MAC OSX - Compile Help

We don’t officially support Mac builds, because no dev has a Mac to build/test on. ):
Nevertheless, intrepid community members have managed to get the stable working on Macs, and we appreciate their efforts. :slight_smile:
We don’t get asked often but when we do, it’s good to have the info at hand. So here’s a reference thread; feel free to add more info as needed. -KA101.

the more I look at the steps for compiling this game to mac so I can dl it the more steps show up. I am frightened by the tech tree looking web of necessary steps to get this thing running on mac. I have done minimal wine, and console work before but what I just got done looking up is horribly daunting. Can someone please post the tools I need not to mod or improve the game in any way but simply get a functioning stable vers of game onto my comp? I am willing and able to learn new things and toy with it a little to get it working, but I need someplace to start. Thank you for any and all help rendered.

Might want to change the thread title: you’re asking for Mac compile tools and dependencies, nothing to do with tools for downloading things. Might be a thread around with that info, too. I’ve tried setting up Linux-to-OSX cross-compiling for the Jenkins several times and kept running into the same wall.

good point, sorry to hear your not sure on the solution either. If someone could wine it or at least give me some easy downloadable tools so I can do the edits they suggest for the compiling etc, Id at least be able to pretend to constructively tinker with it at the very least. Wow I made that sound so much easier for me and for the person helping then its actually going to be V.V. I really wanna play this game too.

PLEASE help me out here people, I just spent most of 2 days combing through the wiki salivating over all the things I can’t do since I can’t play this game. I have preferences but would be happy with being able to play basically any version of this game experimental or otherwise, I just REALLY want to be able to play this. Anything anyone can do to point me in the right direction, or getting me 1 step closer would be MUCH apreciated

I don’t know enough about compiling or macs to help you. Sorry.

I don’t have a mac currently, but from what I can tell there is a prebuilt package available for download from here:

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Download#Stable_build_0.B_Brin

This is the latest stable in an app package so you shouldn’t have to build it, just drag to your apps folder and it should show up in your mac apps.

You should only have to worry about compiling the game if you want to run the development version.

Have you seen the compiling instructions on Github? That seems entirely thorough. Just install XCode from the App Store and homebrew by following the instructions here. Once you’ve done that you can follow the instructions there — if you don’t want tiles you can skip anything involving SDL.

I compile with the following options (note that I don’t use tiles; use TILES=1 if you want them):

If you want languages other than English, separately run

(I use simplified and traditional Chinese here as an example, look in data/lang/ for a full inventory of possible languages.)

ok notes so far Xquartz instead of the link Github sends you to as it is out of date
but now I am stuck somewhere between step 2 and 3… not really sure

where do I apply those options

I compile with the following options (note that I don’t use tiles; use TILES=1 if you want them):
Code: [Select]

make NATIVE=osx OSX_MIN=10.7 RELEASE=1 LOCALIZE=1 CLANG=1

(KA101 here: this was originally appended to “missing files”, an old problem. Looks like it could be handy for other Mac players, so I thought it worth splitting out and keeping around.)

Please, I hate bumping such old topics, but I really want to play this game. I have this same problem and I don’t know how to manually open it from the terminal like everyone else is doing thats making it work. I have Mac v10.10 if that has anything to do with it.

DEBUG: Can’t open data/keymap.txt. This may be a permissions issue.
DEBUG: Could not read data/raw/keybindings.json

If someone can do a step-by-step mini-guide on how to make it run, that’d be so appreciated beyond belief.

Working from memory here, so apologies if something doesn’t quite work.

1. Open up terminal
  2. type in:
  1. drag the main cataclysm DDA folder into the terminal window, it should appear after the " with a bunch of stuff that looks like ~/stuff/more stuff/cataclysm
  2. type in the closing
  1. Hit enter
  2. Resize your window to the size you want to play Cataclysm in (this might not be needed anymore, I’m not sure how far automatic resizing got)
  3. type in:
  1. Hit enter
  2. Cataclysm should start up in the open terminal window

[quote=“i2amroy, post:10, topic:8490”]Working from memory here, so apologies if something doesn’t quite work.

