H&K 12mm

Sooooo I found this H&K 12mm Railgun…I REEEEEALLLLLLY want to shoot some zombies with it, I cannot tell you. Also I know were the turret that killed my last character is and I want it dead so yeah, I’d like to have this baby for that little prick too. Anyway, how rare is this 12mm ammo? Can I make it? What are my odds of ever getting to use this beauty?

I’m not sure how rare is the ammo, but try raiding a few gun store and military bunker (harder) and hopefully you can find some.

About as rare as the gun.
Nope, well I cant with 12 fabrication and at least 10 in most other skills.
mmm, well if you can survive a few weeks, then id say good, your best chance is probably military corpses with military bases and lab armories next. But if your problem is turrets, you may want to avoid them. Ammo also drops in stacks of 20 by memory, so even if you find some you wont get much use out of it.
Turrets go down pretty easy as long as you take them in the dark (no carrying glowsticks or lightstrips either, thatl kill you) with a decent gun and FMJ type ammo.

Wait, so are you telling me the turrets can’t see in the dark and that if I turn off my flashlight I can kill them from 2 squares away in safety with my Night Vision trait? Because that would be both amazing and very sad for my last poor char may he rest in peace.

Also surviving a few weeks won’t be a problem, this character started basically right in the middle of the territory my last character lived in so I just walked back to my old base and grabbed up a bunch of my secondary gear and started training skills out of my bajillion skill books. My last character was about a week into Summer when he died so this area is pretty clear except for the occasional bear, wolf, or zombear, all of which I’m not concerned with.

[quote=“ClusterDSA, post:4, topic:4185”]Wait, so are you telling me the turrets can’t see in the dark and that if I turn off my flashlight I can kill them from 2 squares away in safety with my Night Vision trait? Because that would be both amazing and very sad for my last poor char may he rest in peace.

Also surviving a few weeks won’t be a problem, this character started basically right in the middle of the territory my last character lived in so I just walked back to my old base and grabbed up a bunch of my secondary gear and started training skills out of my bajillion skill books. My last character was about a week into Summer when he died so this area is pretty clear except for the occasional bear, wolf, or zombear, all of which I’m not concerned with.[/quote]

Generally the turret can see up to 6 squares away. Easy enough to stand off and throw rocks, though low Throwing may need a lot of rocks to do the job.

Do turrets give off light? I had just planned to shoot the damn thing…doing so with a railgun would have just been for fun but I have a H&K G36 with plenty of ammo I use mostly on this new character till I can get my katana back. Anyway its on the second floor down of a lab through a door. If it can see 6 squares in the dark I don’t know that darkness will help me here.

In a Lab, the ambient light may be low enough for you to get away with opening the door and shooting it. Depends on the size of the room; small room may need another approach.

In general if the turret goes “beep-beep-beep” that means it’s gonna shoot you if you stay there. Back up or get to cover.

Its a fairly small room off a hallway. There is a computer monitor in there, I don’t remember if the turret is inside its light radius.

Edit: Well I decided to just go back and give it a whirl for the hell of it…turns out the last shot my last character took killed the turret at the exact same time the shots it took killed him so it wasn’t even there…much ado about nothing it would seem. I will however see if I can make the low light levels work for me in the future.

Ok so turning off my flashlight before I open each door in this science lab has done wonders. The turrets do seem to give off some ambient light so I can see them and shoot them unmolested making clearing this place nice and simple…down to the second lower Z level. -19F to -23F makes me very cold but I’m not going to die from it…however I fear what I saw when I stepped down to -3 Z level and saw the temperature at -49F. That’s some deadly cold right there and I can relate, I work in a freezer. But I’m already wearing soooo much stuff, how do I get warm enough to go down further? Only thing I can think of is the winter coat and gloves but that will still leave my legs, feet, and head frozen. How the hell is it even that cold down there anyway? They can’t have expected scientists to work down there like that, and being underground that far it would maintain a constant 55F-60F in reality without being refrigerated. And if it was refrigerated how is it still refrigerated without power? (no lights working in the building) Ok disregarding my confusion/rant about the temperature not making sense and just looking at it as an obstacle to overcome, do I just need to wear maximum layers of clothing and take the massive encumbrance penalty? Like wear 3 scarves, 3 knit/fur hats ect. ect.?

The terrible !!SCIENCE!! that the scientists performed in the lowest level is sucking the heat from the lab (and from our reality)

Ok, because SCIENCE! But still how does one contend with a temperature like that game mechanic wise?

Fur cloaks, layering with wool socks, long underwear and such, and a winterized survivor suit.

Welp, guess its time to start work on my skills then…soooo much reading to do.

Or wear two fur sleeping bags (just remember to drop them before combat)

The fur sleeping bags are a closer solution so I’ll probably use them, though the survivor suit is what I would prefer to use as its way cooler conceptually. Maybe I’ll have it by the time I find my next science lab.