Homemade Flamethrower - Making spray cans useful

Kind of like the Molotov Cocktail, the Spray Can Flamethrower is one of the top homemade weapons people tend to think of. I propose that a new crafting recipe be added. It would take 1 spray can, a lighter, and some duct tape; probably about 50. It would craft said homemade flamethrower, and bam. Instant grilled zombie.

I do know there is a flamethrower in the game already (I think), and with this it probably doesn’t seem entirely too balanced if you can just make your own, but I propose that said new homemade flamethrower be much weaker than the regular one, and unable to be reloaded with more fuel. In essence, you get the ten charges of the spray can and then you trash it (or disassemble it if you really want that lighter back).

Any thoughts or balancing issues?

We can already make our own homemade pipe flamethrowers in game.

If this made it in I’d recommend it work more like a tazer then a flamethrower (Give me a second to explain before the WTF sets in.)

Wielding and 'f’iring it would act like 'a’ctivating the tazer, I see it only having a one square range and dealing damage but not much else. If we replace the tazers chance to electrocute/stun the target with the ability to ignite them I’d call it done. Guess you could 'a’ctivate it to light something on the ground in the same way as you can with a lighter but then your using 1/10th of your spray can instead of 1/100th of a lighter.

Also disassembling it would give a full lighter if you get one back so I’m not sure what to do about that.

Either way, that’s just my opinion.

Not to mention the full milspec Flamethrower (best gun ever, so far…). TaintedHolyWater’s concept seems pretty sound.

[quote=“TaintedHolyWater, post:2, topic:707”]We can already make our own homemade pipe flamethrowers in game.

If this made it in I’d recommend it work more like a tazer then a flamethrower (Give me a second to explain before the WTF sets in.)

Wielding and 'f’iring it would act like 'a’ctivating the tazer, I see it only having a one square range and dealing damage but not much else. If we replace the tazers chance to electrocute/stun the target with the ability to ignite them I’d call it done. Guess you could 'a’ctivate it to light something on the ground in the same way as you can with a lighter but then your using 1/10th of your spray can instead of 1/100th of a lighter.

Also disassembling it would give a full lighter if you get one back so I’m not sure what to do about that.

Either way, that’s just my opinion.[/quote]

I was thinking more that it should create a small 1x1 blob of “big fire” or whatever (red 4) so that it can set fire to things that are flammable without having to set down a stick first, like most furniture. I just wanted it to be small, like 1x1 so that it can’t compare to the other flamethrower at all; I just wanted this to be a very ghetto way to burn down fungal spires. Or buildings, if you’re suicidal enough.

You’re idea works well in making it a weapon, at least.

The effect you’re looking for is exactly like the CBM Flamethrower. Not exactly what you want but just putting it out there.

The problem I see with it putting down a fire tile is that the propellant burns off too quickly. Now this could be solved by using a different propellant then spray paint. Think of a large squirt gun full of grease (it’s slow burning) with a lighter on the end… hold on I have [S]arson[/S] science to perform. [I]Now where can I get the greasiest grease in town.[/I]

Remember kinds, playing with fire is bad and putting grease in you squirt gun with the intent of causing permanent damages to someone/thing is worse… because it’ll clog your gun, so remember to strain out of the gritty bits or use an already smooth substance. Happy hunting.

when you said weaponry and spray cans the first thing i thought of was the almighty spud gun, and it made me wonder, where is this backyard built wondergun that can be made with household items… all you need is a pipe, some duct tape, a spray can and a cheap lighter (98) and you’re good to go!

Considering that needs gas to [U]explode[/U] in the combustion chamber I’d recommend using a BBQ starter instead of a normal lighter and duct tape probably isn’t the best option to hold it together. It’s a miracle material but I recommend something a little heartier.

Side note: they can fire a large ball barring through a car if you fill the chamber with oxyacetylene…not that I’d ever do that of course.

Side note 2: Someone make this happen. They are a great time and can be loading with so many things it’s outrageous.
-Potato natch.
-Ball barring
-Tin can full of rocks (Shot gun effect)
[S]-Body parts[/S] Untested.
-Apple (just like a potato)
-Sock full of dirt (sand bag effect)
-Many, many other things.

How about duct tape plus superglue? I don’t recall superglue being used for much.

Pilot lights (from hotplates, etc) might be a solution to the ignitor problem. IIRC they’re used in the homemade flamethrower as well so they ought to be somewhat robust.

Sounds about right.

Unfortunately I cant program by way out of a box* so someone else will have to bring this to life.

*Honestly if you can remove yourself from a physical box using only programming then I tip my hat to you.