Savegame deletion when died

Hi,

I´m pretty new to this awesome piece of software art.
So, I am progressing quite good, the learning curve is quite manageable but there is one thing bugging me really badly.
Maybe it offends you guys idea of dying in a video game, but why is my savegame deleted when I die?
It would be KINDA ok if the next time I start in the same world I´ll end up in an area I know, but that also
does not seem to work. anyway… how can I turn off savegame deletion after dying, so I can go back to
the point of my last save and go on. If this can´t be fixed … i´ll really see myself loose interest soon… Nobody
wants that to happen!!

It’s a roguelike. I’ve never looked for an option to turn it off, but I’d assume there isn’t one.

If you want to keep a character around after death, copy-paste the world file somewhere.

In the options there is an option to delete the world after death, the choices are yes, no or query (ask).

It’s a rougelike so it has to have permadeath (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike#Key_features). In permadeath, upon dying the savegame is deleted, that means no loading after death, no coming back to life. It increases the difficulty and thrill of the gameplay and allows the player to focus more on the character development before trying out any dangerous stuff.

And yes, two characters can use the same world so if one of them dies then the other one can still use that world. Although I see no point in using the same world after dying in it, it would be better to start a brand new world that hasn’t been messed up by another character and (hopefully) contains new unexplored stuff.

If you close the game when it asks “do you want to see the last moments of your death”, it doesn’t save your death and instead keeps the old save.

More on permadeath: Permadeath - RogueBasin

And yeah, that feature is not going away. (But we also will not implement features that prevent you from ‘cheating’ death, as described above).

If this can´t be fixed .. i´ll really see myself loose interest soon... Nobody wants that to happen!!
Why would nobody want that? Changing interest over time is only natural.

Try something like winning in ‘crawl stone soup’ (Another roguelike game). And see how permadeath is actually a fun challenge. It makes you value the winning or the things you do more.

Go away!

Eyy, no reason to get flamey about it :v
[hr]
Honestly, I feel like Cata would be better if permadeath was optional. Cata’s amount of investment isn’t proportional to the ease of dying; in, say, NetHack or DF’s adventure mode, your character isn’t something you get incredibly attached to, so you don’t mind that much when you get offed by a random crossbow sniper or unexpected poison spike pit. In comparison, in Cata, you can spend half an hour building a character and hour upon hour of carefully arranging their base as you see fit, only to get killed because you accidentally pulled the pin on a grenade instead of eating a sandwich.

Personally, I savescum when I have YASD moments (e.g. day 1 hulks, last first aid kit fails on 5% chance to disinfect a wound, aforementioned accidental explosive detonations,) but I accept my death when it was due to a legitimate bad decision, like day-raiding a huge city early on or trying to melee a smoker without mouth protection.

This. Optional.

The older I get, the more I hate roguelikes and their anti-liberal death-enforcing fascist nature (partly sarcastic here). I’ll always find a way to circumvent the lack of a proper save system. And if I don’t, I’ll just walk away from the game and tell people to ignore it.

I WILL mess around in a complex and a deep game. My curiosity is quirkier, more unpredictable and stronger than that of any cat. Science WILL be conducted. The lack of a save system is downright anti-scientific and anti-enlightenment, as upon character death, its abscence causes the deletion of a certain achieved testing environment, and prohibits the exploration of alternative paths. And fun.

So, like, to hell with roguelikes but long live Cata.

P.S. Make a habit of archiving the entire ‘save’ folder with 7-Zip or something. Make it your new normal to save…

A) before doing anything that’s probably stupid, risky and fun.
B) when you occasionally realize you’ve played for like 2 hours or 15 000 keypresses without saving. Seriously. No more dawdling. F*cking save. Right now.
C) before heading out again from your base. Most character deaths occur outside the base.
D) IMMEDIATELY after finding something that’s really rare and/or valuable. Every action taken without saving from that point on is an increasing risk of losing that item.
E) just for the heck of it. The game could crash at any moment. You could lose power, causing your computer to reboot.
F) Just think about all the inventory organization, reading or vehicle building you’ve gone through in the past hour. Would you like to do it all over again? No? Then save.

Save. Save. Save.

Down with the roguelikes.

Long live savescumming.

To save the game is to cherish human progress. Insert propaganda posters.

I just copy my save folder and paste the copy of it in the game directory labelled as “backup save” or similar every now and then. Just in case something REALLY stupid happens and it wasn’t really my fault.

