Honed Weapons

Sewing kits, hotplates, welding rigs and electric forges can be used to fit or reinforce armor.

Firearms have a wealth of available mods that will no doubt continue to expand.

My suggestion? Using a forge to hone melee weapons in a similar manner.

Ideally the character would (A)ctivate an electric forge or other suitable tool, select a weapon and be given a menu akin to that which pops up for the pocket knife; presenting players with options based on their fabrication skill and the weapon. The selected option would attach a prefix to the item ((Much like reinforced does)) and bestow a particular benefit while consuming some material components in the process.

Example:

Honed - Small cutting damage buff
Weighted - Extra blunt damage, reduce to-hit
Balanced - Increase to-hit
Lightweight - Reduce weight/moves-per-attack and overall damage
Blunted - Increase blunt damage, reduce cutting/pierce damage
Serrated - Increase cut damage, reduce blunt/cutting damage
etc

I like it.

Well, for balancing, you can’t have more than two… “Mods” on a melee weapon and can’t have conflicting ones, obviously.

And you can’t remove them either. BECAUSE BALANCE.

I agree with the “no-takebacks” rule and definitely had not intended for weapons to be honed to perfection.

How about a skill check? Poor skill in fabrication means no melee mods, passable skill means one and good skill hits the cap of two?

[size=10pt]Also[/size]

Some mods should be incompatible with each other ((Blunted/Sharpened)) and some should be incompatible with certain weapons ((Blunted Cudgel)

Lol, blunted cudgel.

But with using the welding rig/electric forge, it sounds like you’re just adding metal to said object to make it blunter.

I highly encourage the suggestion of effects, since people seem rather on board with this.

Blunted was a no-no for the cudgel, as it doesn’t really increase damage so much as convert cutting/stabbing damage to bashing damage. This and its counter parts for cutting (Sharpened) and pierce (Spiked?) could end up specializing a weapon for fighting particular enemies, what with the suggested (planned?) damage type/resistance rework I remember glancing at.

EDIT

Renamed sharpened to serrated, as a sharpened spear or knife sounds like it would stab better.

2 people saying they like it isn’t a lot of people, lol.

Any what effects? There aren’t many effects that can be applied to zombies.

Serrated sounds like it would only be applicable on knives. Sharpened sounds like it would go on bladed objects.

And sharpening stones…

I like it! Similar to gun mods weapon can have “mod slot”, but hidden instead. Some mod should be exclusive, like blunted vs honed, blunted vs serrated.

This is a really good idea and I think it should be implemented. The only thing is that I think there should be a big stat requirement for both the damage class of the mod you’re installing and also for fabrication in general. Not just anyone can serrate a regular blade with a forge, it takes a considerable amount of skill.

[quote=“Logrin, post:1, topic:4866”]Sewing kits, hotplates, welding rigs and electric forges can be used to fit or reinforce armor.

Firearms have a wealth of available mods that will no doubt continue to expand.

My suggestion? Using a forge to hone melee weapons in a similar manner.

Ideally the character would (A)ctivate an electric forge or other suitable tool, select a weapon and be given a menu akin to that which pops up for the pocket knife; presenting players with options based on their fabrication skill and the weapon. The selected option would attach a prefix to the item ((Much like reinforced does)) and bestow a particular benefit while consuming some material components in the process.

Example:

Honed - Small cutting damage buff
Weighted - Extra blunt damage, reduce to-hit
Balanced - Increase to-hit
Lightweight - Reduce weight/moves-per-attack and overall damage
Blunted - Increase blunt damage, reduce cutting/pierce damage
Serrated - Increase cut damage, reduce blunt/cutting damage
etc[/quote]i approve of this. get on it devs!

Speaking of modifiers.

Hilt-balanced - faster attack speed, lower damage outpud
Tip-balanced - slower attack speed, higher damage output
Spiked - adds piercing damage, lowers cut damage
Corroded/Bent/Cracked - lower damage output, result of being unlucky with upgrading
Netherrealm - applies various effects on enemies circa teleportation, fire burn, electrocution, acid burn; random only - 0.001% chance to imbue weapon on upgrading(Note on lore-wise of this thing: toxins from netherworld that weapon accumulated through time turned OH MY active because of operations you performed). Note: removes any other upgrades.

The thing is with spiked, is what if that you’re upgrading a nailed bat?

You put nails through the nails.

[size=14pt]Like a man![/size]

You can’t apply this upgrade, silly, your bat is already spiked. Or, alternatively, you can just insert more nails. The second way is slightly amusing and I like it.

I guess the way to do it would be to remove the nailbat and have it replaced by a normal bat with the “nail” modification same with the nailboard and the N.O.R.D

You put nails through the nails.

[size=14pt]Like a man![/size][/quote]yo dawg…