Items not stacking correctly

I currently have a stack of 2 string 3ft and a stack of 4 string 3ft. Looking at the save file, I noticed 2 of them have “FIT” (i.e. fitted clothing) in their record, which the other 4 do not.

I 42 string_36 -1 0 1 FIT 0 0 null -1 0 NULL 0 -1 -1 -1 ''
I 42 string_36 -1 0 1 FIT 0 0 null -1 0 NULL 0 -1 -1 -1 ''
I 68 string_36 -1 0 0 0 0 null -1 0 NULL 0 -1 -1 -1 ''
I 68 string_36 -1 0 0 0 0 null -1 0 NULL 0 -1 -1 -1 ‘’

I pulled before posting this and I’m up to date.

Having the same problem with potato chips, they stack separately in inventory, up to 3 stacks. Since they don’t decay, i don’t see why.

No idea for the string but the chips is easy.

There are 3 flavours of chips that stack separately. The only differences between them are their description and moral bonus.

Simply saving, restarting the game, and loading, causes items on the map to become fitted. To test this, pull/compile the latest version. Start a new game as a lab technician (they start with clothing items that can’t be fitted like the lab coat), drop all your items, save the game and exit. Restart the game and load your character, and the lab coat, rubber gloves, and safety glasses you dropped will now be listed as “(fits)” in the encumbrance part of the item description. This can also happen for tools and containers, causing all manner of things that should stack together to suddenly not stack as some have the “FIT” tag and some do not.

edit: It’s definitely happening on load and not save, as the maps.txt file doesn’t show “FIT” for the gloves, coat, or glasses.

edit2: It happens when you drop a fitted item, then drop an unfitted item in the same square, then save. If you then restart the game and load, any items below the fitted item will now be fitted, even if they don’t have the “VARSIZE” tag. Unfitted items above the fitted item will remain unfitted.

[quote=“ejseto, post:4, topic:1255”][…]It happens when you drop a fitted item, then drop an unfitted item in the same square, then save. If you then restart the game and load, any items below the fitted item will now be fitted, even if they don’t have the “VARSIZE” tag. Unfitted items above the fitted item will remain unfitted.[/quote]Hi, I took your report and added it to the github issues as issue #1065 after trying it out myself. I’ve been able to reproduce it using just unfitted items by themselves on the ground; I suppose that somehow counts as being “below [a nonexistent] fitted item”.