How to PROPERLY set up a Cataclysm:DDA server using codehero's Dgamelaunch

Many people have asked me “how did you set up a server” or “Make a tutorial”, So i’m going to do just that!

[size=24pt]What your going to need:[/size]

Linux (This tutorial will assume your using Ubuntu)
Administrator access to both your machine and your router.
Patience
Git
A Cloned version of Cataclysm DDA ready to be compiled

if you have those, We can get started.

First clone the Dgamelaunch

then we grab the dependacies

sudo apt-get install byacc sudo apt-get install libsqlite3 sudo apt-get install libsqlite3-dev sudo apt-get install flex sudo apt-get install bison sudo apt-get install autogen sudo apt-get install autoconf sudo apt-get install automake sudo apt-get install openssh-server

now we go to the Cataclysm-DDA/tools file and run the setupDgamelaunch.sh

let it compile and do its thing, it should prompt you to input 3 things, The Absolute path to the Cataclysm Binary (Ie the cataclysm file) the Absolute path to the whole Catacylsm directory (ie /home//Cataclysm-DDA/) and the name of your server (This will show up as banner text)

Once you enter this info, it should continue a bit more and then allow you to input again.

Now, Were going to need to create a new administration user (it needs to be able to chroot)

Once you create it, create an SH script anywhere in the new users home file

to properly do this, you will need to ether do it through terminal whilst root (I.E use sudo -s)
or through running GUI as root (The default command for this is sudo nautilus

Inside the file, Enter the following

#!/bin/bash/ clear cd /opt/dgamelaunch/cdda sudo ./dgamelaunch
Once your done that, your going to need to set the file as the new users shell by running

to make sure it works:

If you’ve already set a new port for SSH in /etc/ssh/sshd_config then add a -p to the end

if your greeted with the DGL login screen then Huzza, you got it :smiley: if not, recheck your steps.

If you need to restart from the beginning, delete the dgamelaunch folder and the dgamelaunch folder in /opt/
otherwise, Go into your routers configuration and setup the ports that sshd is running on and boom, you should be good.

I was one of them that asked for a tutorial :slight_smile: I assumed u used win7 so I’m a bit gutted
Because I don’t use linex :(.

Thanks though

[quote=“stk2008, post:2, topic:6852”]I was one of them that asked for a tutorial :slight_smile: I assumed u used win7 so I’m a bit gutted
Because I don’t use linex :(.

Thanks though[/quote]
Well, There is a possible way of doing it on win7, though, you would have to use a Virtual machine. And frankly, i’m not too sure how to pull it off on the networking side.
But if you can figure it out, all the power to ya (Oh and codehero is actually working on a clone, He might be able to add in Windows support.
It’s unlikely that the Normal DGL used will work on windows because it uses a special linux package called TTY, which, i think, is how it interfaces with the game)

There are TTY emulators for windows, though I’m unsure of whether or not they will work and if so, what else will be required of them.

this is a shame :frowning:

i thought about running it via virtual machine but tbh i think it would cause to many issues :frowning:

you know what this seems like a realy neat tutorial on how to install a virtual machine running linex

There are TTY emulators for windows, though I’m unsure of whether or not they will work and if so, what else will be required of them.[/quote]

Dgamelaunch requires the TTY files for the sending of the screen for the game, without it you would see nothing, at least that’s what I understand of it

[quote=“stk2008, post:6, topic:6852”]you know what this seems like a realy neat tutorial on how to install a virtual machine running linex

If you do this, use an older version of Ubuntu.

A few months ago I had to install it, and the newest (at the time) version would install and then say one of many possible errors (all nonsensical).

[quote=“Daidalon, post:8, topic:6852”][quote=“stk2008, post:6, topic:6852”]you know what this seems like a realy neat tutorial on how to install a virtual machine running linex

If you do this, use an older version of Ubuntu.

A few months ago I had to install it, and the newest (at the time) version would install and then say one of many possible errors (all nonsensical).[/quote]

For VM’s i recommend Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, aka Precise Pangolian, Which is what I’m running right now.