I had a bit of a scare just now due to a turret managing to somehow explode the petrol tank on my huge custom built motorbike. I have no idea how it did it considering all the armour plating wasn’t destroyed. Anyway I heard “pewpewpew” and was very surprised to see myself being surrounded by a gigantic explosion considering I was being shot at by 9mm rounds…

Didn’t die but I wouldn’t like to experience something like that without a back up.

I’ve always liked Cata for the amount of customization that you can put into your character/world/general debug things/whatever. So if someone doesn’t want permadeath, give them the option to not have it. Of course, there is currently an easy way to get out of it with the “Watch your death” avoidance, so I can understand if the dev team would rather spend time working on other things that are more important. What I wouldn’t understand is if there is some kind of pride-driven mentality that “Cata is a roguelike so permadeath MUST be a thing” or what have you(Edit: I felt like I should add in that I don’t think that this is the case). Sure, Cata is meant to be a roguelike, it is meant to be difficult, and you are meant to die… but more importantly, you should be having -fun-. If non-permadeath Cata is funner to other people let them have it.

That is my two cents on the situation anyways, sorry if I didn’t really contribute to the conversation :stuck_out_tongue:

I have always kind of rolled my eyes at permadeath. I recall reading the ‘official’ rogue-like definition long before the term “roguelite” came into being and feeling kind of insulted by it. Don’t get me wrong, I do ‘get it’, I disagree that it is about valuing your achievements more(That sounds more like the obvious thing that someone reaches for when trying to explain why they like it while not actually analysing their experience, there are much better ways of making people feel awesome about succeeding) but rather feel that it adds a new spin to the opportunities that it allows one to engage it. It removes trial-and-error as a free option, which is huge, and ramps up the tenseness by making a single flaky moment result in death-by-repeatedly-trying-to-run-through-a-shocker-brute’s-tile, but making things more tense is only really a thing in horror games, and those tend to be frustrating if you have to start repeating things.

It is kind of ironic that permadeath is primarily about preventing repetition but is inherently about promoting repetition. I find that a lot of rogue-likes really miss the ball when it comes to permadeath. Rogue works well because it is consistent. You are always looking for that next big item, sure, it goes from seeking out a decent leather armour and a ring of slow digestion to trying to cram enchantments onto a two-handed sword, and there are the special moments when each character first meets a troll, but it is all basically looting and levelling and leaving-judiciously while hoping to find the amulet. F.T.L. is another example of a game that makes great use of permadeath, outside of seeing a particularly compelling run to its conclusion there is not much difference between a given moment of a game. Certainly things change, the feel shifts a bit as you go from a dinky schooner that is nigh-invulnerable with two shield layers to a rampaging death-box that can be promptly ended by a single ion-bomb in the shield-room but the basic theme remains pretty much static throughout. Then you get something like T.o.M.E. that just completely misses the point and has all sorts of weird and wonderful new environment types that you will only ever see if you are completely immune to flaking-out and find the endless level-scumming to find the specific resistances that are strictly required, or save-scum… Realistically, most people will spend most of their time with strictly low-level characters(before the classes majorly diverge or any skill and/or item synergies can be established) in strictly low-level environments(which tend to be a little on the simple(dull) side of things even before the repetition) and will miss out on much of the game-experience.

Really, I feel that Cata kind of suffers from being a bit too easy, and that permadeath wouldn’t work if it wasn’t. There are near-perfect counters to most everything which sort of takes away the menace. It is basically a Batman simulator, and as everyone with any sense realises, Batman has superpowers, they just aren’t obvious ones. Batman is never in any danger at all, the challenge is not in overcoming anything, it is in figuring out preparations in advance and making sure that all the necessary materials for those preparations will be available. Cata is limited as a horror game because if one takes their time and does their due diligence, then there is no real threat. Cata fails as an advancement game because there is a lot of advancement and you can lose all your progress from a single mistake, and to get back to the same amount of advancement that one previously possessed one will generally do much the same things to get there and reach much the same result by doing so. Someone in it to build their own base from scratch will likely find permadeath, if it becomes an issue, to be frustrating. Accidentally driving over your collection of logs and smashing a week’s worth of lumber-jacking into tooth-picks is not the sort of thing that leaves someone with a sense of accomplishment for having overcome, nor is it typically satisfying to have taken precautions to prevent it(though keeping your ridiculous pile of logs in a cute little shack can be satisfying from a roleplaying perspective…).

