List of little bugs #2

1. When trying to toggle blinking on map by pressing “B” and the blinking symbols aren’t shown, the explored (gray) places are reverted to their original color.

2. Damaged ammo shift columns in “Choose ammo type:” menu.

0.B-2829 with z-levels experimental, boats, weapons, and brown bear tile pack ON and active, with the sheltered scenario.

I have no idea what happened. Saw a infected pouncer in the distance saw a message about an NPC not using their turn then screen went out. Couple of press spacebars later screen came back and saw this.

doesn’t really affect my gameplay that I know of (other than killing that random NPC) but I got a bug report so I’m posting it ^.^. Let me know if theres anything else I should get if something like this happens again.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:2, topic:9095”]I have no idea what happened. Saw a infected pouncer in the distance saw a message about an NPC not using their turn then screen went out. Couple of press spacebars later screen came back and saw this.

You’ve accidentally enabled debug messages (I’m not sure why the command to activate them is even bound by default) all you need to do is hit the same key, which would be the tilde (~), to turn them back off.

I think the error turned on the debug mode. I already turned off the hotkey for the debug menu and moved it elsewhere. I didn’t need help with that. I was just posting a bug report in case it interested one of the devs or something. Which I assumed it would since the system solution was to explode some poor NPC’s brain to resolve whatever conflict his existence was creating. Poor guy was just sitting there cooking fish he didn’t have or something, and then BOOM brain explosion because he was doing the impossible…or something. IDK but this should definitely be resolved whatever it is. We can’t have random NPC’s exploding because of coding conflicts…or whatever killed the poor dude. He deserves more respect! We need to resolve this. (imagines walking through the world with an epidemic of exploding brains) cries for NPC’s that don’t exist, but REALLY don’t exist at all now, and might not in future due to mind explosions

Anyone know what he might have seen or done that would cause his mind to explode? :smiley: Ima make a thread about this. THIS IS A THING NOW!

Exploding head happens when NPC can’t figure out what to do after 10 tries or so.

how is that a solution? hmm… cook fish or shoot at enemy. Can’t decide head explosion. Poor bastard must have tried WAY to hard to make a decision.

The alternative is the game locks up, so exploding heads are preferable.

ok granted, but what things could be conflicting that makes him so indecisive?

All sorts of things. NPC decision making is still very rudimentary, so it could range from something like the weapon algorithm deciding that he should rapidly switch between two different weapons, to him repeatedly trying to reload a gun with something that isn’t ammo. A lot of the problems have been nailed down, but they still happen from time to time.

alright is there any more information I should gather next time this happens so the actual decision making conflict can be pinned down?

Usually message history is the only thing you can get. Many NPC errors spam something like “NPC tried to use x, which doesn’t have an use”.
To get more, you’d need to understand NPC AI at the code level.

ok. Immediately after death theres that thing about cooked fish and meat or something. Not sure if its just item dropped or something or actually related to what he was doing.

I have had an issue with matchbombs . I started a challenge lab scenario and tried to blow up a turret with a match bombs. Imagine my surprise when I threw a lit bomb and… nothing happened. I waited a couple turns, got burst of bullets from turret and still no signs of explosion. Then I tried to test it in underground levels (and even in my own hands). And result was the same. No explosion.

Even worse. Later I tried to use a firecracker. And then a grenade. I guess you know the result.

So I definetely consider this strange things as bugs.

well the match bomb makes sense based on the name, I assume its only meant to start fires not ‘explode’ explode others sound like actual bug though :frowning: can’t wait to hear from devs on this one. Learning centers engaged <,<

[quote=“Sanarr, post:13, topic:9095”]I have had an issue with matchbombs . I started a challenge lab scenario and tried to blow up a turret with a match bombs. Imagine my surprise when I threw a lit bomb and… nothing happened. I waited a couple turns, got burst of bullets from turret and still no signs of explosion. Then I tried to test it in underground levels (and even in my own hands). And result was the same. No explosion.

Even worse. Later I tried to use a firecracker. And then a grenade. I guess you know the result.

So I definetely consider this strange things as bugs.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s a result of one of my multi-function item rework. Unfortunately it broke grenades and similar items. I already PR’d a fix, it’s just that technical problems with buggy compilers delayed merging the fix.

If you need to use grenade type items right now, play stable - there aren’t many differences from stable.

And a hint for lab challenge: you can wreck turrets by throwing two-by-fours at them from the edge of their field of light. You need enough strength for it to work, but it’s cheaper than matchbombs.

Another small bug with tobacco pipe. My char had a nicotine withdrawal, but smoking rolling tobacco with tobacco pipe neither remove it nor give a morale bonus.

P.S. But such kind of smoking still gives a “Nicotine” buff on effects screen. So I got Nicotine and Nicotine withdrawal at same time.

A note, but in general it’s better for you to make a new thread then to revive older ones like this if you find a new bug. For example just by reading this I don’t know if the first bugs listed are still present or not, and it’s difficult to tell what is still a valid bug report and what isn’t.