Kevin Granade, we need to talk about aiming system on 0.C

I don’t know if you are improving the aiming system on the pre 0.D version, it has a lot problem on the 0.C I believe, let me explain about this

first time I feeling this system is something wrong is when I craft repeating crossbow, aiming system just isn’t right, first, the crossbow only have 11 tiles shooting range. and I have install a lot “gun” plugin, which it dosn’t even told me that plugin can install on crossbow

I have holographic sight, rail laser sight, underbarrel laser sight, ergonomic grip, pistol stock with a 8 archery and marksmanship skill, and my confidence score just dosn’t affected that much

I tried, whatever the plugin or not, my confidence is still only gain fullly (with a few grazing hit chance) confidence on 6 tiles, 6 to me was too risky

because that was the max shooting range of the shotgun on normal shell, which means I may get blast the shit off by the NPC shotgun

I also tryout other guns with 10 gun skill (pistol, rifle, etc) and marksmanship skill, and only findout that most weapon only can gain the fullly confidence about half tiles or even less than that max range, the pistol are 8 tiles, and the rifle are 12 tiles, smg a 6 tiles, most for them was get installed with a very good plugin just like I did on the crossbow, but the shotgun however, if you have 10 skill, it will keep make headshot on the target, even you don’t aiming on 6 tiles

Kevin, since you already work on the gun sound affect (deafing when firing on the guns, but you should know that not all gunfire can make people deaf, like 9MM caliber weapon should be just fine), you don’t mind to increase a better shooting on long range, do you?

I miss the day will pre aiming system release, I enjoy headshot something on a very long range with a snipfe rifle on 30 tiles, and for now, I can only take less that half range to make a Good hit, not ever has a chance to headshot

I’m so jealous about the milspec turret for now, because those thing don’t even aiming, they almost 100% accurate on the target, people get shoot at on the outpost in long range, I really wish I can do the same on those turret, I do hope you can even make rocket launcher gain full confidence on long range

Kevin, just think about my suggestion, ok? such a waste about the gun max shooting range, if you know what I saying

oh, and please, can you just changeing about that “need a more accurate gun” message? I use crossbow and bow, not a guns!

and last thing I want to say, is about the vehicle turret, can you make those turrect aiming system too? people waste too much ammunition on those things, and they can’t shooting on full-automatic without active the auto turret.

Hmm, crossbows are effective over a larger distance than that, I think. Looking it up most crossbows today have an effective range of about 80 yards. This would be a tremendous shot however, though with the holographic sight, which I would like to imagine would help compensate for an arc, it should be less difficult, though still not quite trivial.

Hmm, there isn’t any information on the mechanism of the cdda repeating crossbow so, I don’t know if it’s pump action like this or like this fine obscenity.

Is it handmade, as the first one I found was handmade and only has an effective range(stated) of ~20 ft, which seems fairly close to my estimation of the dimensions of the tiles.

The other one, being a terrifying obscenity(with automatic CO2 recocking system) is 300+ fps, which is enough to bring it to the range of the majority of professionally made crossbows.

In any case, finding one of the latter crossbows seems rather unlikely in any part of the United States, I’d say that you’re probably putting it together from various parts, which makes it much more realistic to have the reduced range that is present. If not, then well… I guess that deer are even more serious business in cdda then.

EDIT: Actually just checked the json, it is custom made, and custom made crossbows don’t tend to have very long effective ranges without some serious work, parts like aircraft cable (doesn’t sound like the stuff the survivor has access to, but I might be wrong).

Definitely not made with string (as in cdda) by any means, but if it had been made like this then it might work at the range you want. Though, that one is exactly what the survivor would make if he had sense and a little bit of cable.

You are hopefully aware that there were repeating crossbows in the past? As in, when crossbows were actively used in fighting, they were originally invented by the Chinese. The romanized name is Chu-ko-nu, which might sound familiar if you ever played Age of Empires 2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
In any case, they looked like this:

Basically, they had some kind of Lever or wheel on the crossbow which they could spin, this motion would draw the crossbowstring, a bolt from the magazine on top would fall down and seconds later the crossbow would get shot, and so on till the Magazine was empty. The Description of the Repeating Crossbow definitely seems to point in a similar construction, just with modern materials.

