Game laggy, keystrokes in menu have no or nondesired effects

Hey everyone,
I’m trying to get back into the game, however, with the current version (tried E, E-1, E-2, both 64 and 32 bit, all for Windows 10) the game is basically unplayable for me. Keystrokes are registered with ~1 sec delay or not at all, and sometimes do not do what they are supposed to do. Say, I press Tab to change the rider in the options menu. I doesn’t do anything. I try to do other stuff, then press Tab again, which works. I then try to change language by pressing Enter, and instead change rider. I press Tab again, and get the effect for having pressed Enter. Similar things happen when navigating the menu with numpad or d-pad. Backtab also works only extremely sporadically.
I have a pretty old laptop, but I am way above system requirements, and I don’t have any problems playing many other, more demanding games. I have tried a different keyboard, to no avail.

I would be very, very glad if someone had any hints or suggestions as to what I could try to fix this, as I am quite fixated on playing this gem again.

Is only the game laggy or the whole system while the game is running? For example, can you navigate the Windows menu, open and type in Word without any problem while the game “runs” in the background?

Word seems slightly laggy, however, I can run Diablo III while “in game” and do not experience any issues. I’m also typing this while both games are open with no noticeable issues.

Hm… Do you have dwarf fortress? If I remember correctly, they use the same rendering system (SDL), so it might slow down as well, especially if you run them simultaneously.

Did you update from an existing game (transferred your settings/save over) or run a fresh install?
Do you use the launcher or the direct download from the website?

I used to play Dwarf Fortress on the same laptop, same operating system, never had any issues.
I downloaded the game from the website, didn’t use the installer, didn’t have a prior installation.

I solved it - your mention of the rendering system got me to try out changing rendering from D3D to D3D11 via editing the options file (as doing it via the menu was impossible :D) - fixes all the problems, for some reason. Thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like

Great! Glad you were able to figure it out!

I was going to suggest to turn off fullscreen, as it sometimes screws things up, but oh well :smile: .

Thanks for letting me/us know anyway :relaxed: .