To cut a long story short, I just sort of feel that Permadeath sort of fails when applied to complex games with transitioning gameplay…

All of this is not a request to have permadeath removed, obviously lots of people like it, a lot, a whole lot… I just sort of feel that giving people the option to save is a position that tends to attract hostility for some reason and I felt like randomly defending it… It would be nice if there were an option to remove it, aside from the obvious nuclear option of saving the entire world file manually. Of course, I do not know the specifics of what would be required in implementing such a thing. If, for example, the game ran directly off of the world file then the problem would be a bit more complex and could produce a lot of wasted space in the form of junk saves of the entire world…

I have gotten pretty far through Rogue without save-scumming, but never found the amulet. I once save-scummed my way through and it was really interesting to see how it was actually possible to win if one just had a perfect run and never did anything stupid. But I am a bit of a flake, and games with no save option are never really going to work for me because, given enough time, I will inevitably do something absent-minded and those weeks that I spent trudging through Mirkwood will all suddenly vanish because I hit the “engrave floor” button by mistake and merrily knelt down on the ground and started finger-painting as greater demons did their summoning-orgy thing… Not to mention the fact that depth-divers have more fun… Nor that gear-grinders are being particularly sporting…

So yeah, I am a save-scummer and proud of it!

Puh… Ideology war! Should have seen this coming when I read about this feature called permadeath before asking. Also, btw, we´ve already scratched the outside shell of goodwin´s law… almost crash :slight_smile:

So tawarochir´s point is the one I also meant… It´s cool to run around in the early game and look for good stuff, sorting your inventory building your base etc… but then, admittedly even though the game does a great job of making sure that even in this “standard” situations you always encounter something new, having to do it over and over again makes it a little boring.
I love exploring the game, but the over and over thing is whats bugging me.

Ok, even though having played rouge and nethack in the 80s and 90s before, I honestly didn´t even know that a word exists for this kind of game feature. Consequently, there´s also a word for preventing this feature. :slight_smile:
I believe that back in the very late 70s and early 80s nobody cared if there´s such a thing or not, it just was not possible to save. Not only in ascii adventure/rpgs (whats now roguelikes)running on mainframes but also on the early console or home computer games of all sort. Nobody complained about an atari 2600 game lacking a save option, or a cassette c64,speccy,… it was just not there due to technical difficulties. Basta!
Off course on the other hand, it greatly prevents the player from making stupid decissions and based on this idea many game designers went on to implement it in the game or build more immersive game features around it. But also, with games evolving and getting more and more complex. (I believe the most complex game I ever saw is probably also a roguelike) I think this relic from the past should at least be optional.
Ok so now for the killer arguments: Honestly, as you see many people circumvent this feature. Also, people use the dev options to make their first few escapes into the cataclysm more… (Attention lannguage barrier:)… bearable. Honestly, The first yt video I saw about dda was an introductory tutorial where the player ramped up his points saying It makes it easier to explore the whole variety of features this game has to offer or so and later on, get it on real and don´t cheat anymore. Maybe a not so bad idea with such a complex game.
Also, I don´t agree with the “good example” point thats made out in the links given, that saving the game in order to find the cool pool to drink from (some pools give you luck, some a bad day) … game designers : int r =rand(), thats possible even in a procedurally generated game!
X-Plode, what would you say to the people that loose interest very, very early since they don´t yet know how to fight and get killed by a horde of zombies 9 out of 10 times they try to play the game (ok, maybe bad example but you get the idea)? It´s the game designers responsibility to keep those from quitting the game, risking that they might miss all your work and possibly miss one of the coolest games ever. One could say, well then prevent it with making X or Y in the game, but hey: Why not implement a proper save feature?? It´s 2016!
One of THE most elected games as best game ever is Monkey island. First, you can´t even die in it and second, it has a save option. Third, people cheated by using walkthroughs, etc… MI2 even encouraged the player to call the helpline. in order to get told what to do as the next step. Kids gave tips to each other during their school lunchbrakes… and did it spoil the game´s immersion or overall fun? NO way. I also cheated in MI and I ever, ever again would say it´s the best game ever, I hat hilarious moments with it.

So… all in all it boils down to two things: First, freedom to enjoy a game the way you personally prefer it. And nobody should ever blame you for doing it the way you prefer, which comes to point two.:
choice. self explaining or: (I want to turn of permadeath!! :slight_smile: )

Coming from a long background of roguelikes I don’t see any problem with permadeath. Lord knows how many of my characters have left their bones in the dungeons of Angband. Sooooo pissed I lost my old save on the floppy with the level 50 elf wizard, I’d managed to scrag Sauron and was doing the last few runs to collect the gear to face Morgoth. Ah well.