1. Open up terminal
  2. type in:
  1. drag the main cataclysm DDA folder into the terminal window, it should appear after the " with a bunch of stuff that looks like ~/stuff/more stuff/cataclysm
  2. type in the closing
  1. Hit enter
  2. Resize your window to the size you want to play Cataclysm in (this might not be needed anymore, I’m not sure how far automatic resizing got)
  3. type in:
  1. Hit enter
  2. Cataclysm should start up in the open terminal window[/quote]
    Oh my goodness, it worked! I love you forever. Thank you so much!

I downloaded the new 0.B Mac curses, but it only opens and closes. I tried opening with the terminal and this is what it said:

*****-MacBook-Pro-5:~ Shadow$ cd /Users/Shadow/Desktop/cataclysm/CataclysmCurses.app/Contents/Resources; ./cataclysm
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/liblua.5.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/Shadow/Desktop/cataclysm/CataclysmCurses.app/Contents/Resources/./cataclysm
Reason: image not found.
Trace/BPT trap: 5
****-MacBook-Pro-5:Resources Shadow$

This is what the 0.B Tiles version says in terminal:

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/Shadow/Desktop/cataclysm/cataclysmtiles.app.
******-MacBook-Pro-5:cataclysm Shadow$

0.B Tiles also opens and closes like Curses.

And thats what happens. I’m not sure if I’m missing something or what. I was getting this update because it has the tilesets I’ve been wanting to use. Help would be appreciated. Have an amazing weekend!

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Here in lies the answer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BIG THANKS to Rivet for throwing me a bone. I want to make sure I post this here before I lose myself in this amazing game, and further more could any forum mods, admins ect… make sure that this page (or the one linked to) has a tag on it so that searching “mac” allows for the solution to be found? This should allow other ‘would be’ mac players to play the game long enough to answer the Profile creation questions and actually contribute to the forums as well. Thanks everyone for the help now excuse me while I go on a bender for an unknown length of time and binge this game for all its worth.

-Lit

edit… Damit so close. Finally got it to launch, but now it can’t find any of the files when I go to start a game. I create a world, then go to make a character hit enter, then proceed through alot of presing spacebar while it whows me through each object that isn’t loading ei… can’t find broken glass can’t find sldkfja can’t find etc…

now I don’t know if the problem is because of all the other mac fixes I did or if it has to do with something else maybe the homebrew thing I did? no idea… I was so psyched too :frowning:

I got a Wineskin port of the Graphical Windows version 0.B downloaded here: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Download#Stable_build_0.B_Brin working. If you have access to wineskin, all you have to do is;

1, Create new, blank wrapper.
2, Click install software.
3, Copy/Move (I copied) folder inside.
4, Boot the game up, go to options and make the window bigger.

And I think thats it. Worked for me. It should be working properly. I haven’t created a world or anything, just jumped into tutorial to make sure it ran the game. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

I got a Wineskin port of the Graphical Windows version 0.B downloaded here: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Download#Stable_build_0.B_Brin working. If you have access to wineskin, all you have to do is;

1, Create new, blank wrapper.
2, Click install software.
3, Copy/Move (I copied) folder inside.
4, Boot the game up, go to options and make the window bigger.

And I think thats it. Worked for me. It should be working properly. I haven’t created a world or anything, just jumped into tutorial to make sure it ran the game. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

AHA your a hero thanks! now to do some proper testing…

Let me now how it runs dude. :smiley:

Works… sleepy now 2 deaths. first to suicide so I could go do tutorial. 2nd to smoker zombie that came zooming across map to me attacked and then left then came back later but another zombie finished me off first during his first turn in a bush…what? when I went to attack him. Ah well much better understanding of game now. Gana miss that torn military rucksack that I got off my very first zombie :frowning: next time I spend more time throwing things at animals before trying to get any more meaningful weapons from town. I was to eager to get something better than a rucksac full of sharpened sticks I could throw at enemy and wooden sword. lesssen learned. Thanks to everyone that helped me get the game working ^.^

I’m glad to hear that you got it working!

Haha, nice. Glad to hear it works pretty nicely.