Hotkeys. Hotkeys Everywhere!

[ul]Whats your favorite inventory hotkey layout? Or hotkeys for other areas? Maybe a hotkey combo you think most people miss?

I usually run around with a fairly simple hotkey layout, letting most be auto generated as they will. But I am very specific about keeping it consistent every play-through on certain items I use often. As we go I’m going to compile a “recommended” hottest hotkeys list.

Edit: also look into disabling auto hotkeys if you plan on using a layout like this.

[list]
[li]q = quiver[/li]
[li]w[/li]
[li]e[/li]
[li]r[/li][/list]
t = throwable
y
u
i
o = pry?
p = pick lock (also upper for max not searching) OR Pry
a
s = sheath/scabbard
d
f
g
h
j
k
l = ember carrier, or other quick fire.
z
x
c
v
b
n = tailoring set (sewing needle, tailor kit etc…)
m[/ul]

[ul][li]%= Picklock[/li]
[li][/li]
[li]w = soldering/welder[/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li][/ul]

As the bio prepper, I move quiver to q, scabbard to s, and canteen to W(I had switched to ‘C’ for a bit but just changed back to W), and crossbow to ‘c’.

I use the ‘%’ action menu a lot, so I added some local hotkeys to that, ‘%’ for pick lock, and ‘Y’ for pry. So if I want to pick a lock ‘%+%+arrow key’ in quick sucession. If your using the arrow keys rather than numpad, you can just keep your pinky on shift, if you use numpad/VI keys you need to release shift for the direction. I normally use the numpad for movement, but I use the arrow keys when doing those actions.

I also use the % to use my tailors kit or solderingiron/welder, ‘%+s’ or ‘%+w’ respectively. I do put welder on ‘w’ or ‘W’, solder iron on ‘Y’, tailor’s kit on ‘T’, steak knife on ‘f’. Though using the % menu a lot of times you don’t even need a hotkey on these things, but it’s good for reloading them quickly or dropping them.

I turn off automatic hotkeys of inventory items as well, since I usually end up having enough items that the keys will change depending on what I’m carrying, and will accadentally eat or do something I didn’t by hitting that key thinking it’s the item’s key I wanted to use.

I also put grab all on ‘numpad 0’, in addition to it’s default ‘,’. This way i can just pick up stacks of stuff on the ground under me by hitting ‘0+0+enter’, OR ‘e+direction+0+enter’ for items next to me.

I also put ‘numpad 0’ on move all in the advanced inventory, for when I’m not using ‘M’ to move just a stack of items.

Also instead of hitting comma+e or comma+v to examine or control vehicle systems while driving, I just hit ‘numpad 0 + e’ to examine, and ‘numpad 0 + v’ to control vehicle systems.

I’m sure there are many I forgot, and if I remember I will add them. It’s becoming a wall of text fast :).

One thing that annoys me, the damn crossbow always removes its keybinding for some reason. It seems to happen when I pull ou tmy machete from my scabbard ad wear my crossbow. The hotkey always removes itself when I do that, not sure why.

Wow, lot of ideas I hadn’t ever thought of in here. I like it!

The crossbow may be because of the difference between (active) and (off) or whatever tags are used for it, or the changeover between (weapon) and (armour/clothing) something along those lines. the changeover making it no longer recognize the item as the same one.

How well does the % action pick-locking do? Does that entirely prevent the hotkey jumping for the lockpicks? or is that due to the auto assign of hotkeys? Sounds like it may be both. I will have to look into it, it sounds like a tedium killer. Thanks!

[quote=“Litppunk, post:3, topic:13970”]Wow, lot of ideas I hadn’t ever thought of in here. I like it!

The crossbow may be because of the difference between (active) and (off) or whatever tags are used for it, or the changeover between (weapon) and (armour/clothing) something along those lines. the changeover making it no longer recognize the item as the same one.

How well does the % action pick-locking do? Does that entirely prevent the hotkey jumping for the lockpicks? or is that due to the auto assign of hotkeys? Sounds like it may be both. I will have to look into it, it sounds like a tedium killer. Thanks![/quote]

It’s usually the only way I do it. It’s also the only way to use the integrated tool set for the job(I believe), which is why I started using it. It has prying, so on crates you can just examine them and it will auto pry, but for doors you have to use the % action menu to pry with your integrated tool set, as pressing e and the direction of the door doesn’t work like popping open crates, it just tells you that it’s a closed door or whatever.

With putting the pick lock action on ‘%’ in the ‘%’ menu, it only takes seconds to pick a door even if you fail multiple times. It skips having to use the hotkey for the item completely, and I keep my picks clear of any hotkeys usually. I think it uses the best item for the job, so like if you have a lockpick kit in your inventory, you can use it the same way.

That is probably what is happening with the crossbow, I wonder if I put it on a different hotkey while I’m wearing it, if it will keep that one for when I’m wearing it, and the other for when I’m wielding it/have it in my inventory. Gonna try that now actually. I think a similar thing happens with my atomic lamps, the hotkey is there when it’s inactive, but while active it is gone. I wonder if using a different hotkey for active and one for not active would work.

might be able to get away with the same hotkey for both. long as it isn’t trying to place the item in your inventory before removing the original, which I can’t imagine that is the order it does it in such a way they would clash with each other, that would drop errors Im sure, and this game is better put together than that most of the time.

Think Hotkeys work by item id, so active/inactive should work no different than picking up/ dropping where this is concerned.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:5, topic:13970”]might be able to get away with the same hotkey for both. long as it isn’t trying to place the item in your inventory before removing the original, which I can’t imagine that is the order it does it in such a way they would clash with each other, that would drop errors Im sure, and this game is better put together than that most of the time.

Think Hotkeys work by item id, so active/inactive should work no different than picking up/ dropping where this is concerned.[/quote]

Yeah it didn’t work, It just resets to the last hotkey I used for it, or none at all depending on if I wear it or not. Not a big deal.

huh, well thanks for the heads up.

Scabbard on X
Flashlight on R

that’s literally the only two

Seems like most people put them on related first letters and such, Why X and R?

Because that’s what it went to on my most-used survivor so I got used to it.
Also, my mistake, it’s ‘r’ not ‘R’.

Also, lockpicks on M and crowbar (if not using integrated toolset) on P. So 'P’ry is relevant, I guess? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hm… Usually ‘h’ for holster, ‘g’ for gun (sidearm)… though sometimes I wonder why I even bother carrying a pistol. Chronic 'Murica Syndrome, perhaps. In PK’s Rebalance there’s a lot of random patches of nasty, concentrated 'r’adiation so I’d map that to my Geiger counter. 'f’lashlight or other illuminating item, 'j’ackhammer (I do a lot of bashing down walls rather than hacking). 't’ailoring kit, 'c’rowbar/prying tool even if it’s not a 'c’rowbar. 'm’usic is great for morale so that’s my MP3 player. Though rather embarrassing to admit, 'v’ibrators are good for a quick and compelling morale boost for when the apocalypse gets you so down (usually from rain) that you’re too depressed to do anything constructive.

So I guess what I’m saying is that I’m completely unoriginal and have nothing useful or interesting to offer here. One thing I’ve not seen mentioned yet is hotkeys for commonly used bionics or mutation abilities. Sometimes I would remap those, just not with my current character so I can’t remember what they were.

'D’espiteyour lack of 'O’riginality. I 'L’ove it. Especially everything 'M’orale related asides from the 'V’ibrator