutation with three hits of the pain effect, added perception-up and nether attention buildup to wielding the orb, and removed radiation buildup from wearing the satchel. Flavor I guess is good reason. o3o

I know this is none of my business, considering that I don’t really have anything of value to contribute to it, but I was wondering if there was an effect that induced hallucinations, like how Schizophrenic is supposed to. If there is, then it might go well with the “seeing more than one should” aspect of the Orb.

Sadly hallucination isn’t an available artifact effect. D: