How do I mycus? (spoilers)

Marloss berries are inedible once you mutate Mycus Feeder, and most Mycus mutations require feeder to get so…

Marloss berries are inedible once you mutate Mycus Feeder, and most Mycus mutations require feeder to get so…[/quote]

Guess you’ll have to just live with them apples.

Haha, sorry guys i found the problem mycus was not in the branch i was playing lol, The one thing i find strange about mycus is since i am a mycus feeder i must find a way to continue getting the fruit but it seems eating the fruit does not reproduce trees.

Alright, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why exactly would anyone want to take the Mycus mutation? What are the benefits? What are the downsides? Does my appearance end up changing to look like a fungal freak of nature? If I became one with the Mycus would the Fungal enemies stop attacking me? Can you get rid of the Mycus mutations like any other mutations? Can you have Mycus and other kinds of mutations or only Mycus? So many questions, any other additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Mycus is still a WIP, and seeing that taking Mycus essentially means that you give up all other mutations; I don’t really see it as worthwhile yet.

Mycus fruit acts as a purifier which cleans out goo mutations.
It’s possible to be rid of Mycus mutations by using serum; higher level mycus mutations inhibit mutagens. However, there’s a chance that you’ll get mutagen rejection; meaning no more serum forever.

1. I personally took it because my character’s name is Marloss Man Reborn.
  2. The benefits are being tough, fireproof, and you can make spores.
  3. The downsides are that you can only eat fungus.
  4. I think you just look like a mushroom man, so yes.
  5. No clue
  6. No clue, but purifier and mutagen have more negative effects post-threshold. The Mycus yells about the blob being bad and such.
  7. You can have other kinds of mutations, but due to the purifying effects of Marloss items, you tend to end up with a lot fewer than you started with.

Some folks really really like getting fungal. Others treat Marloss like it’s a joke. Others may well want to fungalize the world.

Enhanced resilience, fireproofing, spore-handling, and Friendly to fungal critters once they recognize you (they may have to use their special on you once). Never have to worry about complex food-handling systems. You grow spore-producing organs and grow turgid when confronting triffids. You’re immune to fungal infection, and if you had one it will auto-purge.

Slower movement, you look fungal, you might release spores/haze when you don’t want to, and good luck eating something that isn’t a mycus fruit.

Yeah, your spore sacs or blossoms will be visible.

As I said, yeah, fungal folks will ease up on you. (If they don’t, I’ll fix that.)

No. You can close the Gateway with proper tools (Blaze likes to code-dive, apparently) but Mycus is permanent absent the debug menu. Pre-existing traits may persist into your Mycus form but after that, yeah, no more. Most mutations are from the Blob–and the Mycus is a competitor back home in the Nether.

Well thank you all for the replies, I must say it’s nice to have the option to turn fungal, but I think I’ll stick with being part Mr Blobby for now, I like the flexibility of my mutations. That, and I’d rather not look like a walking mushroom. (No offence Flame. :p)

Now, I have a flamethrower and a fungal bloom/tower nearby with its name on it, wish me luck. <3

So will we get enemy Mycus people to murder now?

I’ve been playing around with the mycus for a while now and I have a few questions. I know it’s WIP at the moment but are there going to be some more mutations in the future? Cause frankly it seems like there is very little gameplay motivation to go down that route. As an entirely post threshold category, which requires a fair amount of effort and purification to get there and locks out any further goo based mutation, I would have thought it would have a bit more to offer than the other thresholds. But currently there is far less, not to mention the abilities which currently exist are a pretty mixed bag at best.

Mycus fireproofing for instance says it greatly boosts defence, fire resistance and wet effects but with a hefty speed penalty (and it is one hell of a penalty, i had road runner and quick on the character but after getting fireproofing my base speed was 89). I can’t say I noticed very much of an improvement regarding defence at least, i still get almost get one shotted by turrets at medium range. I really love the concept and i was excited to see this recent update but it seems like there are some balance issues at the moment. Oh and a side note, using mycus bloom anywhere near a forest is a terrible idea, as much as i want to spread the fungus it is an absolute framerate killer when you have dozens of trees pumping out loads of spores simultaneously, makes it pretty much unplayable near forests. Anyway, just thought i’d mention this seeing as its still in experimental.

[quote=“Crashdandicoot, post:50, topic:7534”]I’ve been playing around with the mycus for a while now and I have a few questions. I know it’s WIP at the moment but are there going to be some more mutations in the future? Cause frankly it seems like there is very little gameplay motivation to go down that route. As an entirely post threshold category, which requires a fair amount of effort and purification to get there and locks out any further goo based mutation, I would have thought it would have a bit more to offer than the other thresholds. But currently there is far less, not to mention the abilities which currently exist are a pretty mixed bag at best.

Mycus fireproofing for instance says it greatly boosts defence, fire resistance and wet effects but with a hefty speed penalty (and it is one hell of a penalty, i had road runner and quick on the character but after getting fireproofing my base speed was 89). I can’t say I noticed very much of an improvement regarding defence at least, i still get almost get one shotted by turrets at medium range. I really love the concept and i was excited to see this recent update but it seems like there are some balance issues at the moment. Oh and a side note, using mycus bloom anywhere near a forest is a terrible idea, as much as i want to spread the fungus it is an absolute framerate killer when you have dozens of trees pumping out loads of spores simultaneously, makes it pretty much unplayable near forests. Anyway, just thought i’d mention this seeing as its still in experimental.[/quote]

Fireproofing comes from the Spire/Tower units. The ones which are large and sessile. I can think about reducing the penalty, but being made of stone has some disadvantages.

Sorry to hear about your framerate in the forest. That’s intended to be an impressive spread, though.

Tendrils can be made to happen, sure. Likewise the Defender adrenaline-rush may be expanded to include the blob as well.

