Gruesome Scenes of the Cataclysm and of Humanity

Huh. Here I was thinking along the lines of simply a map_special sort of thing that’s more for the player’s benefit, rather than a morale-draining trap.

:-/

That object must be pretty bad…

[quote=“KA101, post:21, topic:6678”]Huh. Here I was thinking along the lines of simply a map_special sort of thing that’s more for the player’s benefit, rather than a morale-draining trap.

:-/[/quote]

If you want to show me how, I’ll gladly learn. I’m just getting started with messing around with stuff in Cataclysm.
If you mean a map special like a group of bodies and whatnot, couldn’t we still do that with the morale trap to really signify that it’s messed with the player’s head quite a bit?

You have no idea!

[quote=“Krutchen, post:23, topic:6678”][quote=“KA101, post:21, topic:6678”]Huh. Here I was thinking along the lines of simply a map_special sort of thing that’s more for the player’s benefit, rather than a morale-draining trap.

If you want to show me how, I’ll gladly learn. I’m just getting started with messing around with stuff in Cataclysm.
If you mean a map special like a group of bodies and whatnot, couldn’t we still do that with the morale trap to really signify that it’s messed with the player’s head quite a bit?

You have no idea![/quote]

A map_special is the same type of thing as science corpses, random portals or minicraters, etc. Shouldn’t be a problem.

Clarifying: I’m separating “player” (at the keyboard) and “character” (the @ running around). One of the first things I objected to when I joined the forums was the idea of game-enforced character fears, about which the player had no say. Same idea as lemons having negative morale because Whales thought they were sour*, or peanut-butter cups being everyone’s favorite.

*I recall Kevin commenting about enjoying lemons, and I’m known to eat 'em when available.

Having the game stop me and say “this scene (whatever it may be) is so Bad to your character that you took a morale/focus hit” really isn’t something I’m willing to merge. Fears are a very individual thing.

I’m from the System Shock, VtM, AvP, etc school: the character can handle whatever comes its way, because I, the player, am the one who has to handle the stressful scenes. And to pull an example from System Shock 2, hearing a droid activate (but I’m not quite sure where) is a lot spookier than seeing the various residual defects in the R-grade unit. (Literature might call them “ghosts”.)

Additional:
One other problem with the morale trap is that it discourages folks from finding the scenes, and by extension, from appreciating the effort spent on making them. There are a fair few suggestions in this thread that I wouldn’t mind merging (hell, I might be persuaded to write 'em up myself) but if finding one nails morale–especially if it nails morale every time I approach within X range–they’ll be something best avoided altogether. Recognize the tell-tale signs and detour!

This idea is amazing, and i suggest to add every scene that has been said here and more. A lot more. A destroyed, bloody birthday… a dead woman, fully covered in blood, and a mutated fetus on the ground… a torture scene… and what about a tied zombie in the floor of a house? World War Z ref.

[quote=“KA101, post:24, topic:6678”][quote=“Krutchen, post:23, topic:6678”][quote=“KA101, post:21, topic:6678”]Huh. Here I was thinking along the lines of simply a map_special sort of thing that’s more for the player’s benefit, rather than a morale-draining trap.

You have no idea![/quote]

A map_special is the same type of thing as science corpses, random portals or minicraters, etc. Shouldn’t be a problem.

Clarifying: I’m separating “player” (at the keyboard) and “character” (the @ running around). One of the first things I objected to when I joined the forums was the idea of game-enforced character fears, about which the player had no say. Same idea as lemons having negative morale because Whales thought they were sour*, or peanut-butter cups being everyone’s favorite.

*I recall Kevin commenting about enjoying lemons, and I’m known to eat 'em when available.

Having the game stop me and say “this scene (whatever it may be) is so Bad to your character that you took a morale/focus hit” really isn’t something I’m willing to merge. Fears are a very individual thing.

I’m from the System Shock, VtM, AvP, etc school: the character can handle whatever comes its way, because I, the player, am the one who has to handle the stressful scenes. And to pull an example from System Shock 2, hearing a droid activate (but I’m not quite sure where) is a lot spookier than seeing the various residual defects in the R-grade unit. (Literature might call them “ghosts”.)

Additional:
One other problem with the morale trap is that it discourages folks from finding the scenes, and by extension, from appreciating the effort spent on making them. There are a fair few suggestions in this thread that I wouldn’t mind merging (hell, I might be persuaded to write 'em up myself) but if finding one nails morale–especially if it nails morale every time I approach within X range–they’ll be something best avoided altogether. Recognize the tell-tale signs and detour![/quote]
I can completely understand this, as I have also disliked the morale penalty for eating a lemon (cuz I like lemons, I love sour), however my original idea was to not have morale penalties and to instead have the player determine how he/she feels about it.

