Farming/Drugs

You need to be able to use the hoe to make ground plant-able. Add seeds. Plants can be individually watered or you can find supplies to add in a watering system, provided you have the water. Then you don’t always have to forage for food. And if you are going to have drugs, you need to be able to manufacture your own supply. Cuz i get reallll itchy when i cant find my fix! (cook meth, grow pot, etc.)
-thanks

You can already cook meth, heroin and crack (although the crack does require cocaine as an ingredient, IIRC).

Farming’s been kicked around before, I think the big concerns people had were balance (low-risk renewable food) and fitting the theme of the game.

Farming would take months in game time for any crops to grow surely?

Well to decrease the pobability of a person just sitting in their farmhouse all day I suggest a couple of things.

1. There are rotting plants, so that if I throw tomatoes on the ground with a little water, they might rot.
  2. Possibly also vegetarian creatures, like rabbits and such coming to eat your food (and razor wire might keep them out.
  3. A reasonable grow period is required, just like Captain said.

This is why I might suggest a Farming skill. Which would affect such things as:

1. Probability of rotting
  2. Seeds that you can get out of tomatoes or potatoes
  3. The grow period would not be affected, because great farmers are not magicians.

Possibly also the interation of fertilizer, cooked out of something. Also it would be nice to track plants individually, so that different conditions affect their nutricious outcome. As for things in terms of watering. I dont know how often plants need to be watered, does it change with the specific plant? Purified water would not be as good for the plants as unpurified water (I think) because it has more bacteria and other things plants use. Irrigation would be too complex to interate at this point in time and finally rain would automatically water the plants for you, Harvest moon style.

Cataclysm Moon: Friends of a Zombified Town

Who will Jack marry? Will it be Z, or Rajav Thompson?

[quote=“Benedict, post:5, topic:655”]Cataclysm Moon: Friends of a Zombified Town

Who will Jack marry? Will it be Z, or Rajav Thompson?[/quote]

Holy shit

Crack Factory 3: Return to the apocalypse

Harvest moon… 10/10

Yes… YES… YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES I want to grow my own marijuana and smoke it on a rocking chair, shooting zombies with my fusion blaster arm.

The game already uses seasons that are even faster than those in harvest moon. All that would be missing is those cake rice ball thingies that the main character always produces out of thin air.

In all seriousness though, farming would be cool. Obviously it wouldn’t be super realistic to be able to grow crops in a fortnight, but it would be a nice alternative to the other methods of food foraging. Let’s face it: it’s pretty easy finding enough meat to gorge yourself on past a certain level in this game. The only thing farming would change is that it would be a more rewarding way of finding nourishment, cause you actually had to wait a whole bloody season to see them grow. I don’t know if I would ever really have the patience to do it in the game, but it’s definitely a cool option.

Yeah it would be an very nice improvement, but there should be a option to let you chose the ‘‘dificulty of farming’’ something like:

Time until seed grow: 10 day (a minimun for inexperienced players) - 1 seasons(a reallistic maximum for experienced players).
Also the time taking for growing should affect how much vegetables/fruits the seed produced.

By the way, the ‘‘Dificulty of farming’’ option should be a specific from a ‘‘general dificulty’’ option.

TY.

If everyone is worried about the balancing (The low risk with high payoff) make it so there is a XX% chance the plant will mutate into a fungal or plant monster upon full maturity.

(The monsters came from SOMEWHERE right? Maybe all the fallout and mutating viruses from the hell dimension are causing plants to become monsters. Seems legit…Enough.)

You would have to grow it away from your base, to ensure your safety, but this would allow bunny’s, deer, bears and Joe from down the block to eat your hard earned food-stuffs.

and a single bad crop could make all those defenses you set up around it become destroyed and useless as the plants begin to terraform the place into a swamp. (Plant Monsters will eventually do that right? Maybe not idk) And even if they do not, the defenses will just make the area harder to clear out later, potentially forcing you to move your entire base.

[quote=“Jericoshost, post:10, topic:655”]If everyone is worried about the balancing (The low risk with high payoff) make it so there is a XX% chance the plant will mutate into a fungal or plant monster upon full maturity.

(The monsters came from SOMEWHERE right? Maybe all the fallout and mutating viruses from the hell dimension are causing plants to become monsters. Seems legit…Enough.)

You would have to grow it away from your base, to ensure your safety, but this would allow bunny’s, deer, bears and Joe from down the block to eat your hard earned food-stuffs.

and a single bad crop could make all those defenses you set up around it become destroyed and useless as the plants begin to terraform the place into a swamp. (Plant Monsters will eventually do that right? Maybe not idk) And even if they do not, the defenses will just make the area harder to clear out later, potentially forcing you to move your entire base.[/quote]

Forgot to add this: Also every plant should have a chance to fail, which decreases based on factors and care given. As well it decreases the further along the plant is towards maturity.

Fungifying crops is believable…to a point.

[spoiler]
The fungus, so far as I can tell, is either Netherworld* plant life or plant life that’s been infested with the same stuff that makes the zeds. (If I had to bet, I’d say infestation, but there’s not enough evidence available to prove anything IMO.) Quickest way to verify this is to get a supply of marloss berries, become a Carrier, find an open space, and chow down.

*Check the science labs.[/spoiler]
Problem is that fungus (rapidly) spawns more hostiles but doesn’t seem to alter terrain. That requires an alternate approach. Thus, from my perspective, having crops get corrupted ought to imply some external factor the player can fix. (Not “remove the virus from the groundwater”. Practically impossible with available resources.) Perhaps there’s some sort of fungal mass underground or in the woods (kinda like a weaker Spire) that the player could torch?

Triffids are sentient plants from a 1950s survival-horror novel. Would argue that crops are unlikely to mutate into Triffids as Triffids are already a mutant plant species of their own. (If it’s that easy, why hasn’t the entire forest turned?)

Mostly because the forest grew years before the cataclysm, and newly growing plants could be affected by the stuff causing the fungus and mold?

Maybe, though IIRC there are fungal trees in the Bloom square or if you’ve been getting the pinks on. (Thus, I’d think that trees aren’t immune to the fungus.) My comment about the forest mutating was in relation to Triffids only.

Fungal infestation just seems an awfully harsh penalty for farming, IMO. Planting & watering crops is player-side work, and having them randomly go Fungal without any way for the player to prevent or stop it would seriously discourage the practice, I’d imagine.

Well, I said that certain factors and actions can lower the chance, such as anti-fungal treatments, fertilizers, weeding, etc.
The chance would be reduced greatly, but I am more thinking the plants become a fungal creature which can’t breed? Less of a hazard, but still dangerous.

I don’t recall seeing that, but it’s late and I’ve been preoccupied over in the Professions thread. Fair enough; young fungaloids can’t breed so one or two might be a decent Nasty Surprise. Still not something I’d want to happen often or without some way to clue in the player beforehand.

Maybe a day or two before maturity (And friut/veg baring) if you have a high skill in survival, or cooking (Or gardening) you can see it coming and pull up the plant by its roots. And maybe a new item, like a gardeners helper from Pre-CATA could show a general readout of a plants status and would read ANOMALY when a plant is mutating?