How do I mycus? (spoilers)

Actually mycus stims, so if anything would be killing him there would be a heart attack or something. The issue he’s having is from eating marloss-based food, not mycus food, the -10 health on the marloss food is causing them to die of a health deficiency.

Nah, complaint was mycus fruits, so Blaze is right.

Mycus carries both pkill and stim for dependent folks, and you CAN die from overflow of either. (You can’t die of health-underrun: you just get way more likely to get colds/the flu instead, and those can kill from fluid deficiency.)

Bah, ninja’d.

Anywho, the threshold for dying from painkillers is a fair bit lower than dying from stimulants; so you’re more likely to die from the depressant effect.

The mycus probably shouldn’t be killing its local guide, so that might need to be looked at. Also I think it’d be neat to have more mutually exclusive mycus mutations like the spore sacs and the blossoms to keep things fresh, like maybe one that makes your unarmed attacks inject live spores into things or some alternate forms of physiological modification so people aren’t always just getting fireproof and slow, since that’s not always ideal. The “endgame” mycus mutations seem like they’ll be nice but building sideways also lets you have a lot more variance on your way up to them.

Or just don’t eat them for mutations. They’re your food supply!

Or just don’t eat them for mutations. They’re your food supply![/quote]

You are aware that eating a mycus fruit spreads a bunch of fungus and more mycus bushes around you? Right?

[quote=“KA101, post:51, topic:7534”][quote=“Crashdandicoot, post:50, topic:7534”]I’ve been playing around with the mycus for a while now and I have a few questions. I know it’s WIP at the moment but are there going to be some more mutations in the future? Cause frankly it seems like there is very little gameplay motivation to go down that route. As an entirely post threshold category, which requires a fair amount of effort and purification to get there and locks out any further goo based mutation, I would have thought it would have a bit more to offer than the other thresholds. But currently there is far less, not to mention the abilities which currently exist are a pretty mixed bag at best.

Mycus fireproofing for instance says it greatly boosts defence, fire resistance and wet effects but with a hefty speed penalty (and it is one hell of a penalty, i had road runner and quick on the character but after getting fireproofing my base speed was 89). I can’t say I noticed very much of an improvement regarding defence at least, i still get almost get one shotted by turrets at medium range. I really love the concept and i was excited to see this recent update but it seems like there are some balance issues at the moment. Oh and a side note, using mycus bloom anywhere near a forest is a terrible idea, as much as i want to spread the fungus it is an absolute framerate killer when you have dozens of trees pumping out loads of spores simultaneously, makes it pretty much unplayable near forests. Anyway, just thought i’d mention this seeing as its still in experimental.[/quote]

Fireproofing comes from the Spire/Tower units. The ones which are large and sessile. I can think about reducing the penalty, but being made of stone has some disadvantages.

Sorry to hear about your framerate in the forest. That’s intended to be an impressive spread, though.

Tendrils can be made to happen, sure. Likewise the Defender adrenaline-rush may be expanded to include the blob as well.

I’ve considered making a mutation to cover up most of the obvious fungal things and give options to “interact” with NPCs. Not sure if Mycus Ambassador would be well-received. (That, and factions would need some work. Growing marloss fruits and supplying/pushing a faction into spreading the fungus would probably be Popular in some circles, but we’d need offscreen faction activity.)

Mycus Gardener has some issues, the biggest one IMO being whether to create a success condition. (You sufficiently establish the fungus throughout New England, making its global spread more or less inevitable. Would not end the game, but would be a significant moment.) Targeting ranged-mutations has been a problem, but I think I can tinker with recipe and agriculture handling to let folks build.[/quote]
I understand the nature of the speed penalty sure and that’s fair but it just felt like the corresponding defence bonus was pretty minimal is all. As for the idea of making an ambassador type mutation that’s pretty cool actually, especially if you can eventually convince NPCs to accept the mycus and join up with you.

Also i’m not sure what you mean by Mycus Gardener, what would such a mutation involve? Or was this a recently added one and should i get the latest build or something?

That’s only for the initial mycus fruit actually, all subsequent fruits just give you nutrition, mutations etc. You have to make your own fruits by converting forests and stuff.

[quote=“Crashdandicoot, post:67, topic:7534”]
I understand the nature of the speed penalty sure and that’s fair but it just felt like the corresponding defence bonus was pretty minimal is all. As for the idea of making an ambassador type mutation that’s pretty cool actually, especially if you can eventually convince NPCs to accept the mycus and join up with you.

