Larger military buildings/complexes

Right now all the military buildings are small one tile affairs. We should have some National Guard Armories that are multi-tile buildings with attached motorpools. Maybe even a base which would actually take a larger region (10x10?). These bases are often butting right up against towns (as these towns sprang up around the base).
Military buildings are generally going to be made from cinder blocks as they want them to withstand almost anything. They do have some other types of buildings but most newer construction will be hardened like this.
Let me know if you have any questions.

+1

All military motorpools are going to have some repair equipment and military parts around for basic maintenance. But some jobs require a higher level or skill and equipment. We have multiple levels of maintenance in the military and they are all named. And none of you will give a damn about their names… But basically you will have a location for a region for higher end maintenance. Usually these will be at a specific armory or base. The National Guard does have bases. Texas’ National Guard HQ is on a Camp. I’m sure NH and other New England states are the same way.

Also some military vehicle related information:
All military vehicles are supposed to have their BII before they can roll anywhere. This includes a shovel, mattock and fire extinguisher. Does this always happen? No. But usually it does.
All military vehicles should have their respective 10 level TM inside the vehicle. Translation: A Operators Technical Manual should be in the vehicle (often under the driver side’s seat).

Humvee Operator Level TM: TM 9-2320-280-10 Title: HMMWV (M998 and 1097 Series)
TM-9-2320-280-20: Truck Utility Cargo/Troop 1-1/4 Ton 4x4 Manual

The consequences of having a so big military base in a city to the zombie apocalypse are enough for this to have an special spawning. Barricades, broken turrets(as the base itself realizes they aren’t working), FRIENDLY turrets(as they got some fixed), bodies all around, LIVING Military NPCs… i like the idea, and wish for it to have NPCs similar to the survivor’s shelter(that big one, i Always forget the name).

Such base would be self-sustainable, in terms of energy, or the fall of the power grid would affect it too? Food, water, it would be well stocked, or the place would have the same problems the city around would, in terms or resources quickly ending?

it’s a great idea! :smiley: especially for the military NPCs :slight_smile: it could be cool to be founded by a military patrol or knowing that there is an active military base somewhere - Maybe we could add military airports,where you can find some veichles (not planes XD) and a lot of gasoline,or maybe some esplosives :slight_smile:

[quote=“Miloch, post:3, topic:8118”]All military motorpools are going to have some repair equipment and military parts around for basic maintenance. But some jobs require a higher level or skill and equipment. We have multiple levels of maintenance in the military and they are all named. And none of you will give a damn about their names… But basically you will have a location for a region for higher end maintenance. Usually these will be at a specific armory or base. The National Guard does have bases. Texas’ National Guard HQ is on a Camp. I’m sure NH and other New England states are the same way.

Also some military vehicle related information:
All military vehicles are supposed to have their BII before they can roll anywhere. This includes a shovel, mattock and fire extinguisher. Does this always happen? No. But usually it does.
All military vehicles should have their respective 10 level TM inside the vehicle. Translation: A Operators Technical Manual should be in the vehicle (often under the driver side’s seat).

Humvee Operator Level TM: TM 9-2320-280-10 Title: HMMWV (M998 and 1097 Series)
TM-9-2320-280-20: Truck Utility Cargo/Troop 1-1/4 Ton 4x4 Manual[/quote]

OK. So milspec vehicles should have the manual, which (presumably) teaches driving or mechanics, and if found on-base (unlikely, since they’d be responding) there should be a shovel, pickaxe (can make a mattock if you like), and fire extinguisher on board. Vehicles found out and about might be missing some of that, as it may have been taken for field use or otherwise gone missing.

In the National Guard these things are much more likely to be missing. :stuck_out_tongue: Some vehicles might not have rolled out because they are deadline (IE broken). Also we might have some active duty ones running around. I don’t know of any regular army forts up there, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there.

Well in Germany its worse… nothing related to the military works xD

Sounds awesome i would love that but how will they act treat outsiders shoot on sight or beeing friendly maybe a mix?

Milbots would likely do what they do now. The Old Guard might have reactivated one but that seems a good questy thing.

Update: was going to implement the vehicle manuals, but I’m at a loss for how they’d significantly differ from existing books. :-/

I’ve always thought the same RE: larger Military bases with motorpools, armouries etc, and military Remnant NPCs sound awesome. +1

Do they have to be significantly different? It’s essentially variations on a theme for flavor purposes, like the novels. I would think the bigger concern would be making sure things don’t get too saturated when you have a large pool of variants around.

from my idea thread:

New Area/Structures: Airports, Would Vary from small Private strips to large international airports and [b]military air bases[/b], would have a lot of zombies from people who was trying to escape via air travel, [b]Military airbases would have security like any other military bases.[/b] Ports and [b]Naval/coast guard Bases[/b], like above but with people trying to escape via water, [b]boats/ships could spawn here if the boats mod was selected when creating the world[/b]

was told by TheFlame52 that airports are kinda difficult and would be added if I coded it (Nope, no codeing/programming from me, no experience/don’t know how)

Many of us started here with no prior code experience whatsoever.

Adding buildings of any size and shape really doesn’t require any coding skills right now. Just take a look at the jsons and read some of the guides on the github and get to work!

That said, naval stations won’t work because we don’t have a coastline for 'em. Air stations can work but we haven’t got any flight capabilities yet, so I’m not clamoring for 'em.

IIRC CDDA takes place in the New England region of the USA, therefore on the far east (Right) side of the map should be the Atlantic, and there are Rivers that might support some boats (with the Boats mod in the world generator)?

IIRC CDDA takes place in the New England region of the USA, therefore on the far east (Right) side of the map should be the Atlantic, and there are Rivers that might support some boats (with the Boats mod in the world generator)?[/quote]

DDA takes place in New England, correct. Rivers support boats, so long as you don’t try to go under a bridge or go over a critter that should be underwater.

The map spreads infinitely (limited only by your ability to explore and your system’s ability to store it) in all directions. When I say that we don’t have a coastline, I mean exactly that. No coast, no ocean terrain, no z-level handling for “underwater” tiles (with or without solid terrain for someone to stand at that particular level), etc.

We’d love to have one, but it’s a major project so nobody’s done it yet.

Someone made a lot of progress on something like that in the past, but never put any of the code up on github and stopped working on it, so it is lost forever to the ages.

Many of us started here with no prior code experience whatsoever.[/quote]
I started coding because I decided it was stupid that you couldn’t make funnels, so I coded it and things evolved from there. I’ve made 4 PRs so far. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you might as well start my making an airport. You could modify roads to make runways.