I just tried playing the latest experimental version of the island escape and it seems that its impossible to even get anywhere unless you play as a gaurd class.
My main gripes with why this scenario is unusable is:
- you can’t smash any furniture without the 5 brutes waiting outside hear you drop the soap (yes you’re on a prison, you can’t expect me to make at least one soap joke). This is a major issue because without any planks or other sturdy materials to defend yourself and craft, you’re dead. I tried dumping stats into strength and melee at the start, and it wasn’t even enough to kill a K9
- For a high security “Alcatraz” prison they don’t seem to take security very seriously. All of the doors are made of flimsy wood which the zombies can easily bust through, making it impossible to set up a base camp or to even catch your breath. I would find the brute swarms acceptable if the doors were sturdier, but as it stands, wood doors barely even slow them down.
- Since areas are so narrow, it makes hiding and fleeing nearly impossible, but they are just wide enough to make bottlenecking the zombies into attacking you one at a time also impossible.
- In normal prison maps you can turn the security to your advantage by luring zombie mobs into security robots or triggering other security systems. This apparently is not the case for the island maps, because of the aforementioned narrow corridors made it too easy for the zombies to gather up and easily overwhelm the robots.
- These issues are further compounded by the fact that there are no sustainable food sources or large food stocks (like in lab vending machines), making careful and cautious strategies like in lab escapes impossible, since it requires you to add quickly before food runs out and significantly hampers your ability to just hang back and sleep off your injuries.
My suggestions would be to do any number of the following to rebalance the map:
- significantly nerf the spawn rates of brutes, at least in the starting surface area
- increase security measures by replacing the flimsy wooden doors with steel or metal ones to allow players to “break off” a chase and provide some literal breathing room (as with the new stamina update, its much harder to simply outrun zombies without breaking line of sight/sound)
- increase security robot presence and lethality
- either further widen or narrow the corridors to make “flight or fight” tactics more viable
- add some traps or other hazards to trip up both players and monsters (this is a death row high security prison after all)
- add some sort of hammering item at the start, like even a chunk of steel from a shelf/etc
- have some other innmate NPCs (even hostile ones) take some of the heat from swarms and distract them