How do you fortify your base

I usually try to find a library to fortify. Because there are a lot of bookshelves to break and use the 2 by fours to board up windows. Also can use splintered sticks for spiked pit traps. Whenever i loot a house i leave EVERYTHING in the house in the doorway of the house except for tools and food. I also put down planks and other things that burn between houses and other buildings just in case I run into more zombies than i can handle so i run past the planks and light them on fire. I also set up landmines and I surround my library with cars to make it harder for the zombies to get to it. So yeah, share your awesome apocalypse survival bases.( sorry i couldn’t take a screenshot of my base).

I usually set up base in Garages or Fire Stations. The later are really safe since even the door for personnel are made of metal and work with a switch like the garage doors. I don’t fortify them much, I just build solar powered search lights around my base to spot those annoying wandering zombears and zombie dogs at night.

Fortified LMOE shelter (basically a machine yard in front and turrets clearing entrance area from anything).

I was going to have them (turrets) in threes 2x SMG 1x Laser, but since they have to have roof covering to protect from acid rain I went with SMGs alone. Which kind of makes laser turrets useless, and potentially dangerous with hordes enabled (they blow up real LOUD).

You’d be well advised to wall up any windows instead of just boarding them up, given a chance. Zombears can smell you through boarded up windows if you loiter near them. I learned this the hard way.

Thinking of cheap and fastish defences, Is barbed wire any good?
or should i use a ring of spiked pit traps?

You see i’m thinking of building my first proper base out of town and will need to keep the Zbears out.

2 thick spike spits. I had a ring of 1 thick spike pits, next moment zombear smells my shit and runs through it, got him to moderatley injured form the pit though.

Nailboard traps and caltrops are good, since they never break. (Speaking of which, I need to make a suggestion that they should have a chance of getting stuck to their victims.)

I just had a cunning plan. I’m not sure if it’s viable… but…

What if you were to build vehicles around your entire base building? i.e Long chains of frames with armoured boards. You might need more than one chain.

Anyway, have the ends meet up inside your building and converge on a single spot, at which you have a vehicle mounted welder linked up to some solar panels outside.

Whenever enemies beat up your walls, you just activate the welder and repair all the “vehicles” which would have at least one frame next to the welder. Instant defence repair around your whole base. No need to go around putting up wooden walls.

Three problems:

1. The plan is very labor intensive - you’ll need tons of frames. And if you plan fortifications, then heavy duty boards (ie steel plating) should also be used. That’s a lot of cars you’d have to scrap.
  2. You can’t park your vehicle inside such an enclosure. No vehicle can drive or be dragged over another vehicle, even if you place isles or whatnot.
  3. You’d want to add some turrets to that combination, otherwise your gameplay will boil down to just welding all the time.

Naturally, but the turrets can be part of the defence wall and have one central command console (per wall) which would be nice.

Well the vehicle won’t drive. It will just be a ring with some batteries and a welder to fix shit.

My massive vehicle base dreadnought thing is going to be protected by log walls around it, and some traps or pits around that. There will also be some NX-17 Charge rifles mounted around the corners to fire at stragglers, but I’m not sure how vehicle turrets actually work.

All that might not actually be necessary. Since my dreadnought is basically a house in terms of size, I can retreat far enough into it that zombies and other beasties won’t be able to track me down through scent or hearing.

NX-17 + log walls = great potential for FUN!

Leave a U-shaped gap in your vehicle fortress to park your death mobile and close up the end with a palisade gate.

barbed wire is a bear to move/install.

straight wooden frames with wooden panels on them placed so that you block line-of sight to where you see the zanimals come from the most can really cut down the numbers as they seem to rely mostly on vision. its cheaper than walls plus you can drag/drive these things around.

skewers for self-defense. zombears and zolves are afraid of fire, so you could prepare the ground and dance around a fire throwing stuff at them. dogs not so much. but they do burn too. just wear something tanky around the house and meeat them over a nice hot fire.

:slight_smile:

just thought i’d give this another go

After a while living inside a fire station I could safely say this building doesn’t even need fortifying. :3

[quote=“Chiko, post:15, topic:5713”]After a while living inside a fire station I could safely say this building doesn’t even need fortifying. :3[/quote]Until a hulk comes along and fucks your shit up.

xD

I guess that would be expected when wandering hordes get added into the game.

barbed wire is a bear to move/install.

straight wooden frames with wooden panels on them placed so that you block line-of sight to where you see the zanimals come from the most can really cut down the numbers as they seem to rely mostly on vision. its cheaper than walls plus you can drag/drive these things around.

skewers for self-defense. zombears and zolves are afraid of fire, so you could prepare the ground and dance around a fire throwing stuff at them. dogs not so much. but they do burn too. just wear something tanky around the house and meeat them over a nice hot fire.

:slight_smile:

just thought i’d give this another go[/quote]

Hmm, maybe some attached flamethrowers on frames would do well for base defense? They require the non-craftable flamethrowers as far as I can tell though. Still, if you make a choke point, it could work I suppose.

Do choke points even work against zombies in the current stage of the game? I thought they just smash whatever is between you and them.

your’s if going to be the life of a man set of fire for the rest of his life when you start talking flamethrowers near your base lol.

and hey i wasn’t talking choke-points, just blinders. for example,

[tt]
|______|
| |
| |
[/tt]

this is supposed to be the top of my shelter showing the wings i added to the sides and up. the spawns used to come from the lower left a lot and this visual block has pretty much made them stop. i can get some dogs quick if i go out the left but there have been days when i didnt see a single bear. i made this with walls then. you could do even better than this with a draggable wood thingie that’s L-shaped and covers where you see the spawns come from. i’m not sure why this worked but it did. results/feedback welcome. i’ll try it again in my next game too!