Hordes

Hordes may track, get signals and move between overmaps. Also i fix spawn. Now IT REALLY HARCORE GAMEPLAY! Coolstory in progress…
It not debug. I got one segfault, but i can’t repeat it.

Good day to die.

Scouting

I surrounded…
Come on bastards!

I move to hangar:

They move from back:

I escaped, but not for long

Too much for me. I retreat back to home.

And fight…

They get me.

I try to escape, but broke leg in pit. Zombies tear me there.

I wrote this mod for YOU. Fight and die like a real men!
If you don’t get epic death write, and i remove this bug.

That’s… a lot of zombies. One day killed 179 zombies… Typically how large are the zombie hordes?

~80-200. But you may get several hordes it same place.

Do they still spawn dynamically or have you changed the spawn code to be static?

Dynamically. In common it is moving spawn points.

Dynamic spawn is bad unless you tweak it somehow to be more lenient. Otherwise any sound equals DEATH even when there’s no Zs for map tiles around.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, but smashing 1 bench in a shelter 8 map tiles away shouldn’t get me a single zed when there’s no one around, let alone a horde.

8 map tiles is little less horde spawn radius. It very close for horde. On this range they just track you. There is not simple coordinate system. 8 overmap tiles for horde = ~4 (or less) in map view. Also more distance to horde - less power of noice. If you has horde on range 20 and make noice on 35 - horde get noise with only 5 power. With horde interest = 30 chance to react = 1/6. Smashing benches in a shelter - it bad idea. If you want fun you must use shotgun.

ZZxZZ-----@

Z - horde
x - center of horde

On this example range to horde = ~16 but not 8. In any case they is too close.

I meant 8 map view tiles, so 16 for the horde if I’m understanding you right.

For this horde need sound with power 35 and more. (10 (noice < 10 ignored) + 16 (range) = 26 - min. noise to horde react.) It - gunshot/felled tree/explosion…

I think you should dynamically vary the horde size. That way a player can see how big the horde is before they decide to fight. Something like “Scattered Horde, Small Horde, Horde, Large Horde, Huge Horde, Apocalyptic Army” If a player encounters a scattered or small horde, they might wipe it out. This allows the player to get cocky, whereas most people might simply avoid hordes as much as possible if they are always too difficult to manage. Gotta kinda give the player the opportunity to burn themselves, you know?

Yes. I think i can do it. Also i can do display his speed and direction on map view.

Settled in the lab and I was besieged by zombies. The meal ended the night go past them into the woods…

For this horde need sound with power 35 and more. (10 (noice < 10 ignored) + 16 (range) = 26 - min. noise to horde react.) It - gunshot/felled tree/explosion…[/quote]

Even with a gunshot, I think the horde gunning on you from 8 map view tiles is unfair. Especially that they do it with 100% precision.

I think we presumed that each tile is 1x1 meters?

Each map tile is… 15? 16? 20 or so tiles in each direction. Let’s assume it’s 16.

From 8 map tiles away, that’s 128 meters. If you can’t hear, and pinpoint, a gunshot from 128 meters, then somebody else in the horde will, and other zombies will follow that zombie.

I can move noise cap to option for you. You want it?

For this horde need sound with power 35 and more. (10 (noice < 10 ignored) + 16 (range) = 26 - min. noise to horde react.) It - gunshot/felled tree/explosion…[/quote]

Even with a gunshot, I think the horde gunning on you from 8 map view tiles is unfair. Especially that they do it with 100% precision.[/quote]
It’s rather odd to call this unfair. It’s exactly what would happen in this situation.
This is a return to previous mechanics (firing a gun is dangerous), except it is much fairer now (attracts an actual horde instead of spawning monsters on top of you).
It’s simply a fact that if you fire a gun or set off an explosion, you should leave the area immediately. Unless you can handle whatever it would attract.

Maybe people are too used to the Static spawn where you can basically use a loudspeaker in the middle of a metropolis with 0 consequences? Back in my day… waves stick You /had/ to be covert, or you’d get mobbed real quick.

They may don’t use hordes.
What is your problem?
I did horde to make the game more hardcore. You must hide, don’t make noise, confuse you tracks, build good defense or be very mobile, stockpiling food and clean water. If you don’t want all this just don’t use hordes.