Head Encumberment / coverage

So is there any real reason to switch to an Army Helmet from roller-girl (-bird-lizard)'s starting “Skid Lid”? It has significantly more encumberment than the army helmet, but I don’t even know what that affects on the head, and it has better actual armour qualities.

There’s also the “100% coverage” vs “60% coverage”, but unless it is protecting against fire and suchlike I don’t even know if that does anything.

Anyone out there have any illumination to shed on this not-so-well-wiki’d area?

Coverage is also basically a flat chance to actually intercept an attack. So for example coverage of 100% means that every attack that hits that body part will be dampened by that particular piece of armor. On the other hand if something has a lower coverage (such as the 60% one) then that means that only 60% of the time will it actually protect you from an attack at all, meaning the other 40% of the time the attack would just hit you directly!

Head encumbrance doesn’t do anything, but it stops you from wearing any other head equipment. Some headgear also cover other areas - such as the riot helmet that also covers the eyes and mouth - so encumbrance does matter there.

Coverage determines how often that piece of armor protects against an attack. So a 100% coverage item will always factor in damage calculation, but a 50% coverage item only does so half the time.

[quote=“Blaze, post:3, topic:7309”]Head encumbrance doesn’t do anything, but it stops you from wearing any other head equipment. Some headgear also cover other areas - such as the riot helmet that also covers the eyes and mouth - so encumbrance does matter there.

Coverage determines how often that piece of armor protects against an attack. So a 100% coverage item will always factor in damage calculation, but a 50% coverage item only does so half the time.[/quote]

So my 65% skid lid may have a bit more armour, but the fact that the helmet covers me 95% will mean a better overall protection (for my purposes anyways). Good To Know. (Mouth encumberance? Should I take out my mouth guard before trying to convince NPCs not to kill me?)

Thanks folks!

Mouth Encumbrance makes movement cost more action points, +5 for every 1 encumbrance.

In the Character screen ("@"), you can press tab to switch to Encumberments and then use the arrow-keys to examine what the different types of encumberment do.
Just in case you didn’t know, yet.

[quote=“Snaaty, post:6, topic:7309”]In the Character screen ("@"), you can press tab to switch to Encumberments and then use the arrow-keys to examine what the different types of encumberment do.
Just in case you didn’t know, yet.[/quote]

Missed that one! Thanks!