A custom-made, large mechanical bolt-action crossbow with a wooden magazine that holds 10 bolts. Bolts fired from this weapon have a good chance of remaining intact for re-use.

Mind the ‘bolt-action’ in the description, that would also fit with the old Chu-ko-nu design, get the ‘bolt’ (string) back in its place and a (crossbow-)bolt falls down.

You are hopefully aware that there were repeating crossbows in the past? As in, when crossbows were actively used in fighting, they were originally invented by the Chinese. The romanized name is Chu-ko-nu, which might sound familiar if you ever played Age of Empires 2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
In any case, they looked like this:

Basically, they had some kind of Lever or wheel on the crossbow which they could spin, this motion would draw the crossbowstring, a bolt from the magazine on top would fall down and seconds later the crossbow would get shot, and so on till the Magazine was empty. The Description of the Repeating Crossbow definitely seems to point in a similar construction, just with modern materials.

A custom-made, large mechanical bolt-action crossbow with a wooden magazine that holds 10 bolts. Bolts fired from this weapon have a good chance of remaining intact for re-use.

Mind the ‘bolt-action’ in the description, that would also fit with the old Chu-ko-nu design, get the ‘bolt’ (string) back in its place and a (crossbow-)bolt falls down.[/quote]

Absolutely, it was the first thing that I came across in the search for information on the statistics of a repeating crossbow. I didn’t mention it because I don’t imagine that the survivor would bother going through all the details of a historical crossbow from a different country, one whom they most likely weren’t a fan of(given the pre-cataclysm McCarthyism). Also, the survivor wouldn’t likely implement all of the refinements because of time pressure.

I might be wrong on that count, but given the information I have about the crossbow in cdda, I don’t believe that it is reasonable for a given survivor to implement as effectively as a Chinese crossbow artisan. This is a fair argument though, but I don’t think that it is reasonable that a survivor, improvising with crap they found around the ruin of a town would implement it very well. Crossbow building is a fine art, and is a difficult thing to get right at best of times.

Just because it was used in the past doesn’t mean that the survivor has any hope of replicating the refinements Chinese bowyers created in order to achieve nearly modern crossbow performance.

Sorry about getting defensive about my research, but I found two “modern” designs, the pump-action in the first link I put up, and the CO2 canister powered recocking mechanism in the second. The bolt-action-like lever hadn’t occurred to me. Still defensive, sorry.

What I meant to get around to saying was that I think that the limitations of the repeating crossbow’s range are entirely reasonable given the circumstances of it being made.

A crossbow with some kind of pressure tank wouldn’t make any sense considering the parts you’re using to build a repeating crossbow. Two-by-fours/sticks, springs, nails and a string - That, plus the description from it, seems to point towards the chinese repeating crossbow, which isn’t actually much different from a normal crossbow (which also fits, because the repeating crossbow has the same difficulty as the normal crossbow). The only real addition to the Chu-ko-nu is a wooden magazine and a few (probably wooden) cogs and levers in order to reload and shoot the crossbow.
While I do usually think of the Chu-ko-nu when i use a repeating crossbow igname, its most likely some kind of hybrid between the chu-ko-nu and that one pump action crossbow you found earlier.

I definitely agree with you though, the crossbow is made from possibly sub-par materials too, that won’t help with the range either, especially if you do a bit of research and find out that bows and crossbows need to be out of somewhat special wood in order to work properly. That does explain th limited range.

Another point to the range and confidence: Stances are not ingame, so we have to assume that the survivor simply stands and shoots, which is…not perfect to get good aim. There is also the fact that you can wait (aim…) in oorder to increase your confidence, which does make sense.

I doubt if any admins and Kevin Granade is even watching what we said…

Well, I was justifying the sub-par range on the repeating crossbow, so I think that its fine if they don’t. If they do see this: Hi admins!

I spend a lot of time reading the forums, but I don’t have time to get involved with every discussion that comes up. I know there are some issues with the interactions of archery and the new aiming system, but I don’t have time to work on it right now. When I do I’ll look this thread up again to make sure I address all the issues you’ve brought up.

Understood, don’t be too hard on yourself.