I forgot how much this game was high octane nightmare fuel

Looking at the wiki, it appears that giant black widows (I have mild arachnophobia) are the least of my worries in this game. After coming back to this game after so long I’ve forgotten the reeaaaaally scary shit in this game. Gozus, Blood Angels, graboids, mi-gos and Jabberwocks just to name a few. It really leaves a lot to the imagination. (And keeps me up at night.

1 Like

I’d wish i had the inmersion you have, to get really scared with a game like this. Really.

But then again this is me staying up throughout last night, so I kinda come to my senses after I go to sleep, but that stuff is still scary both in appearence and encounter, and I still have mild arachnophobia.

Most of my “nigthmares” have to do with my primary high octane fuel eating mobile (Currently my souped-up humvee) doing 360s into lakes or even scraching other cars (OH THE HUMANTIY I scream as I dent my car on a tree).

I really enjoy roguelikes because unlike other games,they leave stuff to your imagination.

But I don’t get “hyped up” over monsters with terrifying descriptions,unless they are proceeding to kill me but that’s probably because my character is high level enough to find monsters with terrifying descriptions in the first place.

The red J haunts me in my dreams… shudder
Not to mention the mi-gos. I agreed it was nice weather we were having and he still ripped me to shreds. What an asshole!

[quote=“Jakers, post:6, topic:6111”]The red J haunts me in my dreams… shudder
Not to mention the mi-gos. I agreed it was nice weather we were having and he still ripped me to shreds. What an asshole![/quote]I FRIGGIN hat mi-gos. If you read any thread about what kills your player most, I’ll always reference the damn things.

I get really wrapped up in this kind of thing too. I just found an Amigara Fault in a cave and I had to go back and re-immerse myself in that creepshow. Oh, and a suitably epic 1-on-1 duel with John Carpenter’s The Thing at the bottom of another mine. Really gets the mental creep-gears turning. I had to go and re-read through some of the obscure Lovecraft stories when I found Mi-Go hunting me and Shoggoths captive deep below ground in the science labs…

Out of curiosity, are the more esoteric nether enemies references to something I’m not aware of? I’ve read a pretty good amount of Lovecraft and other sci-fi horror, and have seen a fair bit of anime, though not so much recently.

Blank bodies are horrifying for some reason. Almost moreso because they live underneath cathedrals, and chillingly, do not seem to fight back when you butcher them. I don’t recall them from anywhere else though…

Demented, Homonculi & Flesh Angels I feel like I’ve seen or heard of somewhere. Homonculus brings Full Metal Alchemist to mind, though this is clearly a different version…

Blank bodies always remind me of Edvard Munch’s Der Schrei der Natur

The homunculus is a mythical creature from ancient alchemical lore. It’s supposedly a tiny person that’s been artificially created in a laboratory. The more modern use of the term (cortical homunculus) refers to scale-drawings of the human form which show various neurological attributes by means of proportion.

As the image’s caption illustrates, the size of each body part represents the density of sensory nerves in that particular area.

Blank bodies always remind me of Edvard Munch’s Der Schrei der Natur

The homunculus is a mythical creature from ancient alchemical lore. It’s supposedly a tiny person that’s been artificially created in a laboratory. The more modern use of the term (cortical homunculus) refers to scale-drawings of the human form which show various neurological attributes by means of proportion.

As the image’s caption illustrates, the size of each body part represents the density of sensory nerves in that particular area.[/quote]
Why are his balls smaller than his ears… I mean come on, even with the sound involved it stills hurts like a motherfucker to lightly tap your balls, much less get power kicked there (Learn be careful around some friends I learned), I mean, extreme sound? 2 minutes of not hearing shit, mild pain, Power kick to the testicles? 10 minutes of almost vomiting on the floor hunched over with tears coming out of your eyes due to pain.

My guess would be that nerve density and pain intensity aren’t directly related. Getting kicked in the genitalia HURTS, but it doesn’t mean that more nerves are firing off, just that your brain really pays attention to pain in that particular area. Your ears have to be able to sense minute changes in air pressure with enough precision that you can tell the difference between laughter and screaming in fear.

TR SCUM

And these are all the “real” monsters, what happens when you come upon your own mother?

Modern fantasy and scifi has adopted homunculus to mean any magically (or sometimes artificially) animated humanoid creature. Likewise a golem was originally a very specific thing, a humanoid figure carved of clay animated by embedding “the word* of God” (literally, a scrap of scripture) in its body, but now is frequently used to mean any animated statue.

Demented and Flesh Angels might be originals, acidia added those, if there’s a source I’m not aware of it.

*The gist of it is more accurately “the breath of God”, in reference to the origin story in Genesis.

I’ve played many hours on cataclysm but never once found flesh angels, homunculus, blood sacrifices, or dementia.

Where can I find them so I can Blow their faces up with a shotgun!

The roguelike that creeped the hell out of me was Rogue Survivor.
ROGUE SURVIVOR AND THEIR MADAF---- Hospital.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:16, topic:6111”]The roguelike that creeped the hell out of me was Rogue Survivor.
ROGUE SURVIVOR AND THEIR MADAF---- Hospital.[/quote]

Yeah especially when you find Jason in the basement

(Or you just die and take him over with the resurrection system :3)

[quote=“CritMedic, post:15, topic:6111”]I’ve played many hours on cataclysm but never once found flesh angels, homunculus, blood sacrifices, or dementia.

Where can I find them so I can Blow their faces up with a shotgun![/quote]

You should spend more time in the woods. :wink:

[quote=“KA101, post:18, topic:6111”][quote=“CritMedic, post:15, topic:6111”]I’ve played many hours on cataclysm but never once found flesh angels, homunculus, blood sacrifices, or dementia.

You should spend more time in the woods. ;-)[/quote]
I live in isolated woodland cabins, and go hunting in the woods every day. WITH PIPE BOMBS. If the flesh angels are out there, they don’t really care about me.

[quote=“Forrest, post:19, topic:6111”][quote=“KA101, post:18, topic:6111”][quote=“CritMedic, post:15, topic:6111”]I’ve played many hours on cataclysm but never once found flesh angels, homunculus, blood sacrifices, or dementia.

You should spend more time in the woods. ;-)[/quote]
I live in isolated woodland cabins, and go hunting in the woods every day. WITH PIPE BOMBS. If the flesh angels are out there, they don’t really care about me.[/quote]

Hmm. Have you ever found a pre-fortified cabin and wondered who you might thank for that effort?