I want the time back

…that I spent downloading this. Bereft of purpose, point, objectives, or any feeling of reward or enjoyment. Because it’s so utterly beyond
intuitive mechanics even for a lifelong gamer & roguelike enthusiast, I had read countless tutorials & watched YouTube videos just to START a game.
I thought surely such complicated game-play had to imply commensurate depth & an ultimately satisfying experience -= eventually. Nope, just a continual building frustration & awareness of an ever-increasing list of activities preferable to this game, such as holding my breath until I faint or die, or gauging an eye out with a spoon.
I just can’t believe anyone anywhere actually spends time on this. Have fun. Or whatever y’all get out of this.

That tends to be how it goes. If you spent more time prepping to play the game rather than actually trying to figure it out you can just burn yourself out before it’s even begun.

You mean !!!FUN!!!

Back in my time we would start the game by just checking keybinds.
What kind of a shit-tier “roguelike enthusiast” has a problem with DDA?

I blame roguelites for teaching kids that Bindings of Isaac and Faster Than Light are the same genre as Poschengband and Nethack.

1 Like

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:4, topic:12588”]Back in my time we would start the game by just checking keybinds.
What kind of a shit-tier “roguelike enthusiast” has a problem with DDA?

I blame roguelites for teaching kids that Bindings of Isaac and Faster Than Light are the same genre as Poschengband and Nethack.[/quote]
Don’t forget rogue legacy and teleglitch.

Good thing you didn’t pay anything for it or invest more than a couple minutes to it. I hope you find something more your style, perhaps something made by tiger electronics or one of those pegs babies stack rings on.

1 Like

It is what it is, and we’ve having fun making it even if it’s far from complete. I’d figured getting into the game, the fact it’s a massive ongoing community WIP was kinda evident, but perhaps not.

It’d be nice to come up with a main plotline to follow thru until the end, but with the game the way it is, adding such a finale would leave a taste in the mouth like any bethesda main quest, which we usually just ignore anyway by the second playthru.

Well this is a nice troll bait, huh?

No. Your time is ours now, and we’re keeping it!

I knew this was a boring thread and yet I clicked it. Must be something wrong with me.

Take a break mate, get yourself a bannana or something. Y’know some potassium to balance out all that salt.

Then come back to the game in a couple months with a fresh set of eyes. It’s what I did and I’ve been stuck here ever since.

The apocalypse is hard, man, it’s hard.

Dear OP mon ami you should try Omega the roguelike.

There’s no let’s play, no wiki, nor spoiler to read, or no time to waste until your horse turns into a chaffincher.

Assuming you’re not just here to whine, I’d suggest you go back and download base 0.C or one of the builds up to about 230something. The game was a lot more about just having fun and fucking around then than it is now, and I personally prefer playing that to the new experimentals at the moment.

There’s a few other suggestions I could make, but that would be the biggest one, and I’m kinda guessing this sort of game might not be for you anyway.

[quote=“flergh_666, post:1, topic:12588”]…that I spent downloading this. Bereft of purpose, point, objectives, or any feeling of reward or enjoyment. Because it’s so utterly beyond
intuitive mechanics even for a lifelong gamer & roguelike enthusiast, I had read countless tutorials & watched YouTube videos just to START a game.
I thought surely such complicated game-play had to imply commensurate depth & an ultimately satisfying experience -= eventually. Nope, just a continual building frustration & awareness of an ever-increasing list of activities preferable to this game, such as holding my breath until I faint or die, or gauging an eye out with a spoon.
I just can’t believe anyone anywhere actually spends time on this. Have fun. Or whatever y’all get out of this.[/quote]
HMMM.

Dwarf Fortress might be more up your alley. Easier. Less steep learning curve. My 9yo nephew learned to play it in about a day. Although he has like an IQ of 140. I tried to show Cata to him, and he just said “That sounds like a game for old people. Mom and dad are in the kitchen. You could go be old with them.”

…I’m still not sure if he was being deviously snarky or just helpful.

Yeah df is super easy, it’s a little joke in the roguelike community that it’s the Call of Duty of roguelikes.

[quote=“flergh_666, post:1, topic:12588”]…that I spent downloading this. Bereft of purpose, point, objectives, or any feeling of reward or enjoyment. Because it’s so utterly beyond
I just can’t believe anyone anywhere actually spends time on this. Have fun. Or whatever y’all get out of this.[/quote]

You want your time back? Why did you ever bother to make a account just to make a single post? Ever consider asking for help?

Ha. Well, I was somehow expecting either funnier flames, or someone who picked up watch first play-through and then didn’t later play-troughs and just wanted non celestial time keeping again.

im loling at the idea that some kids idea of a roguelike is Dick Holder’s Big Day Out.

Im juust old and nerdy enough to have played late 80s computer games as a kidde.

Man, Dangerous Dan, some polygon game where i coud kick corpes, some digdug 2d roguething.

somebody sit me down and explain how starting a new game was hard or even unintuitive.
maybe too many options? but… but like then how do these people play games like real rpgs?

It was very satisfying to set the correct channel/irq/Hz/dma/port/reso/kb+mouse/memory/colordepth way back then.

Now everything uses polygons and sdl and java, very disappointing future.