I’m not a fan of the morale debuff either. The scenes are there for atmospheric effect, and giving a hit to your morale when the character sees them discourages the player from immersing themselves in the harsh realities of the apocalypse.

I do like these scene ideas, though the pills thing should definitely default to off if added at all.
It’s a tragic scene for sure, and I’d love it in my Cataclysm. At the same time I know that it would be a horrible sight for a lot of people.

No thanks, when it comes to these scenes giving a morale penalty.

I disagree, we’re certainly making choices whether the player is disturbed by or made happy various things, like killing monsters, being in pain, reading books, eating food, etc. I don’t see why this is any different.

Saying that fears are very individual doesn’t resolve the issue, now you’re making the choice that all players are the kind of people who can walk by a gruesome murder and not be affected by it in any significant way. Having a morale system in the first place means we’re making that call, so simply opting out isn’t an option. Having said that, given the scenario it should be something reserved for truly awful tableaus, and the effect should certainly fall off with exposure just like the similar effects from killing monsters.

As for “discouraging interaction with the scene”, if players have a reaction of “I see blood splatters over there, I might not like what I see so I’ll avoid it”. Holy crap, that IS interacting with the scene, that’s encouraging role-play, right? You have a choice, do you investigate, possibly being disturbed by it, but also possibly finding something you desperately need? Or do you avoid it?

Now if you ARE playing a hard-bitten tough guy or gal that’s seen it all already and isn’t going to be bothered by one more corpse, no matter how mutilated, take the appropriate trait and enjoy your unrestrained looting.

I’d settle for a morale penalty while you’re near, then when you walk away, it disappears. Much like wet penalties.

Also allows for classic “I don’t want to return to that place”.

I love the way you think.

A couple issues I see with this: you come up on a dead family. The horrific scene depresses you horribly. Then you butcher all the bodies for the survival skill and chop up all their clothes to level your tailoring. Then the scene is effectively gone, but yet every time you return, you still take a morale hit. I could see it being explained as a bad memory, but your response as a player is usually going to be opposite to your response as the character.

That’s exactly what I described… you don’t want to return to the same place even though the scene is gone. It’s haunting.

Staying around “you have no idea” tiered horrors is probably bad for your mind. (Secret sanity stat, anyone?)
Say you find a human body blown to bits by a grenade… and you’re forced to shack up and sleep next to it. Delicious mind candy. Read some war journals and you’ll know how much fun something like this can be.

While traversing a swamp I slipped and planted my foot right in the skull of an old, rotten corpse. It had gone soft so I went right through. Puss and disgusting black goop clung to my footwear as I recoiled in horror. Still dressed in uniform, that corpse. Soft. Rotten to the core. I was never the same after that...
Get some bad juju up and you’re more likely to have nightmares and develop mental conditions. Should also toughen you up some, BUT AT WHAT COOOOST?!

Mind some plants or something to make life feel special again. Take a breather from the grotesque nature of zombie survival.

[quote=“Slax, post:34, topic:6678”]Staying around “you have no idea” tiered horrors is probably bad for your mind. (Secret sanity stat, anyone?)
Say you find a human body blown to bits by a grenade… and you’re forced to shack up and sleep next to it. Delicious mind candy. Read some war journals and you’ll know how much fun something like this can be.

While traversing a swamp I slipped and planted my foot right in the skull of an old, rotten corpse. It had gone soft so I went right through. Puss and disgusting black goop clung to my footwear as I recoiled in horror. Still dressed in uniform, that corpse. Soft. Rotten to the core. I was never the same after that...
Get some bad juju up and you’re more likely to have nightmares and develop mental conditions. Should also toughen you up some, BUT AT WHAT COOOOST?!

Mind some plants or something to make life feel special again. Take a breather from the grotesque nature of zombie survival.[/quote]

As I’ve said repeatedly, Eternal Darkness Days Ahead is a fine mod. Not for mainline, thanks.

So in otherwords a scene from LCS’ interegation system, going wrong.

A completely bloodied room full of gibs and gore. Oh, and a sentient atomic vibrator.

Well, as killing zombie kids, you should start getting unaffected by seeing this scenes over time. That’s it. It’s not so hard, i don’t know why you people are so complicated about this. :I (Sorry if i am being rude)

Kevin…
Man, you make way too much sense, this has to be illegal somewhere. Changed my mind on the matter of morale.