Hunting and tracking game

So was on the IRC channel and had a thought.

Why not add tracking game possible?.

I mean in real life when hunting dear you dont aimlessly wonder around all day looking for them.
You scout an area out for foot prints,droppings and well used tracks and set up a hide a few weeks before.
Then go early morning get in the hide and wait.

I understand this may not work because wildlife as far as I know is not simulated as such eg

Deer and stuff dont search for water holes and vegetation to eat.

But I think it would be awesome if this was possible imagine…

You wake up early morning and wonder of into the forest and see a small water hole.
on approaching it you see a lot of activity foot prints (looks like deers) and all so dropping.

So you scout around and find a tree just up from the water hole and decide to set up your small pop up hide.

leaving it there you head home and head back a few days later.

you crawl into the hide early hours of the morning and get comfy probably with a cup of tea (yes I am british) and wait.

All of a sudden you see a few deer walking towards the water hole and you decide to take one out with your trusty crossbow. :slight_smile:

This could certainly be worth adding once we get actual static wildlife to track, but up until that happens wildlife doesn’t actually exist for you to track, so you can’t really do this.

Yeah I understand the current wildlife system at the moment would not work with it.

but as you say I think once the wildlife is sorted it would be great to see

dogs chasing deer,turkey etc

zombies chasing dogs etc

and all animals looking for food and water and stay around the general area of water sources and food eg deer stay near bushes etc and once all the food and water is used u they go looking for more.

The bushes could disappear once a deer eats it meaning they go off looking for more bushes etc.

It would all so mean we could set up traps near bushes knowing a deer may wonder over to it as well.
But I think hunting and tracking really would be amazing fun :slight_smile:

Correct me if I’m wrong here but.

If you use the same system the game currently uses for hordes, you could patch together a "T"rack command that then checks your current overland tile and survival skill and then spawns a mobile spawner containing the animal(s) you tracked if any. (Forests and other outdoor areas would have better chance of success and the spawner would also move away from stuff the horde is normally attracted to like lights and noise.)

For Example: “You spot signs of deers towards the North” (This would then generate a mobile spawner somewhere to the north that contains 2-4 deers.)
If your skill is too low to identify what you are tracking it would just say signs of a “few” “some” “many” “small” “medium” “large” animals. (those would be rolled randomly from a pool of animals).

Of course you could accidentally track down a zombified animal or even a Mi-Go or a Jabberwock.

What about for low level
"You see a large silhouette to the north"
"You see a mis-shapen silhouette to the east"
Mis-shapen could be a buck due to the horns, or a jabberwock,
And large sillhouette could be a jabberwock, dear, bear, and any other large wildlife.

I’d think that “You see signs of some Large Creature to the North” Would be enough. Since it takes account everything like: prints on the ground, broken branches, droppings and so on.
Also for low skill you can’t really tell what you are tracking, you only see that something has gone through there and can only make an estimate how big/small it was.

If someone wants to put more work they could add individual signs for each animal like “You see hoof prints heading towards the north” would tell you that it’s an animal with hoofs, Or " You see claw marks on the trees" Tells it’s an animal with claws.

Perhaps simulate an environment in explored area? Bucks and doe can move through map tiles and after a certain time if there is a buck a doe will give birth to another dear? And things such as bears and zombies kill the dear so there is no extreme overpopulation?

loving these ideas :slight_smile:

i was thinking maybe we could track by pressing a key combo.
kind of like how you can display the scent of your self (hidden feature not bound by default).

We have a pretty good outline of how monsters(including wildlife) that wander on the overmap are supposed to work. Once that’s implemented, this wouldn’t be too hard to do.

that’s fantastic really looking forward to this one :slight_smile:

Thanks again all

That’s pretty much the catchphrase of C:DDA.

Oh well looking forward to it.

Blame it on the extremely low devs/idea generators ratio. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still, this HAS to be done!

because, i mean, it’s so awesome… ;-;

Then you could track a cougar trail back to a den and slay like 13 mountain lions with a glass shiv, victoriously exiting with a new cougar hide cloak adorning your body.

Also, this ties in entirely. Since medical gloves are pathetic for anything we could make a blood stained hands effect (which decreases your innocent killing penalty?) that is preventable by waterproof gloves. When you butcher something you are gonna get covered in blood. So you also wear an apron. Maybe blood soak clothes. You or others could bleed on them and get you ‘wet’ even.

[quote=“fishy1234555, post:14, topic:6134”]Then you could track a cougar trail back to a den and slay like 13 mountain lions with a glass shiv, victoriously exiting with a new cougar hide cloak adorning your body.

Also, this ties in entirely. Since medical gloves are pathetic for anything we could make a blood stained hands effect (which decreases your innocent killing penalty?) that is preventable by waterproof gloves. When you butcher something you are gonna get covered in blood. So you also wear an apron. Maybe blood soak clothes. You or others could bleed on them and get you ‘wet’ even.[/quote]

With that state you could leave a really strong (Tough animal-like) scent… Cool. If you take the gloves off, you could stop stinking. Cool.

I am going to bump this thread as maybe now there is a possiblity that some thing like this can be done with all the new fixes and what not?.

I’m going to say this here because I feel it fits in with the theme. Hopefully no one feels I’m derailing… Lots of animals seem to sense you from beyond even longbow range. I try to move close enough to an animal where I could shoot it with a bow and it detects me and run off way before I can even target it at all.

Pretty sure they can see farther than the bow can shoot, and there’s no camo/concealment (as distinct from cover) implemented in DDA.

Well as I said IRL you dont really walk around you set up a hide and wait.

Maybe we could get some kind of hide tent that makes you invisable or some thing?.

But this still dont help that no animals will spawn inside reality bubble if there was none there before so you could sit there for ever and never see one?.

The basic solutions should be dropping food (corn, buckwheat, potatoes) in the forest so that the animals were tempted to come within a few hours (the frequent method for hunting birds and herbivorous animals), if we do for a longer time, such as several days, game will appear more often in the region of bait for about 1.5 weeks. Should also pay attention to the chance appearance of animals depending on the terrain. Deer and wild hogs is easiest found on farmland and forests where there is a sizable shrub and forest floor layer, birds in the marsh etc.

Lure and the ability to imitate the sound of animals will attract animals in the vicinity the player and with the appropriate skills to determine the distance from the howls of animals corresponding to your lure.