Inactive turrets/manhacks

Can anyone explain to me how these work? Found some in a military bunker and not sure if I’m brave enough to try them.
Do I have to reload them all the time with bullets or do they somehow magically get them? Should I maybe place these outside my base or plant these on my car?
And how likely it is that I just step out from my base and they blow me to pieces accidentally while shooting at a random creature near me?

last time i tried using a turret and it blew me to bits… stay safe

[quote=“Phoenix, post:1, topic:1085”]Can anyone explain to me how these work? Found some in a military bunker and not sure if I’m brave enough to try them.
Do I have to reload them all the time with bullets or do they somehow magically get them? Should I maybe place these outside my base or plant these on my car?
And how likely it is that I just step out from my base and they blow me to pieces accidentally while shooting at a random creature near me?[/quote]

1. They work by 'a’ctivating them, turrets will prompt you to place them adjacent to you while manhacks will automatically fly and attack nearest enemy.
  2. Don’t have to reload them, I think they have infinite ammo but not too sure. However if you plant one then leave the nearby area it will despawn so it will be lost forever, you can deactivate them though but I believe there is a chance they will be un-recoverable.
  3. They don’t care if you are near or in line of fire and because they burst and have bad aim you need to make sure you are behind them, and be careful placing multiple turrets as they can shoot each other the same way as well.

Thanks for answers!

Sounds kinda scary so might skip using them for a while heh

[quote=“Phoenix, post:4, topic:1085”]Thanks for answers!

Sounds kinda scary so might skip using them for a while heh[/quote]
Manhacks are pretty much risk free in my experience, and they’re quite useful for escaping from a horde, or sudden Bear attacks. They don’t survive very well but they make great distractions.
Turrets on the other hand, use burst fire and have bad aim, so if you’re anywhere in the 90º arc of whatever they decide to start shooting at, they gun you down.
I use them against fungal spires sometimes as then you can consistently be behind them, which is when they’re actually pretty useful.

You may misprogram them when activating them and then they’ll be hostile though.

I once set a turret down, I was carrying around a rifle and it turned hostile, I was right next to it so I died straight away xD