Isy's Archery Mod

Isylwin, you should pop into IRC :slight_smile:

Uhm, I would but… uh… where is it :)?

Isylwin, I appreciate your every effort and look forward to see you honing your skills to acid-raining skies. :stuck_out_tongue:
Yes, I have suggestions too. :slight_smile:
I won’t bother you much with hand crossbows, even though them thingies are very useful - but CBMs somehow make them obsolete. I do wanna point out multishot and rapidshot to you, as they are as common in games as overlaping chassis’ in CataDDA. Precise shot is another thing, considering how the game handles how you actually hurt a foe.
Multishot could be a high-skill feature, allowing one to swipe up to three enemies in one swoop, or place two arrow-shots in close-range combat. Both scenarios suffer from a mild DMG penalty but To Hit Chance remains intact. It goes something like this, and you’re the lucky one that gets to be the judge:
Archery Skill - Multi Shot
lvl6 - two arrows, same enemy, base dmg halved
lvl7 - two arrows, same enemy, base dmg 75% / two arrows, two enemies, base dmg halved
lvl8 - two arrows, same enemy, base dmg 90% / three arrows, three enemies, base dmg 75%
lvl9 - two arrows, same enemy, full dmg / three arrows, three enemies, base dmg 90%
lvl10 - as above, but Multi Shots attack take as much time as ordinary ones if the player has Rapid Shot
*base dmg counts as projectile’s dmg ratio, not armor pierce, and not weapon’s bonus/penalty

Archery Skill - Rapid Shot
lvl3 has -2/-4
lvl4 has -2/-2
lvl5 has -1/-2
lvl6 has --/-2
lvl7 has --/-2/-2
lvl8 has --/-1/-2
lvl9 has --/–/-2
lvl10 has --/–/-1
*requirement for lvl7 archery Rapid Shot with 3 arrows is DEX 12 and PER 10, otherwise:
lvl7 has --/-1 and penalty for To Hit rolls isn’t lowered furthermore

If you had time, you could look into Cripple Shot and such; I’m not a great fan of Stun Shot, but you could ommit one’s movement in similar manner. Again - living, breathing things can be harmed by projectiles in numerous ways, but it’s really up to coder guys to say if the moose is bleeding or not and whether its crippled limbs slowly lead to death or not.

Hope you’ll get lucky with this. :wink:

Funny, I fixed the overlapping chassis thing just last night :stuck_out_tongue:

And rapid/multi/whatever trick shots… please no. I like that kind of thing, but this isn’t that kind of game.

Why? You think that it’s a gateway drug to magic missile? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
Can I atleast have eight bows readied with sixteen tentacles? And a pony and the Moon? :slight_smile:

Vultures, your idea’s are cool, but as Kevin said, they aren’t really for this game, so enabling such options wouldn’t get in the main game (devs decide). Also in the current engine (I think that’s what I should call it) this wouldnt be easy to create. So unfortunately I aren’t going to hook me with those suggestions :confused: sorry.

I did jump into IRC and had some awesome brainstorming and also some complaints.

People didn’t like the fact that I nerfed archery. I understand this, but what I’m adding here is what I think would make the game more balanced. If you don’t want this to happen tell the devs in particular, they decide if my mod gets added to the main game or not. If you tell them you dislike these changes I’m sure they will listen to you and maybe follow up your wishes.

Now on to the idea’s part:
A quiver! yes of course, but not just any quiver, no, a quiver that will load your last used type arrow so you don’t have to choose which type of arrow every time you shoot the bow.
Different kinds of arrowheads, stone, metal, sharpened, etc.
Different kinds of shafts, bone, metal, plastic, reeds, etc.
Types of fletching, feathers, plastic, no fletching, etc.
A noisemaker arrow, duct tape a noisemaker to an arrow, because why not (I like this one hehe)

I also ended up in a heated discussion about the weight of arrows, as they are nowhere near the real world’s weight. However I think the weight of the arrow was a limiting factor so you couldn’t carry too many although others said that they could just carry enough arrows and still loot and pillage fine.

Oh, and before I forget, ammo isn’t added to the weight of a gun, I was told the devs have this on their to do list, I’d be more than interested to help you fix this problem if we could talk about it.

All this definitely provides enough material to work on, thanks for the feedback guys.

-Isy

An alternative to fletching adding stability for the arrow is to add a bit of weight to the tip. Like a weighted arrow head. These are of course not as good as a properly fletched and tipped arrow.

Also in the current engine (I think that's what I should call it) this wouldnt be easy to create. So unfortunately I aren't going to hook me with those suggestions :/ sorry.

Wasn’t trying to push anything, less than to hook anything for sure. Just stating, a proficient archer in my game (and that is also a roleplaying one) can have a composite bow, twist it to horizontal wielding and short-pull a pair of arrows only to hit the Z both in lung and the head. It’s twice a chance for a crit hit, and a great way to fight off the game throwing in more than one zombie too close. Whether you realize that rapid shooting is actually a mechanism for both SMGs and automatic rifles already in the game is a discussion, rather than your discretion. But it’s your mod, and I’m just amusing you and Kevin with some default rules that are sitting out there for a couple of decades of roleplaying and other fantasy.
I’d just hate to see obscuring anyones idea here; just like playing and discussing the game; everywhere and with people that seem to think alike.

I recommend putting those feats in the game and making them as effective as they are in real life.

I want to pull a Legolas. That is all.

It would be incredibly cool to be able to pull off trick shots with both guns and bows with very high skill though, and it could be controlled with the (F)ire mode as well.

apparently those feats would overpower any other gun (due to the bow’s reliability and ammo availability) so just no, bows are already good enough as is (In-fact balancing issues are already happening to make you work for quality arrows as the normal wooden arrows were just too common and powerful at the start) and good job OP for having your work getting to mainline.

Just a quick message, I’d like to say that I’m going on holiday the 20th till 27th June and in preparation for this I’ll probably not be able to get any work done for this mod, unfortunately. Also I’ve been quite busy the last 3-4 days due to graduating so I haven’t done any work since the little update I released last Thursday. If you were looking forward to anything related to this mod, I’m sorry, you’ll probably have to wait till mid July for some proper content as I’m also going on holiday from 1 to 8 July. As my most recent contribution is added to the main game you can fork the main game repo if you want and develop the idea’s posted here. Again, I’m sorry, although you may find it silly to apologize to not spend your time on contributing to a game, I find it rude to storm in here announcing all kinds of ideas and not developing them.

-Isy

Thanks for the heads up.

Just to warn you though, you might not recognize the game when you get back :wink:

(This isn’t a teaser or anything, just that it’s been moving really fast lately.)