Gods of the Cataclysm (Challenge Thread)

only 2000 pain? hug a fungaloids naked now i will have 6000+
and 3000 radiation i will try after i get my repair nanobots and sucubber system (still cant find my body after fail at J-9)

Build a car that can go over 100 mph. Put spiked plating on the front, get it up to 100 mph, jump out, use Time Dilation to run in front of it, and take the hit. [s]Survive.[/s]
Just made an attempt, I completed approximately 85% of the instructions... [spoiler=Equipment][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UmHHu8A.png[/img][/spoiler] [spoiler=Moment of Truth][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/P5aJiFx.png[/img][/spoiler] [spoiler=RIP][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/StjBjhZ.png[/img][/spoiler] [spoiler=Atleast he died happy][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bE1l15X.png[/img][/spoiler] I'm not sure if this challenge is even possible without cheating, this is my old cybernetic mutant I copied into a recent experimental (Does that count as cheating?).

Now it’s time for me to reload my backup and play hot potato with a mininuke.

That’s not cheating, you’re fine. I’ll take down the challenge. I didn’t think it was possible either.

Is it possible to build a vehicle underwater?

Just equip a ups powered rebreather and get to work, bonus points if you can ride a bike at 100mph underwater then timejump in front of it while holding an active mininuke…and maybe being on fire or something.

Vehicles in water just sort of… Vanish unless they’re boats.

so build a boat what go over 100 mph while being underwater and speed it up and with time dialation go in front of it while holding a mininuke :smiley:

I’m going to do the hulk challenge, but I need a way to keep this one captive while I kill the rest of the horde. Is there a material that even hulks cannot smash?

There is one “material” hulks cannot beat: darkness.
You can also outrun hulks if you take fleet-footed, quick and padded feet (padded requires mutant background, which is easy mode for unarmed, though). Or just fleet-footed and drugs. Or rollerblades.
Or you can utilize that extra speed hulk has - it can easily outrun all but the fastest zombies.

I’m keeping it occupied with a spore. Also, running isn’t an option any more: I’m surrounded by hundreds of zombies. I don’t think I can even teleport out of here.

I killed a mini-horde of Zombie Hulks unarmed once. Granted, this was prior to their buff.
Thrillers are gonna suck now.
Also, for the unarmed ones, I think there should be a caveat of “no Brawling” because Brawling can just stun-punch everything.

Regarding hulk challenge:
To test out how doable it is, I created a debug char, 8/8/8/8, 1 trait (hooves to cancel out no footwear) and cheated a no temperature debug mutation on him (I could just pick a warm spring day, but it’s less tedious that way).

I made him drop all the equipment he started with, then gave him lots of meth, adderal and tramadol, took 2 first till he got all the speed bonus he could get and spawned a hulk.

After 10 minutes of shrub dancing, the hulk was dead, while debugdude gained almost 4 levels of melee and unarmed (skills sit at 3(94%) and 3(93%) respectively).

Observations:
Hooves did a lot of damage, but it would be still doable if they were there only to cancel speed penalty.
No need for brawling - regular unarmed crits stun well enough and relying on stun is very risky anyway because you can’t tell how long will it last.
Hulk’s armor protected him from non-crit punches, meaning skills and dexterity matter a lot.
Getting pain above 10 is pretty much the end of the challenge, as is allowing meth to run out in a bad moment.
Shrubs OP, nerf shrubs. Wouldn’t be doable without movement-impairing stuff.

tl;dr 8/8/8/8 average joe except with hooves gets high on meth and stomps a hulk to death

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:31, topic:7456”]Regarding hulk challenge:
To test out how doable it is, I created a debug char, 8/8/8/8, 1 trait (hooves to cancel out no footwear) and cheated a no temperature debug mutation on him (I could just pick a warm spring day, but it’s less tedious that way).

I made him drop all the equipment he started with, then gave him lots of meth, adderal and tramadol, took 2 first till he got all the speed bonus he could get and spawned a hulk.

After 10 minutes of shrub dancing, the hulk was dead, while debugdude gained almost 4 levels of melee and unarmed (skills sit at 3(94%) and 3(93%) respectively).

Observations:
Hooves did a lot of damage, but it would be still doable if they were there only to cancel speed penalty.
No need for brawling - regular unarmed crits stun well enough and relying on stun is very risky anyway because you can’t tell how long will it last.
Hulk’s armor protected him from non-crit punches, meaning skills and dexterity matter a lot.
Getting pain above 10 is pretty much the end of the challenge, as is allowing meth to run out in a bad moment.
Shrubs OP, nerf shrubs. Wouldn’t be doable without movement-impairing stuff.

tl;dr 8/8/8/8 average joe except with hooves gets high on meth and stomps a hulk to death[/quote]

Hooves are not Average–they do severe damage when they hit and are one of the best non-active mutations for damage output–and I’d suggest Tough Feet instead. Further, I’d hold that the barefoot penalty is part of being naked.

Further, exploiting one shrub like that is pretty much the reason why we don’t take nerf calls on 'em seriously. Folks calling for nerfs are the same folks actively seeking to break the game in some sort of claim to be Better. You broke it, have fun with your pieces.

I’m not saying the game is broken and all, just describing how did the challenge go.
As I said: hooves were really helpful, but it could be done without them. It would take a ton of patience, but crits can break through hulk’s bashing resistance.
Barefoot movement penalty would similarly make the challenge take more time, but since meth+adderal is enough to outrun a hulk (even barefoot) once again it boils down to patience.

As for shrubs: the call for nerf was mostly a joke, but it wouldn’t be an overstatement if I said that leading zombies into windows and shrubs is the defining feature of early game DDA combat. Other roguelikes have corridors where you funnel mobs, DDA has windows and shrubs.
It is not “actively seeking to break the game” to use efficient tactics and available resources, especially ones served on a silver platter with a giant red arrow labeled “this is how you git gud” pointing at them, like shrubs, windows, night vision, bows and fire.

That said, it would make sense for big monsters not to be slowed down by plants and furniture much smaller than them or otherwise easy to trample.

windows and bush are not too op
use shooping cart in tight 1 tile wide aley its far better than window or bush

I got a captured hulk.

BUT I FORGOT THE UNARMED PART

To honor the death of some alternate universe’s Marloss Man Reborn, I’ve added a new challenge: Kill a tank bot in melee.

i need to just be unarmed and do not use throwing? right?

No, you can be armed. But don’t use throwing.

I found a hulk (my seventh) on the second floor of an office tower. I killed it unarmed. This is only a hard challenge because you’re not allowed to cheat in the hulk. You have to find it.

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:39, topic:7456”]
I found a hulk (my seventh) on the second floor of an office tower. I killed it unarmed. This is only a hard challenge because you’re not allowed to cheat in the hulk. You have to find it.[/quote]

I wouldn’t consider a marloss addict to be much of a god. :stuck_out_tongue: