It took 3 characters but I finally got my first kill, are you proud of me?

(first of all this is my first time using a forum so lmk if I’m doing this wrong)

My first character died to a pack of zombie cows at a dairy farm. My second character died after having his arm blown off while kiting a zombie through a minefield. My third character left his survival shelter, got spotted by a zombie dog, and bashed it to death with his cell phone (shoutout Nokia), achieving major blood loss in the process. I’m basically an expert now. I’ll soon go on to conquer the world…once I figure out how to stop the bleeding.

What are some small wins that made your day while playing Cataclysm?

11 Likes

Mi-go spawned next to a slime pit. It singlehandedly wiped them all out and then, after being heavily wounded due to taking down 200 slimes or so, got taken down by me with primitive weapons. I could finally reach another part of the map. That was nice.

3 Likes

That’s wild. I’m new to the game so I’ve only heard mentions of mi-gos and slimes myself. Are mi-gos really that tough? Or are slimes really that weak?

The problem is that slimes split. Mi-gos definitely are tough and even more so if they are in groups or there are special types of mi-go you will usually only find in mi-go structures, which can heavily debuff you.

2 Likes

Almost all small wins I’ve had were followed by instant-fails.
A few examples I can remember from old versions of the game:

• When Mooses (Meese? Meeses?) were the most dreaded character killers in the game, I took 3 steps out of the starting shelter and got attacked by one, who would just essentially turn me into mush. I yelled at him enough times that he ran away from me. I made my way back into the shelter with a broken arm, on day one. I decided it was smart to go the other way around. As soon as I open the door, a Mi-Go steps in. Yeah.

• Night raiding for food. Walking around with only the squares surrounding my character available as my night vision. I got “tagged” by a boomer. I lost my vision and decided to use my towel. I moved into the house that was just to the south of my position and managed to lose him. I felt quite happy with myself seeing this was like 3 or 4 days into the game, at the time, a record for me. I, for some reason, became emboldened and went back outside to the east and decided to cross the road to get to the grocery store I was wanting to raid. Dumbest decision because I had never been to that area and it just happened that I stepped into one of the (now obsolete) random minefields - they used to have 4 “signs” on each “corner” of their square, but I just managed to enter the field via the very middle it seems. I never got to the grocery shop.

2 Likes

Incredible. Why were meeses so overpowered? I understand that they’re absolutely massive in real life and could probably one-shot a human if threatened.

1 Like

Back then (in-game) they were just hostile but that was fixed now that they are neutral almost all the time - does not apply during Autumn/Fall though, then they will be more likely to be hostile - and they still are really horrible to deal with hand-to-hand. That applies to any creature that is faster than your average character. Because them moving faster also means they will attack you faster than you do. And that is what makes most woodland zombies dreadful - but also horses, normal deer and Moose. So, if you attack a Zombie Horse or an Antlered Horror (or a Zeindeer), they will probably clobber you 3 or 4 times while you even try to swing at them.

IRL? Never dealt with one - they’re not a thing where I am from - but seeing a few videos I’ve seen of them just bossing people around, they are a creature that I admittedly want nothing to do with.

2 Likes

regarding speed of monsters such as zeindeers, this was fairly recently changed.

2 Likes

I think my earliest feeling of accomplishment was when I finally figured out how to craft things properly from the detailed world around you.

I died many times before realizing you could smash furniture, lockers and appliances into usable pieces to build things like 2byswords and scrap metal helmets. Game really opened up for me after that.

5 Likes

Very germane to my current predicament: I’ve spent the last 45 real life minutes trying to build a fire so I can boil this stupid bottle of toilet water. Once I figure it out I probably won’t stop talking about it for a week.
The crafting is so deep it’s unbelievable, I learned I could use any counter as a crafting surface (duh, right?) and I had so many recipes available to me with the few things I’d collected.

1 Like

baby steps! If you haven’t already I suggest subscribing to the discord channel.

2 Likes

What’s best in cataklysm to crush your enemies see dem driven before you And h wait a second building cool cars drinking weird stuff you found in a lab and turn into a freak en fining cool loot but also replacing my body parts wit cyber stuff

1 Like

misterdoge, i reccomend using the CRIT expansion mod (it comes with base game)
it gives overpowered characters to let u get the hang of the game, i would recommend bionic professions mod after u either survive really long, or get bored of CRIT, and the u can start with a plain survivor charcater and then u can start doing challenge starts

2 Likes

You could also just use freeform when creating your character

2 Likes

u can also use debug settings in settings menu to give urself extra sta/trait points

2 Likes