Low-level military clothing - to craft or not to craft

Should simple military gear like drop leg pouches, boonie hats and chest rigs be craftable? I made a PR that allows you to craft drop leg pouches (my boonie hat commit ended up in there too somehow) and balance was quickly brought up. I think it’s balanced because you can make similar or more effective gear with mid-level tailoring. What is the opinion of the community and devs on this?

I like it…

Boonie hats are in a different category really, just a particular style of hat AFAIK.

Drop pouches and chest rigs though, those tend to have a lot of complicated stitching on very tough materials, and very hard plastic or metal components it might be hard to replicate.

I think once you can manufacture the needed plastic and mettal parts and are a tailoring god theres no reason not to let you craft them… i think its much easier finding them though.

Yeah why not as long as the recepy reflects the actual difficulty of the task,´.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:3, topic:8057”]Boonie hats are in a different category really, just a particular style of hat AFAIK.

Drop pouches and chest rigs though, those tend to have a lot of complicated stitching on very tough materials, and very hard plastic or metal components it might be hard to replicate.[/quote]
I think of the chest rig as an IIFS tactical load bearing vest.

According to this pamphlet it’s made of nylon, foam padding and some plastic for things like buckles. In the cataclysm you could probably use a tough fabric as a substitute for nylon and cloth padding instead of foam. I think that would translate into something like:
15-20 rags
3 plastic chunks
soldering iron
sewing kit with 40 threads
1 tool with sawing quality >= 1 (for making buckles)

How about possibly being able to craft makeshift versions of the items that can’t be reinforced?
Might help with the balance issue of being able to craft them at lower tailoring levels as well the lack of reinforcement being explained by them being made of non-milspec materials, they’re simply not going to ever be as tough without being bulky, which would give encumbrance.

But if you use millitary materials to craft one? from uh cut up military equip xD.

So long as the really good stuff is gated behind appropriately advanced tailoring/fabrication requirements, I see no problem with this idea.

it makes firing 8x40 mm rounds so satisfying. like i made them how does it feel? i feel good :slight_smile:
definatly cooler then firing with easy to craft crossbow bolts.

I’m mostly certain that the Military don’t hand stitch all their combat gear, so that could maybe explain why it’s not as sturdy?
Making them higher level items does make more sense balance wise, but making them makeshift items seems to make more realistic sense to me, although thats just my opinion and it wouldn’t slightly subtract from my enjoyment of the game to see this gated behind higher level requirements