…for those who hate to hold back!
As a fairly new player (first post here, actually!), I was poking around the reloaded ammo recipes, and getting a massive headache from the labyrinth of bleach, ammonia, lye, etc. I finally sat down and worked it all out, and discovered that virtually all ammo in the game can be crafted from only logs (infinite), water (infinite), scrap metal (might as well be infinite), and casings (limited, but recyclable), and using vehicle-mounted, solar-powered tools (infinite). This means that once you find casings, you should never run out of ammo (assuming you have the tools/skills/recipe books required). I’m sure the experienced players know all this, but hopefully this will help other newbies.
A few general tips to start with:
- Casings can not be crafted, so your max ammo load-out will always be limited to the number of casings you find. (So you probably don’t ever want to leave them behind when doing the inventory shuffle)
- Make a brass catcher. Now. I didn’t know these existed until I stumbled upon the recipe while looking for something else. Automatically puts casings back into your inventory instead of on the ground, saving massive amounts of time.
- Make several charcoal kilns, and try to always keep them burning. They take a while, and don’t process if you’re not in the immediate vicinity, so make sure they’re running all the time.
Tools you need to find/make:
- Cooking skill of 8 (I think), fabrication 4-5
- Hand press and die set (vehicle mounted version can be found as part of the FOODCO Kitchen Buddy)
- Swage and die set
- Chemistry set (can be mounted on a vehicle)
- Charcoal kiln
- Tool w/ hammering 1+
- Tool w/ chemical making 2+
- Tool w/ boiling 1+
If making ammo that requires copper tubing, you’ll also need:
- Aluminum tongs
- Metalworking chisel
- Forge (mounted electric forge)
- Tool w/ hammering 3+
Most regular ammo pretty much requires the following four or five components:
- Appropriate casings (must be found)
- One of four types of primer (they all have the same recipe)
- Copper tubing (not all require this one)
Primers require scrap metal and oxidizer powder. Scrap is easy to find (or disassemble other steel bits to get).
Oxidizer powder can be made from water and logs via the following process:
Log -> Charcoal Kiln -> Charcoal (+ Water) -> Lye Powder (+ Water) -> Salt (+ Water) -> Salt Water -> Bleach (+ Water) -> Oxidizer Powder
One batch of 200 primers requires 4 scrap metal, 1.125 water, and 0.0208 logs (dirt cheap, since you only need one per round).
Gunpowder requires oxidizer powder (see above), ammonia, and charcoal (also see above)
Ammonia can be crafted from water, scrap metal, and charcoal
One batch of 200 gunpowder requires 3.25 water, 1 scrap metal, and 0.4 logs (not as cheap, since you need 4-12 per round - or 30, if you’re going for .50 BMG).
Apparently all of our survivors are alchemists, because they seem to be able to turn steel into lead (can be crafted from chunks of steel or scrap metal), so this should be easy to come by.
Again with the alchemy… can be made from scrap metal and lead. Easy to come by the materials, but needs a lot more tools.
Hopefully this helps, and you can now go unleash hell on the Zs, confident that you can reload when you get home.