How to use UPS tool mod?

Ok, I’ve read through many threads and sources (many of which are outdated because of the constant changes). What I gather is supposed to happen is this:

-Install UPS compatible charger into a vehicle
-Install in a tool (in my case dehydrator) a ups tool mod
-put a small rechargeable battery into the tool with tool mod
-Activate the charger through the vehicle
-Drop the tool with mod into the charger storage area, or drop a UPS into the charger area, and either will chart

I’ve done this, and I can charge the UPS this way. However the tool itself will never charge, it just says dehydrator+(0). I’ve read if you hold the charged UPS and the tool with tool mod it will use the UPS charge to use the item. I’ve found this to be false. Is there another step, or something I’m not doing right? I’m using an experimental that was new 2-3 weeks ago.

I’ve used UPS modified tools two ways:

• With the UPS CBM installed and active on my character
  • With the UPS Charging station installed in my vehicle, power available in the vehicle and the station enabled from the car controls. I also put the tool in the storage location in the Charging Station.

I think you might have forgotten to enable the station from the car controlls.

I know for sure the station was enabled, I’ve tried it a whole bunch of ways. And the UPS will charge. Just not the tool, and the tool refuses to pull anything from the UPS with both in inventory.

[quote=“Cloudless, post:1, topic:13618”]Ok, I’ve read through many threads and sources (many of which are outdated because of the constant changes). What I gather is supposed to happen is this:

-Install UPS compatible charger into a vehicle
-Install in a tool (in my case dehydrator) a ups tool mod
-put a small rechargeable battery into the tool with tool mod
-Activate the charger through the vehicle
-Drop the tool with mod into the charger storage area, or drop a UPS into the charger area, and either will chart

I’ve done this, and I can charge the UPS this way. However the tool itself will never charge, it just says dehydrator+(0). I’ve read if you hold the charged UPS and the tool with tool mod it will use the UPS charge to use the item. I’ve found this to be false. Is there another step, or something I’m not doing right? I’m using an experimental that was new 2-3 weeks ago.[/quote]

I actually don’t recognize the ‘put a small rechargeable battery into the tool’ step - the UPS tool mod requires a small battery in the recipe, I’d always assumed that the battery was included, and I’ve had my tools charge that way. Have you tried removing the rechargeable battery and seeing if that works?

Can you try again with version 6393? That is the one I’m currently on and it works.

You mention “both in inventory”. Are the UPS and dehydrator with the mod both in your physical Inventory, or in the vehicle? Have you tried dropping the tool onto the charger so that it is in the storage of the charger?

Rysith, after I put the mod on the tool, I could use the “reload” function to put a single small storage battery in it, it uses the magazine system it seems. I have tried with and without this battery.

I have tried charging the tool in the car (in the same storage as the car charger, activated), and in inventory, both with and without the UPS present. The UPS charges, the tool does not.

I can try to check out v6393. Can I transfer my save to a newer version or will that break everything?

I use the CCDA Game Launcher and I update every time there is a new version. I’ve only been playing for a few weeks, but I’ve been able to use my saved game after every upgrade.

Something doesn’t sound right. After installing the UPS tool mod, I can’t add a battery to that tool. I wonder if there is a bug in the version your saved game was created in.

Can you create a test world/character and use the cheats/debugs to spawn the charger, mod and a tool and see if that works properly?

Ok, I made a test game with the newest version (6393). I created the items needed and applied the ups mod to a dehydrator. It says “food dehydrator+ (UPS) (0)”. And it works with the charger. On my old save it says “food dehydrator+ (0)” after applying it. So there is something different. Moving my previous saved game to the new game folder and opening it through that, and recrafting seems to fix it. So I guess it was a version bug?

There are two different battery mods you might be mistaking for each other.
The UPS conversion mod which charges with either the internal cbm, the vehicle ups station or active ups in your inventory.
Or the battery compartment mod which you install rechargeable vehicle batteries like a magazine.
I mixed them up when I first tried installing mods into my tools to make them rechargeable too.

No in this case it was definitely a bug in the version, somehow.