Lots of fungaloid problems

I’ve been having this weird thing where all of a sudden a bunch of fungaloids just spawn out of nowhere. The closest spire that isn’t a pile of ash is over 30 map tiles away. The sheer number of them pretty much makes the game unplayable. Is there any way to severely limit their spawns or something?

Even after burning down a spire, the fungaloids will keep spawning for a while as their population decays, it takes about a week.
Also if you stay in the area and they keep releasing spores, that can keep their population up.
I can’t rule out that it’s a bug though.

Well, in my last game (0.C 3030) I encountered a thick cloud of fungaloids and realized that it came from one of those fungal vegetal patch that makes spores. They were figfhting with other mobs and every time one F died it would create spores as usual, but they would pop up as fully grown fungaloids instead of spores.

I rammed my truck into a few lone ones on the road and they also exploded into 2~3 Fs that each turn into 2~3 Fs when they died, etc…

Insta-growing fungaloids may be related to the monster upgrade thing.
If the new monsters don’t have the last-upgrade-check variable properly set before spawning, they’ll probably try to upgrade as soon as they’re spawned.

I think this might be a bug. In a new game, I came across a horde of over 200 fungaloids near a mansion. I think the spawning scale might be off. Also, the issue with them instantly growing is very present. I tossed an incendiary grenade into the thick of the horde, and they all burst into flames and died; however, there was just more and more fungaloids. They kept fleeing the fire, and the ones that died were replaced by more. They kept multiplying, and they moved towards the mansion and burned it, and the whole forest, to the ground. I think this needs to be addressed. I would have taken a screenshot, but I have no idea how…

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:4, topic:3185”]Insta-growing fungaloids may be related to the monster upgrade thing.
If the new monsters don’t have the last-upgrade-check variable properly set before spawning, they’ll probably try to upgrade as soon as they’re spawned.[/quote]
This is almost certainly the problem.

Just met fungaloids in a1a2e77 build, no spores but over 250 fungaloids on screen even though I get messages about fungaloids releasing spores.

I’ll take a look into fixing this tonight now that the kamikaze hack PR is in a mostly stable state.

I hacked around the insta-growth by removing that one symptom, but the main cause still exists: the “last checked upgrade at” value is not properly updated when “summoning” creatures.
It would be nice if “summoning” creatures was a dedicated function, because it’s used quite a bit in the code.

And PR is up.