Now, if a game GIVES me an option to disable permadeath? Yeah, sure, I’ll turn it off. Dungeons of Dredmor was fun for the first 50 or so runs with it in but after beating Dredmor it was also fun to turn it off and mess around with builds instead of finding the most optimal one to punch that skeletal fool in the face. It had some save corruption issues as well, which could be highly annoying as even forcequits and backups just led to the same issues in the same places but that might have been some of the mods I was using.

Like others have said just keep a backup of the world folder for that character somewhere safe and update it every time you save. If you need it it’s there. If you ever do anything in game (or get completely screwed by something out of you control) that you deeply regret just CTRL+ALT+DEL out of it. I can’t condemn it because I’ve had to do it a few times and honestly, if a game isn’t fun it’s not worth the time put in. For me the risk of permadeath is part of the fun.

Try new starts, try new professions, try rolling up a whole new story in your head. Remember that the only goal of the game is to stay alive as long as possible and much like Dwarf Fortress once you’ve managed to set it up where you’re not always worried about something and no longer need to play with extreme care it becomes very dull, very quickly. Try out some of the mods. PK’s Rebalance can be especially !!FUN!!, I’ll let you find out why.

Random side note to Yello: Did you ever play “The Savage Empire” and “The Martian Chronicles”? Two of the most enjoyable rpg/adventures I’ve ever played.

[quote=“TheWumpus, post:14, topic:12489”]Coming from a long background of roguelikes I don’t see any problem with permadeath. Lord knows how many of my characters have left their bones in the dungeons of Angband. Sooooo pissed I lost my old save on the floppy with the level 50 elf wizard, I’d managed to scrag Sauron and was doing the last few runs to collect the gear to face Morgoth. Ah well.

Now, if a game GIVES me an option to disable permadeath? Yeah, sure, I’ll turn it off. Dungeons of Dredmor was fun for the first 50 or so runs with it in but after beating Dredmor it was also fun to turn it off and mess around with builds instead of finding the most optimal one to punch that skeletal fool in the face. It had some save corruption issues as well, which could be highly annoying as even forcequits and backups just led to the same issues in the same places but that might have been some of the mods I was using.

Like others have said just keep a backup of the world folder for that character somewhere safe and update it every time you save. If you need it it’s there. If you ever do anything in game (or get completely screwed by something out of you control) that you deeply regret just CTRL+ALT+DEL out of it. I can’t condemn it because I’ve had to do it a few times and honestly, if a game isn’t fun it’s not worth the time put in. For me the risk of permadeath is part of the fun.

Try new starts, try new professions, try rolling up a whole new story in your head. Remember that the only goal of the game is to stay alive as long as possible and much like Dwarf Fortress once you’ve managed to set it up where you’re not always worried about something and no longer need to play with extreme care it becomes very dull, very quickly. Try out some of the mods. PK’s Rebalance can be especially !!FUN!!, I’ll let you find out why.

Random side note to Yello: Did you ever play “The Savage Empire” and “The Martian Chronicles”? Two of the most enjoyable rpg/adventures I’ve ever played.[/quote]

I agree for the most part and I personally feel that the game is easier than most roguelikes that are there. I’ve never ascended crawl or nethack but I’ve surely gotten far enough in the game to create a really OP character (to the point where I’ve gotten bored and started anew). And as it has been said before, the game will be easy if you understand the mechanics and create a character with balanced stats.

Try balancing the good and bad traits, experiment with different scenarios and professions, lowering the size of cities, etc. I’m sure you’ll get to the point where you’ll find playing new characters and situations enjoyable. Be sure to read up those guides on the wiki (link: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Category:Guides).

The point of the thread itself is meaningless; Permadeath is an integral part of the game, it keeps the player on their toes making them to think twice before they make any decision, trivial or not. It also makes the player value their character and the mental bond with their character grows as a result. And it seems highly unlikely that the devs will ever make Permadeath optional at a time when the future of 0.D is embroiled in debates on adding tedious realism to the game (https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/17254).

And this is a complete game, not an experimentation so toggle-able features should be rare (if not absent) as kevingranade has already said:

If you find yourself stuck somewhere you can always use the debug menu which you can access by adding a key for it in the keybindings menu (’?’ > ‘1’ in 0.C stable). You can also “hang-up” the terminal by ^C in *nix and by killing the console using the Task-Manager in Windows (access by Windows + R --> type ‘taskmgr’; or use Ctrl + Alt + Del).

I kinda like permadeaths, there is no need to argue about it though.