Also i’m not sure what you mean by Mycus Gardener, what would such a mutation involve? Or was this a recently added one and should i get the latest build or something?

That’s only for the initial mycus fruit actually, all subsequent fruits just give you nutrition, mutations etc. You have to make your own fruits by converting forests and stuff.[/quote]

Ambassador would work through a combination of speech/barter, growing marloss fruit on xyr person and distributing it, and possibly more direct methods.

Gardener would be able to manually deploy fungal units such as tendrils, blossoms, etc, and have recipes to seed towers/giant blossoms/spires. Build properly to please the Mycus (and thereby yourself–I need to work up a morale mechanic for that) and eventually get portals open to bring more of it through. And develop larger blossom spires capable of seeding the region (localized weather: spore rain, once we get localized weather) and eventually insert into the upper atmosphere and jet-stream the haze worldwide.

I added a localized marlossify to the apples in latest because folks kept treating 'em like funberries. I’m thinking I’ll make mutating Mycus stuff a rare chance when sleeping or something along that line, and remove the mutation & marlossify effects altogether.

[quote=“KA101, post:68, topic:7534”]Ambassador would work through a combination of speech/barter, growing marloss fruit on xyr person and distributing it, and possibly more direct methods.

Gardener would be able to manually deploy fungal units such as tendrils, blossoms, etc, and have recipes to seed towers/giant blossoms/spires. Build properly to please the Mycus (and thereby yourself–I need to work up a morale mechanic for that) and eventually get portals open to bring more of it through. And develop larger blossom spires capable of seeding the region (localized weather: spore rain, once we get localized weather) and eventually insert into the upper atmosphere and jet-stream the haze worldwide.

I added a localized marlossify to the apples in latest because folks kept treating 'em like funberries. I’m thinking I’ll make mutating Mycus stuff a rare chance when sleeping or something along that line, and remove the mutation & marlossify effects altogether.[/quote]
All of that sound pretty good to me, especially that last bit. Time to update to the latest experimental!

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:69, topic:7534”][quote=“KA101, post:68, topic:7534”]Ambassador would work through a combination of speech/barter, growing marloss fruit on xyr person and distributing it, and possibly more direct methods.

I added a localized marlossify to the apples in latest because folks kept treating 'em like funberries. I’m thinking I’ll make mutating Mycus stuff a rare chance when sleeping or something along that line, and remove the mutation & marlossify effects altogether.[/quote]
All of that sound pretty good to me, especially that last bit. Time to update to the latest experimental![/quote]

Not yet. KA101 has several other things he does, including shock horror non-DDA things too, and has not actually coded any of that yet. The last bit might go in his current mutation PR. Others will take some doing.

i got feeder and i’m thirsty but i can’t drink water shit better eat some mycus fruits

We do not risk taking that contaminant–however small the dose–into ourselves. The humans risked it, and are now mere puppets. Our fruit is safe and effective.

People are probably wolfing the fruits down once they get the controlled spore production, anyway, though, since it’s so metabolically taxing, and really, what grey-fungused local guide wouldn’t be spreading beautiful spores at every opportunity?

I’m sorry guys, I’ll never doubt Mother Mycus again. Plus I got Mycus Identity so things are going along well.

Is taking down a blossom beneficial for me at this point? I figure between playing my role and the fact that I have plenty of mycus fruits, no.

I’m sorry guys, I’ll never doubt Mother Mycus again. Plus I got Mycus Identity so things are going along well.

Is taking down a blossom beneficial for me at this point? I figure between playing my role and the fact that I have plenty of mycus fruits, no.[/quote]

Not unless it’s killing your framerate. The seeds from marloss flowers can be planted effectively now that you’re a Mycus, though.

What does planting them do?

Churn up some dirt and see!

A nice way to lessen framerate issues would be having the more common mycus beings of similar purpose glom together when there’s enough of them around, smaller spore clouds mesh into larger spore clouds that have a higher chance of succeeding at what they do, and the same deal with fungaloids, which would in themselves come together into larger fungaloid “evolutions” which would spew out larger, more potent spore clouds that would do the job of many beings with less, which would probably help out a lot.

I like it. We’ve similar code for blobs.

I’m not so sure about the normal fungaloids merging (I always personally pictured them as vast fields of whitecapped mushrooms), but I could definitely see spore clouds merging.