Lab invasion techniques

If you can enter a lab from outside in early game, you most likely do it with a science card and thus don’t need to deal with the turret.

No ID cards. It may come down to the interpretation of ‘early game’ but this is how I do it:

1. I ram the side wall of a lab with a car. I may or may not have the ability to modify or repair the car. I might not care if the car gets damaged in the process. I would then walk up to the corridor door and get a jump on the turret. I blast the turret with an automatic weapon and decent AP rounds up close. I accept the damage the turret explosion inflicts. Knowing how character speed works is essential. I also might have been lucky and found hand grenades or EMP grenades earlier, which I would use on the turret without hesitation, trying to land them next to the turret while staying out of sight.

2. I could take down the front doors, or at least one of them from a diagonal position. I would try to stay out of sight and then I would outrange the turret and destroy it with vehicle mounted weapons and a lot of ammo. Sniping with a proper rifle is an option, too, even with low skill.

3. Something I still haven’t tried is encumbering myself with a lot of armor and staying just at the max range of the turret, giving it the lowest chance to score a hit, forcing it to waste its limited ammo.

Edit: One more:
4) I could try to ram or destroy the back wall of the lab entrance, the wall next to stairs down. I would clear the rubble and drag a bookshelf or two all the way to the lab, pushing them to block the line of sight to the turret. I would push the shelves over the stairs towards the turret, leaving the stairs accessible.

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:2, topic:11400”]No ID cards. It may come down to the interpretation of ‘early game’ but this is how I do it:

1. I ram the side wall of a lab with a car. I may or may not have the ability to modify or repair the car. I might not care if the car gets damaged in the process. I would then walk up to the corridor door and get a jump on the turret. I blast the turret with an automatic weapon and decent AP rounds up close. I accept the damage the turret explosion inflicts. Knowing how character speed works is essential. I also might have been lucky and found hand grenades or EMP grenades earlier, which I would use on the turret without hesitation, trying to land them next to the turret while staying out of sight.

2. I could take down the front doors, or at least one of them from a diagonal position. I would try to stay out of sight and then I would outrange the turret and destroy it with vehicle mounted weapons and a lot of ammo. Sniping with a proper rifle is an option, too, even with low skill.

3. Something I still haven’t tried is encumbering myself with a lot of armor and staying just at the max range of the turret, giving it the lowest chance to score a hit, forcing it to waste its limited ammo.

4) I could try to ram or destroy the back wall of the lab entrance, the wall next to stairs down. I would clear the rubble and drag a bookshelf or two all the way to the lab, pushing them to block the line of sight to the turret. I would push the shelves over the stairs towards the turret, leaving the stairs accessible.[/quote]

Thanks I will remember this when I’ll make an other game ,I can’t get a spare vehicle because of the 25 zombie spawn rate and it will be some time before i can build a special raming vehicle.

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:2, topic:11400”]No ID cards. It may come down to the interpretation of ‘early game’ but this is how I do it:

4) I could try to ram or destroy the back wall of the lab entrance, the wall next to stairs down. I would clear the rubble and drag a bookshelf or two all the way to the lab, pushing them to block the line of sight to the turret. I would push the shelves over the stairs towards the turret, leaving the stairs accessible.[/quote]

It’s much MUCH easier to kill a few zombies, then, when you open the door/wall somehow, leave the corpses where they will see the turret when they get back up. Turrets have 100 rounds, so once the number of bullet casings exceeds 100 (it usually ends at 104, which would be 13 bursts of 8), then its out of ammo. Just keep it in the reality bubble for a couple of days (or leave and come back so the corpses get back up).

Or just take their clothing and smash the doors and excite it yourself. Ive caught more than 1 turret shooting at me outside theirfunctional gun range. Givs it light to help it

Keeping painkillers around is good. a smoke bomb + h&k/shotgun is good. putting a spike on your car to ram with preserves more hull integrity.

The great thing about labs is the abindance of bandages and sleeping rooms to recover from a turret. of course, you get shot by it without real armor you will luikely die, which is why Im always advising people to take the time to level sewing and mechanics.

One thing I realized is that ramming the side wall with a vehicle, there’s a risk there’s another turret behind the wall…

You might also manage to hack the entrance corridor turret with a control laptop before breaking in (mid/late-game thing). Assuming the turret is close enough to the door. I recently learned that the way the turrets and ID cards work is that the turrets are initially there, and when an ID card is used, the turrets get deleted. (I made a bug report recently about roadblock turrets vanishing)

Digging down into a lab might also be a possibility. But I guess there’s a small risk of ending up in front of a turret…

Another break-in technique: You have a vehicle that has an automated turret in the front. Your windshield has curtains. You would then aim the vehicle, close the curtains and ram the front doors. Your vehicle turret should deal with the corridor turret.

A variation of crashing in through the side wall: You would crash in, but you wouldn’t deal with the corridor turret at all. Instead, if you have the ability to destroy walls, you would destroy the walls next to the stairway, and simply run down the stairs before the turret even gets a chance to shoot. Coming back up might be risky though… Depends.

There’s now also Cloaking CBM. It’s probably way more rare than science ID cards, so… But it does effectively render you invisible at a significant power cost, enabling you to run past the turret. If you’d also have the Directional EMP CBM, you could walk next to the turret and fry it, too, but that risks explosion.

Let’s not forget about Sonic Resonator CBM, the go-to wall destroying CBM.

Also, zombie slaves as decoys and bullet magnets for the turret.

I delay lab invasion till I acquire ID cards. Heavy survivor suit and helmet ought to make a turret mostly harmless, at least at long range. Proceed to shoot the turret into scrap. Steel crossbow bolts from a pneumatic bolt driver make short work of them. If you use power armour, feel free to walk up to one and poke it to death.

Too bad electrohack does not despawn the entrance turret.

Usually I make a few bundles of dynamite, blow a small hole to the side of the door and then chuck a few bundles in the hallway.