Hordes

Reaper: kilozombie is agreeing with you.

Ouch. I messed up again :slight_smile:

I add horde speed and size view on map.
I have question about tags:
Size:
< 20 - “very small”
20 - 40 - “small”
40 - 80 - “medium”
80 - 160 - “large”
160 - 280 - “very large”
< 280 - “huge”

Speed:
< 35 - “wandering”
35 - 50 - “tracking”

50 “moving”
If you want better tags - write it.

I would be hard pressed to call it fair too. I mean, I agree to the fact that using a gun our turning a car on inside cities ought to be a bad idea that you deserve drowning on hordes upon hordes of undead. But I don’t think that shooting your hunting rifle, once, in a forest far from the city should be punished at all.

IMO current hordes are way to proficient in tracking the player, I mean they can home exactly into your current location from what I can only guess is at least tens of away kilometers (I have seen hordes home on me from 40+, tiles every time I do sounds above 60) thats some really superhuman hearing, you cant really pinpoint a sound that happens a kilometers away (you cannot even pinpoint a sound that happens a few meters away), at the very most you will be able to tell the rough direction it came from if you were attentive and if theres no echo to confuse you.

I think that a single loud sound shot shouldnt really make the horde home on you, rather it should just move a probably random small amount of space in the general direction of the sound (general direction like in northwest, south, southeast). That way you wouldn’t die each time you make the mistake of shooting something in your remote farm but you would die if you keep shooting like its 4th of july. I also think that you should add random overmap noise that can attract hordes, in the same way the player does, the same with the “tracks” you added.

Ok. You take a point. I can randomize target point depending on the distance.
I think it delta = distance - noise-power-on-horde-side (i.e. pow - 10 - distance); delta < 0 ? : delta; tx,ty += delta.
E.g. 60 noise for horde on 40 distance give 40 - 10 = ±30 error to horde target.
But now it will not save you. Zombie likely find you on the tracks.

[quote=“Reaper, post:83, topic:5444”]I add horde speed and size view on map.
Size:
< 20 - “very small”
20 - 40 - “small”
40 - 80 - “medium”
80 - 160 - “large”
160 - 280 - “very large”
< 280 - “huge”

Speed:
< 35 - “wandering”
35 - 50 - “tracking”

50 “moving”
If you want better tags - write it.[/quote]

I want better tags. I’m writing! :wink:

Rather than using relative size terms, where one player’s “medium” may be another’s “large”, I think trying to give an (imprecise!) figure helps. My suggestions are deliberately inflated to reflect character imprecision and encourage worry on the player’s part. If that’s counterproductive, feel free to change accordingly.

< 20 - should get a headcount with this few
20 - 40 - “fifty or so”
40 - 80 - “less than a hundred”
80 - 160 - “over a hundred”
160 - 280 - “hundreds of 'em”
< 280 - “dunno. LOTS”

Speed seems OK as is, since they don’t hurry without a target.

Agreed that pinpointing the exact map tile from one noise might be excessive. Thanks.

[quote=“Reaper, post:83, topic:5444”]I add horde speed and size view on map.
Size:
< 20 - "very small"
20 - 40 - "small"
40 - 80 - "medium"
80 - 160 - "large"
160 - 280 - “very large”
< 280 - “huge”[/quote]

Would a Heroes of Might & Magic tribute be kosher?

That is,

Few 1-4 Several 5-9 Pack 10-19 Lots 20-49 Horde 50-99 Throng 100-249 Swarm 250-499 Zounds 500-999 Legion 1000+

Haha, do it!

No. This is not fantasy world, where unicorns eat rainbow and shit butterflies.

:frowning:

No. This is not fantasy world, where unicorns eat rainbow and shit butterflies.[/quote]
In Heroes of Might and Magic (As in nethack), unicorns will gore you and stomp on your battered corpse.

In any case different worlds. Also max horde size - 340 heads and m&m variant uneven.
But i think this strings may move to *.po and make anything.

Ok…i make pr: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/8108

Hey Reaper, just hope you don’t mind me sending out a message, " I am so thankful for the hordes. It’s a challenge I’ve been waiting for. Please keep up the good work. Over."

I’m glad that someone needs. I hope the changes will take the mainline and you do not have to learn to build win32 binaries from source.

It’s already an option in the main experimental. I heard you also have an NPC mod but I can’t access git due to some error about unauthorized sites or something. Is there a thread on that or have you only discussed it on the github site?

Those counts are not inherent to fantasy! It’s like refusing to add spears just because there’s a spearman unit in HoMM.

So what, the maximum will be “swarm” and that’s fine!

Great work so far btw. Going to check it out soon.

No. I have not yet come to that.
I want do running mod after it.

OKay…
0-20 - x heads
20-40 Pack
40-80 Few packs
80 - 160 Lots
160 - 280 Throng
280+ Swarm

Right?

By 0-20 = X heads, is X the actual number? I think it should be cause up to 20 people you could count then easily. Other then that the “pack” term seems a bit open to interpretation.