Gauging interest in pulp fork of 0.c

I’m a huge fan of pulp-era fiction, and I’ve been making some notes on a mod I’d be interested in working on with a few people if there’s sufficient interest. I’d like to remove the science fiction and modern elements from the game and replace them with pulp tropes set in the 1920s. For example, faux-Egyptian mysticism is one of the major characteristics of pulp horror, so instead of zombies from an infection, there are mummies shambling around because of a curse. Instead of trans-dimensional fungus and such, there are War of the Worlds invaders from Mars, complete with red weed, and tripods with heat rays to be avoided (along the lines of tank drones). Cybernetics would be replaced with mystic artifacts which serve the same role, but are much less powerful. Mutations would be replaced by curses, which would be largely negative and something to be avoided, but fall into more traditional pulp-era narratives like vampirism, lycanthropy, ghoulification, and so on.

A mod like this would require a complete overhaul of the game, so I’d like to use the latest stable version, 0.c, as a base from which to work. In some ways the game would be simpler (a lot of technological equipment and modern buildings would be removed), but making this many changes would still be a major project. Unless there’s significant interest from folks who share my love of pulp and have read the Fu Manchu novels, listened to all the old Shadow radio plays, and so on, it’s too much for me to take on by myself.

Comments appreciated, especially advice on how such a project can be organized practically; Google docs, or Git or whatever.

their is a popular magic mod that might play well into yours. Still need ALOT of changes but it might help. Making the pulp fiction another dimension would be cool. There are plans to make all the other hazardous dimensions visit-able and making an alternate pulp fiction dimension cataclysm that can perhaps be linked to the main cataclysm would be really neat to be able to travel back and forth between… Once alternate dimensions is a thing… until then, sounds like a neat mod.

It sure would be interesting to see different forks of the game - each being in their alternative dimension with alternative stuff. I sure would be interested.

It doesn’t need to be a fork though. DDA supports heavy moding.

Also building it as a mod would let you make incremental progress, get feedback on how people like things, let you get feedback and support on technical issues, and get you automatic improvements to the game as they’re released for DDA.
The #1 killer of new projects is not proceeding incrementally.

I’d start with a mod that adds a locatiin like an egyptian style crypt and populate it with some pulpy monsters, with a quest line leading to it.

Either way, good luck, sounds really cool.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:5, topic:11709”]Also building it as a mod would let you make incremental progress, get feedback on how people like things, let you get feedback and support on technical issues, and get you automatic improvements to the game as they’re released for DDA.
The #1 killer of new projects is not proceeding incrementally.

I’d start with a mod that adds a locatiin like an egyptian style crypt and populate it with some pulpy monsters, with a quest line leading to it.

Either way, good luck, sounds really cool.[/quote]

Hmm. Good advice. What I might do, then, is work on a proof-in-concept as a small area to attract people to the project.

Hello, Rama Tut. I’m planning to make and post a series of era mods, if I can get Github set up. If you need some help with historical research or .JSON tinkering, leave a comment, and i’ll see what I can do.