Future warfare! (weapon suggestions)

I suddenly noticed that most of our Sci-Fi weapons are pretty much re-skins of each other when it comes to functionality (AKA the fusion guns, plasma rifles, charge weapons which all explode and set fire while using different ammo) or behave more or less like average projectile weapons with insane stats and/or nifty visual effects (laser weapons, railguns). Surely we can do better than that!

This is what I came up but you are free to give your own suggestions!
(The names are terrible, but its the concept what matters)

Microwave rifle (due to the lack of a better name):
A compact and meaner version of the real Active denial system. It fires a 3 tiles wide invisible beam in the direction of your choosing, which depending on your setting (kind of like the burst fire option) could: Stun the first creature it meets just like the ADS does, should only work with creatures capable of feeling pain; cause severe burns (aka just damage) or set fire to the first 3 creatures that cross path with the beam; or at the higher power consumption instantly create a raging fire in the first obstacle (terrain, furniture or monster) that meets the beam. The gun should probably be powered by an UPS.

Magnetron cannon
What happens when you back up your standard microwave magnetron with the POWER of the ATOM and slap the result on a two by four? Well I am not sure, but it surely involves melted corneas and horrible third degree burns.

It is the improvised version of the Microwave rifle mentioned above, limited to a one tile wide beam and to the stun and basic damage fire modes.

X11- MARAUDER
The X11-Marauder accelerates a toroid of plasma at a significant percentage of the speed of light which explodes with devastating effects when hitting its target. Or without copying Wikipedia, its the equivalent of a rocket launcher, just that whatever is unlucky to be on the wrong side of it gets completely vaporized without trace. The projectile should just keep obliterating everything it touches until touching the edge of the reality bubble. Creating a nice escape route through whatever walls were there.

Should probably deplete a whole canister of hydrogen per shot and something like 100 batteries.

Plasma Carronade
Have you ever burst shot a M249 in game? Well this weapon does basically that, just that it creates a fire on every tile the bullets land on. It just some sort of futuristic flamethrower capable of melting tanks in half. Works on UPS and hydrogen.

Dimensional Translocator
The energy beam fired by the dimensional translocator creates thousands microscopical dimensional rifts on the surface it impacts these dimensional rifts then proceed to completely rip the object as small chunks of it are chaotically teleported. Result, the weapon works similar to the floating eyes destruct walls attack, but only destroying the first surface it hits. When aimed against a monster, the result is always ludicrous gibs. ALWAYS

Powered by plutonium cells directly just like the teleporter.

Well those are the first things that came to mind, they all seem like fun weapons to use.

Love it, but weapons weren’t really in development during the Cata.

The X11-Marauder accelerates a toroid of plasma at a significant percentage of the speed of light which explodes with devastating effects when hitting its target. Or without copying Wikipedia, its the equivalent of a rocket launcher, just that whatever is unlucky to be on the wrong side of it gets completely vaporized without trace. The projectile should just keep obliterating everything it touches until touching the edge of the reality bubble. Creating a nice escape route through whatever walls were there.

Should probably deplete a whole canister of hydrogen per shot and something like 100 batteries.

I favour this weapon like many, many other futuretech fans, but you made me laugh so hard with your 100 batteries.
I think I pooped a little. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Interesting weapons. I could see this one…

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:1, topic:5791”]Dimensional Translocator
The energy beam fired by the dimensional translocator creates thousands microscopical dimensional rifts on the surface it impacts these dimensional rifts then proceed to completely rip the object as small chunks of it are chaotically teleported. Result, the weapon works similar to the floating eyes destruct walls attack, but only destroying the first surface it hits. When aimed against a monster, the result is always ludicrous gibs. ALWAYS

Powered by plutonium cells directly just like the teleporter.[/quote]
Being a failed attempt at trying to make a portable teleporter gun before the teleporter was made. Anyway, I think these definitely shouldn’t be handed out in the regular game, or even in labs. I would actually suggest a new dungeon to hold them, we haven’t had any new places to explore in that sort of a way. Perhaps when z-levels come in some sort of a hidden army lab within a corporate skyscraper, so instead of going down and down into the depths of a lab you keep heading up and up to hold off at the rooftop in exchange for a handful of really neat weaponry.

my fun idea over-the-top addition

Gun of the Sun - super artefact
spoiler to save space [spoiler]
before the cataclysm, the military launched a powered satellite into very close orbit around the sun, this sat has 2 functions, 1 use the massive energy from the sun to stay in orbit, 2 maintain it’s side of a portal

on earth is the device that makes the other side of that portal.
It would cause an insane increase in temperature in a tight cone in it’s aimed direction, cause a large explosion at it’s target, and generate a patch of lava at it’s target.

you must be wearing very heat resistant gear to be anywhere near safe :slight_smile:
[/spoiler]

[quote=“Cat09, post:5, topic:5791”]Gun of the Sun - super artefact
spoiler to save space [spoiler]
before the cataclysm, the military launched a powered satellite into very close orbit around the sun, this sat has 2 functions, 1 use the massive energy from the sun to stay in orbit, 2 maintain it’s side of a portal

on earth is the device that makes the other side of that portal.
It would cause an insane increase in temperature in a tight cone in it’s aimed direction, cause a large explosion at it’s target, and generate a patch of lava at it’s target.

you must be wearing very heat resistant gear to be anywhere near safe :slight_smile:
[/spoiler][/quote]

Huh. I read that as a “hammer of dawn” style weapon.

Hammer of dawn would be cool too.

