Floor with no exit (Spoilers?)

So, I’ve been working towards reaching the bottom of a science lab for a while now. One of the cold ones. Battling the -97 C temperatures proved to be quite the engineering challenge, but I eventually managed it with two full sets of thermal electric garments and a fur blanket. Finally managed to get to the bottom (there was a message about there being a short drop about halfway down, so I brought a rope with me just in case), and survived a battle against four security bots by the skin of my teeth. Final rewards: A fusion gun with ammo, a quantum solar panel (was wondering where you found those) and a recipe book for an Atomic Battery (Really?? Atomic Battery is considered an endgame recipe? I’ve been able to construct Advanced UPSes and UPS conversion mods for ages now, which achieve the same effect). Not what I was hoping for, but not too shabby.

As soon as the fight was over, I started looking for the way out. I didn’t have to look long, as the room was pretty small, and there was definitely no way back up to the previous floor that I could find, or even any place for me to use my rope. My character was trapped. To my knowledge there are three possible reasons as to why.

1. Map generation error.
  2. There was a computer or some other switching mechanism capable of opening a passageway that was destroyed during the fight with the sentry bots, though I can’t see the typical wreckage you get from PCs, so this seems unlikely.
  3. A developer being a dick.

Given that the devs i’ve talked to thus far seem like reasonable folks, i’m assuming it’s just an error with mapgen, and reporting it as such. If this is a deliberate design intended to trap new players, I have quite the rant prepared, but i’ll take that to the suggestions forum.

[quote=“Solusphere, post:1, topic:6897”]So, I’ve been working towards reaching the bottom of a science lab for a while now. One of the cold ones. Battling the -97 C temperatures proved to be quite the engineering challenge, but I eventually managed it with two full sets of thermal electric garments and a fur blanket. Finally managed to get to the bottom (there was a message about there being a short drop about halfway down, so I brought a rope with me just in case), and survived a battle against four security bots by the skin of my teeth. Final rewards: A fusion gun with ammo, a quantum solar panel (was wondering where you found those) and a recipe book for an Atomic Battery (Really?? Atomic Battery is considered an endgame recipe? I’ve been able to construct Advanced UPSes and UPS conversion mods for ages now, which achieve the same effect). Not what I was hoping for, but not too shabby.

As soon as the fight was over, I started looking for the way out. I didn’t have to look long, as the room was pretty small, and there was definitely no way back up to the previous floor that I could find, or even any place for me to use my rope. My character was trapped. To my knowledge there are three possible reasons as to why.

1. Map generation error.
  2. There was a computer or some other switching mechanism capable of opening a passageway that was destroyed during the fight with the sentry bots, though I can’t see the typical wreckage you get from PCs, so this seems unlikely.
  3. A developer being a dick.

Given that the devs i’ve talked to thus far seem like reasonable folks, i’m assuming it’s just an error with mapgen, and reporting it as such. If this is a deliberate design intended to trap new players, I have quite the rant prepared, but i’ll take that to the suggestions forum.[/quote]

1. mapgen issue, unfortunately. Known issue, been debated whether folks should consider it a bug (you’d logically know/clear out your path coming down the stairs, but a downstair might be Hidden) but this sort of thing has been around.

Specifically, stairs can spawn under furniture or in places one wouldn’t expect (I’ve come down a lab stairwell into a locked cell. Straight out of Eternal Darkness, except for the sanity issue being on whoever built it, since the stairway was actually there and not a hallucination). You’re authorized to debug an upstair (via the debug menu map editor) if that file’s still around, because IMO it makes no sense to go down an intact stairway and not be able to locate it to go back up.