Is there a way to turn off permadeath?

Ok yeah yeah i know “Real hardcore rougelike players always use permadeath” And that is all nice and good but am a 30 year old with a job and a kid so i don’t get much time so it’s really upsetting to lose a old save because of random crap. anyway point is is there a way to turn off permadeath i mean if it’s a option i don’t see any harm.

There is not an option. The only way would be to savescum, back up worlds or transfer character data.

Closest thing that currently exists:

-set “view deathcam” to “optional”, so that it asks you if you want to view it when you die
-when it asks, close the game without answering

This will basically leave EVERYTHING as it was the last time you saved the game.

If you hit “no” on the deathcam option, then close the game while it’s still working, you can get your character back at the time of your last save (same character, same day of the year), but with all the changes to the world that happened with the character that died (including the existence of your own corpse and stuff in inventory at time of death). Note that I’ve only done this a couple of times by accident, and not recently, so this is MUCH more risky, but it might be what you’re after.

I may just play caves of qud for now.

Like Deoxy and Noctifer said, just alt-f4 when you get the ‘watch your last moments’ message. Provided you keep the CDDA launcher up, or the shortcut/folder at hand, it’s only a few moments until you’re back to loading your last save.

Issue is it’s clear you are not supposed to do that if your corse can be found with all your stuff on it.

Issue is it’s clear you are not supposed to do that if your corse can be found with all your stuff on it.[/quote]

That’s only if you kill it after you answer the question - if you kill it while it’s waiting for an answer, then your last save (and the entire world) is exactly as you left it.

Issue is it’s clear you are not supposed to do that if your corse can be found with all your stuff on it.[/quote]

No it’s so you can start a new survivor in the same world where you left off.

What you want to do is just backup your save every once in a while, and when you die you just reload the backup and start over from there. It’s essentially a save feature if you want to use it that way. It’s in the launcher and can just be done with a couple clicks of a button, with optional key presses for naming the save something other than the default, if you so wish.

Or what seems to be the most common, and has already been suggested, is just hit alt+f4 when you die and you’ll reload at the last auto save(autosave must be on, you can also hit Esc+7 to auto save at any time, with the default keybinding).

It is a single player game so you define what cheating is. I personally like starting a new character, so I don’t mind starting over, but obviously some people don’t and I’ve learned of these methods above from other threads like this. It seems a few people do this, because I don;t use the above methods, but have learned them from browsing here and reddit.