I have a bit of a problem in my inventory

I must have picked up too many items at once. Anyway, some of my items were showing up without an assigned letter. I could only select them using the arrow keys.

Which was fine for those I was carrying. But what do I do with the ones that I’m WEARING? It seems that right arrow does the same as Enter. Namely activating an item.

So I can’t work out how to move my cursor over to the list of equipped items.

HELP. I need to take some of this stuff off.

what happens if you drop all you inventory then restart the game ?

I dropped everything I CAN and restarted. No change. The equipped items have no assigned letters.

Is there a “drop all” command anywhere?

EDIT: Found a solution.

I hit =

It let me remap the letters. Turns out all the overflow items were set to `

So I just hit = a = b etc

But it would be a great improvement if the cursor keys worked in the equipped items list…

good to know

Well what the hell is this?

I’m trying to sort out my various looted armour and for some reason even when I have nothing on my face, my face encumbrance is 3?!?

What are you wearing otherwise? There’s some armors and suits that cover your head as well.

Well the problem is still here when I’m standing around naked.

It says the first number is 0 (encumbrance due to items, right?)

Then + 3 (encumbrance due to layers?)

And gives a total of 3.

The head isn’t doing this but every other body part is.

… are you tragically overweighted? If you carry way too much crap it’ll affect your encumbrance too.

Or if you’re carrying more volume of items than you have storage space for.

AHA.

It wasn’t weight. It was volume. Not that I was carrying all that much, but since I stripped, I didn’t have my backpacks on.

Problem solved. Although I’m left wondering how the heck anyone plays this without rather high torso encumbrance. You seem to carry bugger all without a backpack.

In the early part of the game, you’re bound to get stuck with some heavy torso encumbrance. Once you’ve got the resources and skills to do so, make yourself some survivor armor and/or survivor harness/backpack/rucksack. They can carry a lot of stuff and the encumbrance isn’t too bad.

… and shopping carts man, shopping carts. 400 volume of mobile, set-up-defense-wherever-you-want (because zombies climbing onto it to attack you is like them climbing through a bush or window) goodness.

Grab a messenger bag from the city. In fact, grab two, because they are awesome. Also, fitted cargo pants. +1 leg encumbrance from two pairs is a lot better than a hit to torso encumbrance. Occasionally dead soldier group have helmet netting/holsters/leg pouches, as well. Also look for tool belts/utility vests on random zombies.

Yeah I just picked up some "drop pouches or something like that. Decent leg storage. I’ll look into crafting those survivor rucksacks. I have plenty of raw materials and skills. I just don’t know my way around the crafting in this version of the game.

EDIT: Hmm.

Looks like my MOLLE pack is actually better than any of the craftable stuff. I suppose along with a survivor harness it could be decent.

It’s just annoying how much encumbrance you get from layering. I have a superalloy MBR vest I want to wear over the top.

I suppose it won’t be a problem as long as I’m sticking to my guns as opposed to the zweihander.

A viable solution at the moment thanks to my pneumatic bolt weapon with underslung weapon of choice, improved iron sights and expanded magazine.

Speaking of which though… What is the best underslung weapon to use on a rifle type weapon?

I have the choice of an M203, aux flamethrower or a bayonet.

You can actually wear 1 cargo pants and 1 cargo shorts and it doesn’t encumber (I guess its the leg-portion of the cargo pants that is restricting? lol). I usually layer like that early on.

[quote=“DG123, post:14, topic:4591”]Yeah I just picked up some "drop pouches or something like that. Decent leg storage. I’ll look into crafting those survivor rucksacks. I have plenty of raw materials and skills. I just don’t know my way around the crafting in this version of the game.

EDIT: Hmm.

Looks like my MOLLE pack is actually better than any of the craftable stuff. I suppose along with a survivor harness it could be decent.

It’s just annoying how much encumbrance you get from layering. I have a superalloy MBR vest I want to wear over the top.

I suppose it won’t be a problem as long as I’m sticking to my guns as opposed to the zweihander.

A viable solution at the moment thanks to my pneumatic bolt weapon with underslung weapon of choice, improved iron sights and expanded magazine.

Speaking of which though… What is the best underslung weapon to use on a rifle type weapon?

I have the choice of an M203, aux flamethrower or a bayonet.[/quote]

Yeah drop leg pouches are good. Chest Rigs & Utility Vests are good too if you find them. Holsters, Quivers (the small ones if you can tolerate the weight-to-volume ratio) and Leather belts & Firefighter belts (wear 2 of each if you want) do not encumber at all.

The layering->encumbering mechanics can be kind of weird to grasp. The only reason I “get” most of it is because I’ve played around with layers so much trying to figure it out. There was a thread or two somewhere in which we were discussing maybe the devs making some changes (even just in the way the numbers look and are displayed) so it’d feel/look more intuitive. Hopefully some lil tweaks make it in game and make it more intuitive.

… oh, and the encumbrance penalty that hits your melee and dodge isn’t too big a deal once you get those up enough. Taking a -2 to dodge and melee when you’re at like 5 or 6 in either still makes most melee combat (if you fight tactically) easy enough.

… and I usually mod on shotguns to rifles, just because I like the thought of having a “oh crap” button if things get too close to me, and I tend to find mostly shotgun ammo really lol

you wanna get your shotty skill up a little before using an underslung though, because you don’t gain skill when using one, at least the last i checked. at least for the underslung shotgun, i don’t think it matters what skill you have in launchers with the m203.

Ironically I’ve not seen shotgun ammo since the last town I was in (before exporting my character to a new game version and world).

In THAT town I massacred half the zombies in town with a shotgun on the way to the second gun shop.

Anyway, I notice there are now multiple bayonets to craft. Which is best? One seems to do piercing damage…

The pistol bayonet is explainatory. It only goes on pistols.

The regular bayonet is… The same.

The sword bayonet is a makeshift machete turned into a bayonet. Only on rifles or shotguns.

Yes, but which is the better choice for a rifle/shotgun?

The sword bayonet seems to suggest it should be better, but isn’t piercing damage better than cutting damage?