If there is already diamond katana in, how about Jedi light-sabre…?
I’m sure some SW nut-head would be thrilled to add it and peeps would be all over it.

no i haven’t searched the forum, but… i’m sure,
eai

These are all great weapon ideas. They also make use of microwaves, which is awesome. They are far better then my ideas, but here are my ideas nevertheless. I can imagine wonderful downsides (and upgrades to them if your a Cephelopod)!

MDP Pistol: The Molecular Dissembler Platform Pistol fires a small package of one-shot nanites. These nanites are not capable of self-reproduction, but are capable of disassembling anything they touch until they wear out, which typically has the effect of liquifying almost anything they touch into a molecularly inert sludge.

MDP Rocket: A larger version of the MDP Pistol, the only difference being that the platform delivery device contains a larger reservoir of the molecular dissembler units. Capable of dissolving entire vehicles or buildings into inert sludge, these weapons are technically banned by several treaties, but research is widely known to have persisted.

Ammo: MDP Package. This ammunition should be very dangerous to store and transport, because if anything goes wrong… … well, its not good for you, or the building your in.

ADS Rifle: The Active Denial System rifle uses radiation to create a neurological illusion of burning alive. Targets under the effect of the ADS system react as if they are on fire in a very large radius; however after the cataclysm there are many creatures which may not be effected by this.

Note: The above is real, though they are still refining the design.

Laser-Cooling Rifle: This rifle fires lasers that are specifically calibrated to reduce atomic motion in their targets, significantly reducing temperature.

Source for the 'Laser Cooling Rifle: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/optmod/lascool.html (Though there was also a nature article where they got stuff like it to work in limited circumstances, I can’t find it right now; it is based in reality, albeit impractical and futuristic reality)

Microwave Heavy Weapon could work. Needs an LRAD too. (Yeah, the sound on that thing carries for a mile at least. I lived in Pittsburgh when the G-20 stopped in for a few days. Ugh. Will attract Moar Targets though!)

[quote=“elauminx, post:7, topic:5791”]If there is already diamond katana in, how about Jedi light-sabre…?
I’m sure some SW nut-head would be thrilled to add it and peeps would be all over it.

no i haven’t searched the forum, but… i’m sure,
eai[/quote]

Lightsabers have been proposed and shot down already. Peeps slammed the Heatblades, too. A self-contained plasma blade isn’t happening, since the plasma gun wasn’t quite up for mainstream distribution by the time the Cata hit.

I know because I was around for those discussions. Agreed that the forum search tends to be rather imprecise, though.

As for the rest of the stuff, well, modpack at best. Keep it realistic, folks. You complain about the game being too easy with the existing gear; no need to ask us for even more. ;-|

Meh, 50/50, You become immortal. Or you are a twig without any ability to fight.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:1, topic:5791”]X11- MARAUDER

Should probably deplete a whole canister of hydrogen per shot and something like 100 batteries.[/quote]
Errrmmmm… There is an little problem with Plasma: It looses it’s temperature pretty fast and isn’t as powerfull after some distance (in space it would loose temperature pretty quick and in an atmosphere it would spread and cool out too pretty much after… 100-500m [due to the fact that you would need massive magnetic fields to keep it close together etc. and to give an plasma weapon an reach over 5-10km you would need an weapon at least of the size of an building]). So it’s more like an shotgun rather than an weapon wich will shoot an ball of destruction wich will vaporise everything in front of you untill it hits the end of the universe… And I don’t think that they could make such an weapon wich could fit onto an vehicle let alone make it an weapon wich could be carried around by an person (or at least in the next 200 years without giant leaps in science etc.)!

Ohh yeah I know, I just wasn’t attempting to be realist at all with that one, took a bit for someone to actually mention it. Powerwise, remember that the cataclysm world has compact portable fusion reactors (well I guess that’s what a fusion cell is right?) snd I m not sure about the range because well the projectile travels at significant fraction of light speed but yeah, even if we found a way for the plasma not to dissipate, it would violently explode against the first surface it impacts, nothing about a limitless ring of +5 vaporization.

Just that getting through the pain of getting a plasma weapon only to find that its an expensive sciency LAW would be pretty disapointing, thats why I said it was capable of overpenetration.

Obciously all of them (perhaps the military microwave gun not?) belong in whatever mod pack we place the other fusion/plasma guns in.

Why not make it like this: Magic! (Or super advanced Science from Aliens or such stuff)

Hmmm Maybe some weapon wich shoots an super heated projectile? An super Alloy bullet filled with some chemicals wich super heat it after it’s shot or it gets incase by plasma?

Hmmm Plasma grenades… EMP grenades… Why not an “Teleport” grenade? “After some Accidents at teleporter test some Scientists came up with the idea of using an uncontrolled Teleport as an weapon” As said it’s an uncontrolled teleport, wich will distort Space in an area for an short amount of time wich will result into damage on sub-atomic level. (Teleporters have nasty side effects so why not use an grenade wich “scrambles” Space around it to do damage?)

Firearms are already vastly better than any other weapon in the game, i don’t understand why we would want to add even stronger ones.
Because if we keep adding more and more guns to Cata we run the risk of turning a Zombie Apocalypse Survivalcraft game into a top-down ASCII shooter with zombies in it.

I have to agree with Adrian - ranged weapons are already super powerful, and it seems as though this will make them more so. However, I’d love to see all the sci-fi stuff modularized and expanded on heavily. Then you could really go a bit heavier on the sci-fi stuff without it disrupting the folks that like a bit more realism/survival.