I’ve considered making a mutation to cover up most of the obvious fungal things and give options to “interact” with NPCs. Not sure if Mycus Ambassador would be well-received. (That, and factions would need some work. Growing marloss fruits and supplying/pushing a faction into spreading the fungus would probably be Popular in some circles, but we’d need offscreen faction activity.)

Mycus Gardener has some issues, the biggest one IMO being whether to create a success condition. (You sufficiently establish the fungus throughout New England, making its global spread more or less inevitable. Would not end the game, but would be a significant moment.) Targeting ranged-mutations has been a problem, but I think I can tinker with recipe and agriculture handling to let folks build.

My own experience with the mycus stuff has been pretty positive, but one of my main concerns is the fact with the mycus involved, nearly all the terrain and life is fairly homogenous and grey, which is good for when it needs to stand out (When it is an enemy and typically you need to destroy it), but when you’re one with the mycus, you end up with these massive, hard on the eyes swaths of grey terrain, which seems odd, especially when all the marloss stuff is unusually colored and vibrant.

Is there anything that would prevent the mycus spread from being more… colorful? The blossoms and other such things are a nice step in that direction, but maybe post-threshold mycus would see the stuff they’re spreading in a much more colorful, “beautiful” way, which would result in fungal clusters all bursting with color, etc. Aesthetic changes brought on by the modified neurology demonstrated to the player through the medium of chromatic saturation. Really anything to make this surreal, fungal landscape less… samey would be nice, though I may be missing the entire point of the incursion to begin with.

[quote=“Zaylin, post:52, topic:7534”]My own experience with the mycus stuff has been pretty positive, but one of my main concerns is the fact with the mycus involved, nearly all the terrain and life is fairly homogenous and grey, which is good for when it needs to stand out (When it is an enemy and typically you need to destroy it), but when you’re one with the mycus, you end up with these massive, hard on the eyes swaths of grey terrain, which seems odd, especially when all the marloss stuff is unusually colored and vibrant.

Is there anything that would prevent the mycus spread from being more… colorful? The blossoms and other such things are a nice step in that direction, but maybe post-threshold mycus would see the stuff they’re spreading in a much more colorful, “beautiful” way, which would result in fungal clusters all bursting with color, etc. Aesthetic changes brought on by the modified neurology demonstrated to the player through the medium of chromatic saturation. Really anything to make this surreal, fungal landscape less… samey would be nice, though I may be missing the entire point of the incursion to begin with.[/quote]

Thats actually a really good point.

Fungal Landscapes are good and all, but maybe making the fungus occasionally different colors would be nice. Perhaps to help improve the aesthetic changes, maybe we could have fungal terrain be seperated into 2 different tiles for typical flat terrain:

1. Fungal Bed, basically just your run of the mill, grey ground, like what we already have
  2. Fungal Mold, Essentially just the fungus equivalent to grass. Perhaps make this a bright or Dark Cyan? It’d add more color to the fungus.

We already have fungal clumps, which are essentially just bushes. Perhaps we could make it so that trees bearing Mycus Fruit are a yellow, and perhaps change the color to the mycal fruit to yellow as well. It’d give the mycus hellscape a bit more flavor.

These probably wouldn’t be that hard to alter, so long as there is no special trait associated with it. You just have to mildly diddle with the terrain code so that the color is of those settings, and you should be good.

These likely wouldn’t see much color scheme changes, since the “grey” being used in this context represent the mixture of the berry’s red, the seed’s blue, and the gelatin’s yellow, which makes, well, grey.

Edit: Honestly though I’m a bit curious as to if KA101 already had plans for this, since the Mycus thing has already shown to be a rather nice content addition, even in its unfinished state, so they (xe?) might have their (xyr?) own ideas for how to make things more “diverse”, as it were.

These likely wouldn’t see much color scheme changes, since the “grey” being used in this context represent the mixture of the berry’s red, the seed’s blue, and the gelatin’s yellow, which makes, well, grey.

Edit: Honestly though I’m a bit curious as to if KA101 already had plans for this, since the Mycus thing has already shown to be a rather nice content addition, even in its unfinished state, so they (xe?) might have their (xyr?) own ideas for how to make things more “diverse”, as it were.[/quote]

Singular and male pronouns. Thanks for checking though. :slight_smile:

I hadn’t made plans to color-up the terrain, but that’s a good point. The difficulty is ironic: C++ code (where most all mutations effects happen) can have a tough time affecting stuff read in from JSON, such as terrain colors. I’d be perfectly willing to have THRESH_MYCUS or a hypothetical M_PERSPECTIVE change the color scheme, but that would mean rather a lot of lines of code for potentially zero effect. So JSON, which makes creating new terrains easy, makes having traits affect their appearance much tougher.

I’ll see what I can do. Thanks for the idea.

Ok, so i just murdere a spire, no gelatin. What gives?

Spire != Tower.

Spires have marloss bushes around, that when picked give berries; towers contain a special fluid that, when exposed to air, may set up into gelatin.

KA101 is surprised that everyone apparently saves the blossoms for last

Ah.

Is there a reason why the massive towers only drop 1 geleton on death?
Any why the hell does eating to many Mycus Fruits kill me

As someone who code dives and did this stuff already, here’s a nice hint: Do the tower after the blossoms and bloom, it makes things a lot easier, and in a way, gives a much more… in-depth method of reaching the gateway, not to spoil too much.

As for the death, marloss is made for human consumption, but it’s not very good for you, so try to get some vitamins and such in too, or else your immune system’s just gonna konk out on you.

If don’t have the Mycus mutations; mycus fruits are very bad for you.

If you DO have the Mycus mutations; one of its effects is a powerful painkiller; eating too many will kill you due to depressant overdose.