How do you fortify your base

Walls work.

I close the curtains.

Cue newbs saying “There are curtains??!!”

I remember it took me like a month to figure out curtains existed.

It also took me a little more to realize that wardrobes and fridges had things in them (mind you this was before they glowed blue when you were adjacent) when I first found that out I was all like WOW all this sweet loot everywhere!

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:24, topic:5713”]I remember it took me like a month to figure out curtains existed.

It also took me a little more to realize that wardrobes and fridges had things in them (mind you this was before they glowed blue when you were adjacent) when I first found that out I was all like WOW all this sweet loot everywhere![/quote]And now they only glow blue when you’re next to them.

And now they only glow blue when you’re next to them. [/quote]

Adjacent=close to.

And now they only glow blue when you’re next to them. [/quote]

Adjacent=close to.[/quote]Oops! Yeah sorry I was think back to 0.9 Stable where items on top of items didn’t show up at all so you had to walk over an object to see the item on it. Then I had a brain fart and didn’t know what the fuck I was talking about.

rofl

Exactly what I thought :smiley:

Base buiilding is not really necessary at this point imo since it is far more advantagous to just rig a RV together and hit the road. Maybe when we can set up shelters and gather other survivors (maybe thats too far in the future, but a man can dream can’t he?) base building will have a purpose. Until then, to the deathmobile!

That said, turrets should be protected by walls of some sort as Zombears like to crush them like coke cans. Also I think noise emitters have great potential for creating choke points I was able to clear out a megastore by using one on an adjacent house, then burning it to the ground (sadly the fire spread to the megamart, rendering the arson useless :frowning: ).

Also, gasoline soaked wood fences can be useful as well just be careful it doesn’t spread too quickly. Anyone try gasoline soaked chain fences?

Finally we need swinging blade traps (as giant axe blades) and remotely activated mines.

We do.

Spike pits work just fine though you do need walls because you want a roof over them. Just make sure to butcher / bash a corpse that’s in the pit or it will rise and climb right out.

Also, don’t forget your bestest friend in the universe…
Bear traps.
SO MANY OF THEM
FLOOD THE WORLD WITH THEM
AGHGHGHGH MY LEGS
Just have insanely high dex and dodge.
Or just drive everywhere in your SHOPPING CHOPPER WITH m249s on the back for no reason.
Seriously, Beartraps are just as affective as wrap, because it makes noise and injures them, only thing more OP then them is the damned beertraps.
Those I keep getting stuck in because im a dwarf trogoblite.

I’m currently living in a cathedral, so, not much need for fortification… converting most of the benches to bookshelves though. Sorta wish I could build actual beds, tables, chairs, sofas, ect.

I’m actually pretty disappointed that I don’t seem to be able to read inside there, one would think the stained glass would let enough light in for that.

You can with a wood saw, 2x4s, nails, a hammer and the construction skill.

This. But I am less “hardcore” and I simply put some bear traps/mines in the entrance :3

Same with the Garage, with that building you station your bedroom behind a metal door, can expand the building to surrounding buildings unless they are across the road, AND you only need to fortify two places, and this is optional. as a side note, if you could hook up your PDA to doors and music sytems and shit so you can open your metal door with a horde behind you and use your phone to save the day like its Watchdogs or something.

your’s if going to be the life of a man set of fire for the rest of his life when you start talking flamethrowers near your base lol.

and hey i wasn’t talking choke-points, just blinders. for example,

[tt]
|______|
| |
| |
[/tt]

this is supposed to be the top of my shelter showing the wings i added to the sides and up. the spawns used to come from the lower left a lot and this visual block has pretty much made them stop. i can get some dogs quick if i go out the left but there have been days when i didnt see a single bear. i made this with walls then. you could do even better than this with a draggable wood thingie that’s L-shaped and covers where you see the spawns come from. i’m not sure why this worked but it did. results/feedback welcome. i’ll try it again in my next game too![/quote]
Brilliant! Also, see Fishing weir - Wikipedia
The same principle should apply to zombies.

If burnable items fall into a lava pit can they increase fire intensity to the spreading point?
I ask, because my current Grocery Store/Fortress of Solitude has a lava moat running through it. Eventually, should I mess up, triffids, slimes, or zombies will also be running through it. I’d really hate their inflammability to torch things.

Oh, and for the topic question. My apparent favorite fortification is a lava moat.