Items rolling away

Not too huge of an addition, but items left on the ground outside should roll around randomly. Nothing fancy, just move like 1 tile per day or something. Also explains the old walking turrets!

If I’m understanding right, this shouldn’t apply to square or irregularly shaped objects? Should my water bottle roll away? Maybe. Should my two by four roll away? Prolly not.

When we have Z levels will we be able to determine if there is a slight slope or will it be cliff or neigh?

You’re basically asking for the game to iterate through every single square of the reality bubble and if it does not have a roof, then iterate through every single item in that square and pick a random direction to move it.

Pros?
-Oh, that pile of junk I saw a few days ago is scattered away from where I last saw it. Neat.

Neutral
-Stuff you would have found randomly distributed before, is still randomly distributed.

Cons
-Oh God, here comes the daily lag spike! Brace for impact!

Probably not worth it for that kind of CPU load.

[quote=“deadmerits, post:2, topic:4633”]If I’m understanding right, this shouldn’t apply to square or irregularly shaped objects? Should my water bottle roll away? Maybe. Should my two by four roll away? Prolly not.

When we have Z levels will we be able to determine if there is a slight slope or will it be cliff or neigh?[/quote]

Everything.

I’m not talking about calculate it every day. Maybe reuse the plant code: If away for 1 hour, 1 item moves 1 tile. It would select the least AU tiles it could, so stuff would roll around bushes and such. This wouldn’t be hard unless you piled up huge amounts of loot laying around on the ground, which nobody should do anyway unless building fire. But nails and wood and such building supplies wouldn’t be affected.

This seems like a lot of work needed to implement a pointless feature.

You said “unless building a fire” and all I imagined was flaming pieces of debris rolling around while I sleep, lighting everything on fire.

Well it seems asinine that fires never even attempt top spread.

This game is pointless, and so was your comment.

I’m not going to be drawn into personal attacks here. This is a feature that would require massive amounts of coding and CPU processing, all for something that the player notices once, takes for granted and never gives any thought to again. Furthermore, bases setting on fire randomly is something that has already been tried and taken out of the game.

Oi, both of you cool it down.

And I have to agree with Inadaqute. This is kinda pointless.

Not shooting for realism here (Mostly).

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:9, topic:4633”]Oi, both of you cool it down.

And I have to agree with Inadaqute. This is kinda pointless.

[b]Not shooting for realism here (Mostly).[/quote]

Orly?

I’m gonna agree with everyone in the thread and say that this idea is a waste of time, CPU, and will probably turn the code into even more of a kludge than it is now.

There is little use to this for a lot of work and extra CPU usage GTAGuy, not to mention it doesn’t add anything. Just “…Fuck where’d that bottle of water- Oh there it is.” kinda shit.

I’m curious, was the suggestion a reference to something, or feature seen on another game maybe?

What was that grinding sound? Oh, just my V8 engine going for a walk :slight_smile:

Sorry for bad joke.

I don’t like the idea because it woudln’t make sense most of the time. When I was a kid I used to climb trees with my brothers a lot and we also liked to play with fire. One day I lost my lighter while climbing on a tree and about 5 days later we visited our beloved climbing tree again for the sake of nostalgia and there in the dirt there was my lighter, hasn’t moved a bit.

So I don’t see why we should annoy players without any good reason. Sure, some things might roll and move through heavy wind and stuff but c’mon - our chars don’t have to poop or pee, too.

Ha, I think my favorite part of this is the idea of engines & flaming trenchcoats rolling around.

But nah dude, not a good idea. :slight_smile:
–With z-levels, it seems perfectly reasonable for objects flagged with ‘round’ to roll down any slopes they land on though.

[quote=“GrizzlyAdamz, post:15, topic:4633”]Ha, I think my favorite part of this is the idea of engines & flaming trenchcoats rolling around.

But nah dude, not a good idea. :slight_smile:
–With z-levels, it seems perfectly reasonable for objects flagged with ‘round’ to roll down any slopes they land on though.[/quote]

Now I want to roll barrels over zombies like Donkey Kong.

What is this zombie fortress? Having bottles rolling around in some kind of Brownian motion simulator or some shit. What would we even do with this? Maybe put some random objects in a hallway and take bets on which one will “roll” to the other side first.

Not that the dev team is going to touch this idea with a 10’ pole. Pretty funny though.